G1 art work /posters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by coppertop5150, Feb 13, 2011.

1. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

Sorry to get off to a bad start on the other thread,,, I have a starscream sense of humor at times. :dunce 

I have some old posters .

A orginal movie poster with mail away offer on back

A glow in the dark battle scene poster that came with a toy a decipher the decepticons sweepstakes entry form on the backside
    its uncut and the entry form still intact

A 1984-85 battle scene poster that came with dinobots and insecticons as the main focus with skyfire in the middle the reverse side is blank

A prisim 14 sticker set that lifts and sticks onto a outer space background

A movie sticker book with a handfull of unstuck pictures

Some robot points cut from the boxes.

How would I find a value for these? are they collectable

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Since this is not the first thread you've made about finding values for your childhood items you're now thinking you'd like to sell...

Make a thread in the buy/sell/trade section of this site, and ask people to PM you with offers.

If you want to know how much stuff is going for now, try to find completed auctions for the same or similar items on ebay. Keep in mind the condition of the item will affect its value.

I hate to say it though, but none of the items in this thread are in particularly high demand, I don't think.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It would also help if you posted pictures of items in question. Picture's worth a thousand words..................
    might be worth a few bucks too! :) 

4. coppertop5150

I asked becuase these are not " toy items " So i thought they did not belong in the toy thread area I also checked ebay and can't find completed sales for these item.

But feel free to move this thread to a proper forum

Ill see if i can get pics up..... I'm asking for a " memorobila reference price guide " if I cant find anything online thought someone could point me in the right direction

Im not selling ALL my toys just my loose and unboxed figures. Im keeping my boxed figures

5. coppertop5150

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. coppertop5150

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. coppertop5150

[​IMG]

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I would say they're probably not worth more than a couple of quid, tops

They're cool to have, and nice to look at, but that's about it.

The original art would be worth something for sure, but not the folded up ones that shipped in a million toy boxes, even if they are 20-odd years old.

Now, I lolled at the club membership thread, and am slightly wary that "How much is my worthless paperwork worth?" thread isn't entirely serious either.

9. coppertop5150

Well , I am sure they are not worth a fortune, BUT I am also sure someone that collects
    G1 figures would want to frame some G1 art work to put on the walls behind their displays

If someone has G1 MIB toys the art work is still packed inside opeing the toy coukd lowerits value , also one important thing is this . Back in the day alot of children pinned and taped these up to the walls of their bedrooms and destroyed the posters. Although mine are folded like they should be they are non pinned/holed or taped.

I bet alot of these are long gone and someone new to G1 collecting is interested in this knd of stuff , some might not even know it exist being they might never purchased boxed toys complete with all the inserts.

Also someone on a forum mentioned that the KO's toys reissues do not come with the contest and prize give away mailers.

I suspect somewhere someone is in seek of this stuff.

Sure they might seem like folded up posters inserted into toy boxes, But of the millions of G1 toys sold how many still have their boxes? Of those how many still have the insert posters?Of that how many still have a sweepstakes entry form glow in the dark poster uncut with the entry form still attached to the posters bottom?

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    You might find someone, somewhere, looking for just these items, but don't expect them to be willing to pay much, especially since these don't look to be in much better condition than the ones that got tacked to walls and shoved in lockers back in the day.

11. coppertop5150

aernarh yes but ones that got tacked up and shoved in lockers are long gone

These may " look worn " infact they are just fold marks from orginal packing storage
    They are not yellowed, pinned ,torn,holed or compromised in anyway. except for that movie sticker book , that things pretty beat but the value is in the 100's of unstuck stickers that go with it
    Once unfolded and framed these posters would look " vintage " and be orginal dated and copyrighted G1 art workd , unlike some reprint movie posters that I see floating around the internet.

A friend went to botcon and said he saw posters in the same shape framed and on display in the 40-100$ range

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Then throw them up on ebay and hopefully people will pay that for them. If your friend already told you what they were priced at at Botcon, just go with that, though that price probably includes a nice framing job, which can cost quite a bit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd say that the only ones that may fetch more than a few bucks are the glow in the dark ones. IIRC they were only avaliable for a limited time with the 1986 toys.

14. coppertop5150

thanks guys ,

aren , That lies the problem framing and shipping for large framed objects really cuts into what people will spend.

Buying a folded poster mailed to a person cost 99 cent shipping a framed post could be closer to $15-20 to ship

Plus people at a show or exhibit often pay more becuase of the ' spur of the moment " thing. Wanting a memory to take home from the event

thanks for the advice on the glow inthe dark posters, I have two of them. Good to know something might be worth hanging onto or bring a prem if i sell.

I was trying to find out info about prices and if a demand exist .

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Outside of TF toys, no such thing exists.

Vintage TF posters and assorted vintage merchandise are more difficult to "appraise" for their value than TF toys are.

Ultimately, the value is determined by whatever a collector is willing to pay for it. You can try to convince us here that they're worth more, but the only way you'll know is to put them up for sale through ebay or the Junkion Exchange forum. Ask for offers and see what happens.

Depends on what the poster is and how it's framed, and if it happens to be autographed as well.

I paid $15 for a TFTM reprint theatrical poster at a convention (and there's one selling on ebay for the same price currently). And the last poster frames I bought cost me about $12 each. But professional framing can be very pricey (my step-father-in-law just paid about $800 to have some artwork matted and framed).

I'm often more interested in vintage TF merch than in the toys and have quite a collection of it. But the items you're selling -- if I were buying I wouldn't pay more than $5 for any of them because they just don't appear to be in very good shape. But that's just me.

I'm cheap and look for bargain finds on vintage TF stuff, but as a vintage TF merch collector if I were asked to appraise your items...

> A orginal movie poster with mail away offer on back

The item you have pictured is not what collectors would consider to be an "original movie poster." It looks more like a toy pack-in promo poster, and it's significantly smaller than a standard movie poster size.

The condition of this item is not very good either: the fold creases have actually damaged this item over time, and has also caused slight tearing on the edges where the folds are. Also appears to be some slight bends and scratches on the poster.

If I weren't cheap, I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it in that condition.

> A glow in the dark battle scene poster that came with a toy a decipher the decepticons sweepstakes entry form on the backside its uncut and the entry form still intact

An interesting and less-circulated item, but it was also a toy pack-in promo poster and thus has the same creasing issues that the previous item has...although it's not as obvious. I also see some small scratches and the top corners look a little bent.

But considering it's a lesser-known item, I would pay maybe $5-6 tops for an item in this condition. And there's one selling on ebay right now for $10, and it's in much better condition than yours.

> A 1984-85 battle scene poster that came with dinobots and insecticons as the main focus with skyfire in the middle the reverse side is blank

This got wide circulation as a toy pack-in back in the 80s. I'd go as far as to say that there's hardly a G1 collector among us who hasn't owned one.

So it definitely has solid nostalgic value. But again, the poor condition of this item drives down the value: white creasing on the fold lines, bent corners, wrinkled edges, and you've even got an unnatural fold that goes all the way across the left side of the poster.

This one probably sells for between $10-15 in good condition. I'd value yours at $5-7 tops. And more serious collectors would pass on it immediately for one in better shape.

> A prisim 14 sticker set that lifts and sticks onto a outer space background

This is a more unique and less-circulated item. You should have taken 2 pics of this one: boxed and open to show the background with stickers. Having the original box will give it more value, but since I can't see the condition of that box I can't give a fair estimate on the value. Does appear to be some some box damage though from what's showing. But the stickers and background appear in good shape. As long as none of the stickers are torn, I could see a fan paying upwards of $10-15 for this. But again, that value is pending on what the condition of the box is. Without knowing that, as a collector if I were going to make you an offer it would be $5-7 tops.

> A movie sticker book with a handfull of unstuck pictures

The value of the sticker book itself will vary. Some collectors prefer it unused, but most seem to want it with the complete sticker collection already included (that way you don't have to hunt down missing ones).

Does yours have all the stickers included?

But again, the value on yours is affected by the poor condition: yellowed pages, torn corners, wrinkled edges, and the spine edge has the white frayed-looking fold crease damage.

I couldn't see it selling like this for more than $7-8, and that seems too generous. I know I wouldn't pay more than $4-5 for it if I needed one.

And there just isn't much demand for it except for collectors who might be trying to track down one from their childhood. Also, collectors would pass over yours for one in better condition.

Unused stickers sell for between $2-3 on ebay, although I personally wouldn't pay more than $1 for them. There were apparently a LOT of these that didn't sell back in the 80s and they ended up in discount stores. I bought a couple boxes of unopened packs at a grocery store called "Ike's" when I was living in Memphis. And from time to time, a crop of unopened packs will pop up on ebay from sellers who probably found them dirt cheap at a flea market or yard sale.

> Some robot points cut from the boxes.

Extremely low demand for this. Current ebay auctions are mostly lot sales. Robot points for a TF toy that's in higher demand might fetch more like the 16-point one on ebay currently for Fort Max selling for $15, but that "or best offer" note tells me the seller would probably accept a bid for less than $10.

Original tech specs cut from boxes have better value than robot points, for obvious reasons.

16. coppertop5150

thanks guys ( voiceroy ), for the input ,
    I have over 40 tech specs I FOGOT ALL ABOUT THOSE !

these posters stickers and books estimate from above out the value about $30-$40 together
    I dont think that to bad and seems to be fair.
    Plus someone might want a glow in the darks poster for a metroplex or ultramagnus toy to stick in the box

although they are used and worn as pointed about, someone collects this stuff

for the stickers is that $2-3 each ? if so I have small fortune along in sticker

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Bear in mind that the cost of S&H also affects the overall price for interested buyers. For example, shipping that box of Prism stickers would cost you around $10. So if you listed that one on ebay for $15 or best offer, the buyer will consider that they still have to pay another $10 on top. And there's no way that set is worth $25 to a TF fan -- even an obsessive-compulsive one would pass on that.

"One man's junk..." as they say.

And like I said, in terms of collectibility, the value is always best determined by the buyer.

That's what they're selling for on ebay. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone's buying. There's just not much demand for them. The same person is selling like 100 of them individually on ebay, which I think is foolish considering what the ebay fees will cost him when they don't sell. The seller will be lucky if he even sells a few of them before the auctions expire. He should have done a lot auction to get rid of them.

If there were still a few I was looking for, yeah, I'd pay upwards of $2-3 each to complete it just to be done with it. But the low demand and low value on the stickers overall just doesn't make them worth much.

18. coppertop5150

voice, right now ebay has free listing and if they dont sell no charge,
    plus stores pay a "flat rate " per month to list all they want

Any stickers you need . ?

19. coppertop5150

i do think my first pics were not 100% accurate to the condition I just threw um on the bed and snapped pics, the flash kinda made um look ugly.

Here is the GND poster looks nicer unfolded and no flash reflecting on the surface
    snapped a better picture
    [​IMG]

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Hm. Did not know this. I haven't bought anything off ebay since the late 90s. I just use the site now for determining resell value.

You must have overlooked this:

And I think your earlier pictures were better, frankly, because the flash picks up details that a buyer would need to know in advance. That last one you took is out of focus and doesn't show the flaws. If you use that pic to sell it, your buyer will not be happy with you.