2D Artwork: G1 Arcee

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by gdpwatson, Feb 6, 2009.

1. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Hey all,

It's been a while since i posted here so i hope you are all keeping well. The following pic is a collaboration between myself and a buddy on DeviantArt.

I did the lines and he did the colours. Check out his page as he is incredibly impressive: nightwing1975 on deviantART

This is my take on G1 Arcee in which i made reference to several different sources including the animated movie, the MTMTE profile book and pretty much whatever else i could find. I then made some of my own tweaks, most notably to her helmet where i dropped the huge Princess Leia buns in favour of something a little more subtle.

I hope you guys like as it's the first time i've ever attempted a femmebot.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Well the technical bits seem alright and the fembot design as well, inking colouring and such are all good, bit flarehappy but good.

There's however a rather significant and avoidable (read: fixable) problem with this image which is more about charisma.; At the moment, the image doesn't "do" anything emotionally to the viewer. As is, it looks like she's just falling to the left while holding two guns (possibly a bit of a posing problem, but that can't be helped now). What you can do is try to use the following crits:

- There's no expression on her face that provides a sense of urgency, stress, concentration, nothing. It's blank. It takes all the emotion out of the image -> do something with her eyes and lips to provide an expression fitting to the pose and mental scene.
    - The guns. They're not firing while you're drawing a lot of attention to them. Adding some sort of effect as if they're firing (or she's fired upon) would increase the 'drama level' of the picture a lot already.
    - Next to that, You could have done a bit more with foreshortening to make the concept of the guns pointed towards the viewer more impacting. I kinda doubt you can edit that now though without some rigorous editing on your and the colourist's part.
    - Another thing is the background. It's dull and static. It would probably have been nice to see for example a high res, faded version of her in the background if it was a clean easy background. Alternatively, what I'd suggest would be to use a background that provides a sense of motion or speed to the image, enhancing the effects of the pose by giving it direction. In this case, rather than vertical/horizontal elements, diagonal elements lower right to top left would probably give best results. Rather than black, I'd suggest light and simple bright coloured speed lines (whatever size you think fits best with the image), which would spice it up a bit (say orange on white or something).

Lastly, about the pose and angle, it's very static because you're looking straight at her, pretty much all her body parts are at the same angle (straightforward), which this makes the image flatter and her stiffer than needed. An angle with a 3/4 type shot would probably make it more alive and would give it more depth.

For now I'd mainly suggest to focus on editing the background and face though!

Hope you can use these crits to your advantage, maybe not all for this one, but a next time. :) 

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree with quint on this.

I think a smile would of really helped. As for the changes to the head well I dunno I can see why you removed the Laya buns but I think the armour around the face should have stayed but thats just my view

Also I think a bigger head would have been nicer since the proportions for the head are more like a man then a woman same maybe with the shoulder area its all very wide.

but these are all minor things and I think its quite nice over all just a few minor issues

4. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. It really is great to get crits from the likes of yourselves, both of whom i have been watching on DA for some time now. I don't think that i'll ever reach the heights of awesomeness that you have achieved but i'll certainly try!!

Han, your feedback is greatly, greatly appreciated! Yeah it's too late to change most of the things you mentioned but that's ok. I very rarely go back and fix things anyway. Usually i take note of my mistakes and move onto the next thing.

As for Arcee herself, she did start out as this:

[​IMG]

That's the final inks. My buddy opted to change her orientation to be more in keeping with his own gallery. Initially the intention was that she is diving sideways preparing to fire her guns. He also added lips which i thought worked in favour of my bland open mouth, but maybe it was better as is. Who knows, either way your point still stands.

There was no background with the pic, this was intended more as a single character pinup. If i want to improve i guess i need to spend the time required to do these things and get them right.

As for her pose, it's rare that i draw something this 'static'. Usually i prefer the 3/4 shot as you say. As this was my first femmebot/female character i have attempted i felt that i'd keep it simple to begin with and maybe next time branch out a bit more.

As i say i doubt i'll revisit this pic as i just drew and inked it but every piece of advice has been noted for future projects so thanks for that. I'm sure i'll continue to learn from people such as yourself that are willing to impart advice.

Blitz, hey man! Simply love your artwork! Incredible stuff! Both yourself and Han are just way out of my league!!

Again, your advice is greatly appreciated and your words very encouraging. I didn't realise that i had drawn her so male-like! Dammit! Maybe that's a sub-conscious throwback to the IDW version! lol!

Thanks again for the words guys. Much appreciated. :)  :) 

5. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Looks sweet.

6. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Ah. I think her lying down works a bit better, as you'll have less movement in there since she's on the ground. :)  (Make him adapt his gallery instead of your pics dammit! xD)

However, regarding the expression on that one, be careful for it has the "dull surprise" open mouth that Pat Lee often had going. Something he was highly critted for, may I add. It makes a character look a bit dimwitted. ;)  Nobody is free of crits anyway. *cough*certainlynotPatLee*cough* That particular mouth shape is something that can be used of course, but if you do, the eyes become far more important since the mouth is standard (could be a "yawn", an "oh", a "huh?", etc), the shape, position and angle of the eyes would then define the expression. Could be something to just practice. I've found myself that playing with the corners of the mouth and exagerating those a bit more improves the 'articulation' of the expression somewhat. :) 

Btw, Blitz and I are by no means perfect and I'm sure you'll be able to do similar stuff as we do if you just practice. I often screw up poses myself for example. I at least know I need way more practice and we both make mistakes all the time. Thankfully we're able and willing to crit eachother when we do. Every crit you get is something to learn from and as such, I'm more than happy to give others crits when I can (hopefully others will crit me in return). So no need to thank, go crit me when you see something that could improve till I'm so sick of it I'll fix/prevent it every next time! xD

Btw, taking 'Design Drawing' classes this year at university. Helps a lot with improving due to being forced to draw by the construction rules, while I'm used to intuitive drawing. :) 

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice work. And see, it's really impressive how framing/crop can change the meaning of a picture. It works on the 2nd pic (B&W).

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I like the stern face, it gives her attitude.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Quint has provided a great example of constructive criticism for Radicons. I also see that specifically his comments are spot on as well. I'd like to add that the head and neck are the source of the staticness of this piece. Personally, I actually dislike facial expressions on TFs (they're robots, not humans with armor) unless it's done in a technical, mechanical way. That doesn't mean that a robot can't be expressive, though! The pose, while it is an attempt to be dynamic, is also a bit cramped. Perhaps another pose would work better, or redoing this pose to make it a lot more dynamic is in order.

Aside from that, there are some really cool things going on in this piece. I really like the redesign of the head (I'd like to see just some illustrations of the head, myself :wink: ). The details are well-drawn and thought out. Also, this illustration is very clean and streamlined.

I really, really hope you continue to share your work here! You're doing a super job and I've really enjoyed interacting with this piece :thumb