G1 Autobot Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    So I took a different approach to the way I collect Alternators by just sticking with the original G1 Autobot characters (except for Skids who looks like ass) and avoiding the new names, new designs (Grimlock) and the Decepticons altogether. That gives me this collection:

Hound
    Wheeljack
    Prowl
    Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Windcharger
    Jazz aka Meister
    Mirage
    Silverstreak aka Bluestreak
    Smokescreen
    Tracks

I know it's probably been asked a million times already, but are there any chances/announcements at all that we may still see *official* (USA) versions of these characters instead of more new ones or more Decepticons:

Bumblebee
    Cliffjumper
    Trailbreaker
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Brawn
    Red Alert

I'd like to think they can still give BB a different car model other than the expected VW Beetle, Cliffjumper being a sport car like everyone else, Trailbreaker, Ironhide, Ratchet & Brawn all being some kind of large SUV and/or truck, and Red Alert being a repainted police car that simply says "Fire Dept" instead.

At the same time, I see these 2 new designs for Rumble & Ravage and hear that they will be the last Alternators made because of focus being shifted to the Classics and official movie toy lines. So is that actually a confirmed fact or just speculation? I understand switching primary focus to the new lines, but I don't see how issuing another half dozen or so G1 inspired Alternators on the side would really effect anything else they (Hasbro) are doing.

Any info/input about this? And if this subject has already been beaten to death before I joined the forums, don't hesitate to redirect me to those threads. No offence will be taken :) 

2. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Still waiting for Runabout and Runamuck, myself.

3. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Thats exactly how I collect Alts. Except I bought Grimlock before I deceided on it.

4. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

LIES!

He looks hawt IMO, and has one of the best bot modes when it comes to looks and poseability.

:p 

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Hehe, fair enough. I personally just can't stomach the flame decals or the word "SCION" written in huge letters across the windshield. Apparently not many others can either, considering the huge quantities I see of this guy sitting on store shelves all alone... and even marked down to $19.99 CAN in some places. In another couple of months they'll probably be giving him away just to clear the stock :) 

But seriously, it's too bad they couldn't have just kept him blue and dropped the cheesy flames & windshield text. I would have bought him instantly otherwise, since he is technically a G1 character.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's why you keep Skids in robot mode - breaks that stuff up. :) 

7. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

Same here Mblase. More so Runamuck because he was a Trans Am. The Camaro is coming back and with Bumblebee being one in the movie I'm sure based on how detailed the movie toy is he could be made white and make a nice Runamuck.

I say we need to see a retro-Alternators line which could be like a TF VOTC line. Make the old toys over with Alternator level articulation but with the old vehicle designs kind of like what they did with MP Prime. I don't know maybe it's a stretch. I just want an 80s Trans Am Transformer!

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you get BT* Alert and BT Zoom Zoom, you can put Alert's head on Zoom and get a pretty descent Cliffjumper. That's what I did and he looks hawt. Plus, now that we are getting a kitty Ravage, you can put Cybertron Runamuck's head on the old Corvette Ravage and make your own Runabout. I did that too.

9. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    You do know that a good soaking in Simple Green will take that stuff right off, don't you?

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oooh, do you have a picture of that ravage with runamuck's head on?

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I've only been a member of this forum for a couple of months myself (not counting a few months of lurking beforehand), but from what I've read, when it comes to Alts they could all quote Samuel Clemens: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." Seems they've been proclaimed dead several times, only to come back kicking @ss with a figure like Mirage.

So I wouldn't write them off as dead just yet. Since Alternators is a collector-oriented line, it could probably just creep along for years, at the outskirts of the main Transformers theme (Cybertron, Classics, Movie, whatever) and still draw in a certain section of the fanbase. We might still see some of those old G1 guys come back in Alternator form..... Ironhide, Ratchet, and Bumblebee in particular seem to be heavily requested by the fanbase, so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Like you, I wish for a complete set of G1 figures. But when I reached the end of what was available....... that's what drove me to start customizing my own. Like lots of folks, I've done a head swap with BTA Red Alert and Red Meister to get a Cliffjumper, applied the Reprolabels sticker set to Prowl to get a more show-accurate Red Alert, and am halfway through a conversion of Nemesis Prime into Trailbreaker. I know kitbashing/sticker conversion isn't everyone's cup of tea.... it wasn't mine for a long time. But the way I see it, when one person does it it's a kitbash..... when five or six people do it it's a good idea....

And when dozens of people do it and Reprolabels releases a conversion kit, well Hell, it's practically official. :) 

P.S. Kitbashing aside, if you're willing to dip into the more expensive Binaltech world, you can round out your collection a bit more. There is a no-flames, solid blue Skids, who even comes with G1-accurate stickers, and a [somewhat loose] Red Alert homage called simply "Alert." Both are great figures, though they'll cost a pretty penny.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Skids rules.
    [​IMG]

That is all.

Thank you.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I agree! Skids is one of my favorites! I like both BT and ALT versions. The BT one is a lot cleaner and def looks like skids and as the last true BT his value may go up.....you never know lol.

14. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I also just collect Autobot Alts, but may make exceptions for Ravage & Rumble.

The only way you'll get a Trailbreaker Alt is by kitbasking or stickering (is that a word?) a Prime or Nemesis Prime.

I also don't expect to see a Bumblebee unless he's a Camaro like in the movie, but I am getting the Classics Bumblebee to go with my collection since he seems to be close in scale (at least in robot form) going by a picture I have seen with him next to Alt Mirage. As for the rest on your wishlist there, only time will tell if we get them and I hope we do eventually.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Red Alert /Alert is available as a Binaltech* already so you don't have to kitbash him. Blaster/Broadblast I've heard of people using to kitbash Ironhide or even Perceptor. And I like the idea of combining Camshaft and Blue Prowl to make Nightbeat. Also we have Hot Rod thanks to Kiss Play. Rollbar might make a good Sandstorm kitbash, not sure about Ricochet. But it would be nice to see these guys come out at the cheaper Alt. prices.

And I like Skids too.

16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I have a feeling we'll never see a Rachet, Ironhide, or Bumblebee Alternators past the movie versions.

Its no chance that those three are movie autobots, and they don't have alternator forms.

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think you are probably right.... I think Hasbro/Takara missed the window on this one. It's a shame, really, since those are such popular characters. If Alternators is really on its way out, I wish they would go out with a bang and release some of these guys.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    But he has Japanese writing all over him, and that kills the selling feature for me.

I've never kitbashed before and have no desire to risk it. Even with Alternators being cheaper, it's still an expensive way to potentially find out that my kitbashing skills suck :)  I love the Trailerbreaker kb, but just don't have the confidence that I could pull it off successfully.

If there was at least an easy way to remove all the decal crap from Skids, I'd go buy him. But something tells me none of that stuff would come off easily... or at all.

And yeah, I also figured we probably wouldn't see Alt versions of Ironhide, Ratchet & BB since the movie is so close, but that really shouldn't effect things considering they made Prime & Meister aka Jazz into Alt's. It's not like those of us who collect Binal/Alts wouldn't buy them just because there also happen to be movie versions out as well.

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Guess you're kinda stuck if you don't like the writing on them. I can't kitbash either and the writing doesn't bother me so I already have Skids and I want to get Alert. And I pretend that Camshaft is Nightbeat, the yellow face and the blue highlights are enough for me without any kitbashing. I also think you could get away with calling Rollbar, Sandstorm without any kitbashing if he's a character you like.

If you want a Trailbreaker, but doubt your kitbashing skills maybe you could try doing a headswap that looks Trailbreaker-ish (maybe Rollbar's) and put it on Ricochet (which would be a lot cheaper and easier to find than a Nemesis Prime) if you don't mind him being a black sports car instead of a black truck. Just a suggestion. Or you could find someone who does kitbashes and negotiate price with them so they make you a Trailbreaker out of Nemesis.

I'd love to see Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, etc. show up in the line too, but right now I'm just hoping for Hot Rod stateside so I don't have to get KP, even tough I want that fishing pole.

I FINALLY found Alt Mirage yesterday! So I'm in a very good mood.

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Sure do!!

[​IMG]