2D Artwork: G1 Arcee Commission

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by gdpwatson, Apr 16, 2009.

1. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

So some time ago I chanced my arm and started to offer to do commissions. The first drawing asked of me was for a sexy G1 Arcee. This is what I came up with.

I mean I've never even entertained the notion of attempting to draw sexy before! Sure, down the line I had always intended to try and move toward the sexy female stuff - but that was always waaaaay down the line!

So you'll have to forgive me for my shortcomings in this particular piece as I've never attempted to do this type of drawing before. I have been limiting myself to your typical G1/IDW bots and to do something like this really was a challenge and took me way out of my comfort zone!

Overall, as a first attempt at this style of drawing I am quite happy with the result. Plenty of room for improvement I know!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

You did a great job man, while I don't go in for tf-sexay this is well put together. :thumb 

3. gdpwatson

LOL! There is something inherently wrong sexay-formers! But it's all good!! :)  Thanks buddy.

4. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Great lines! Personally I would have put the back boosters closer to her back, but that's simply a personal design preference. It looks like a digital work and your lines are nice and crisp, but I have to say if I'm wrong and that's pen and paper I'm dead jealous.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the body is spot on awesome... but theirs 2 things that bug me about the head the first is the nose I don't think that tick on the left is needed it kinda makes it look fat and flat maybe also lower it a tad. The 2nd bit is that the whole face looks too small.

6. gdpwatson

Thanks man.

I have to admit that I did have a little think about where to place the booster things and initially they were going to be a little closer to her back. But then I noticed a that in the GI Joe/TF Crossover that they actually are attached to the back of her shoulders.

Doing the same in this picture kind of added a kind of angelic quality to the piece, almost like the boosters were wings. So I went with that.

And I have to say that you are wrong and that this was inked on paper using microns pens. Digital inking has its place but I prefer to have something tangible to keep when I do my drawings.

Thanks Blitz. I'm not going to argue with you an either point. Indeed the nose bugs me too, but nothing a quick edit in PS wouldn't fix.

The head thing is an interesting point. I notice that when drawing Transformers in general that it's ok to make the face smaller so long as the helmet area balances out the overall shape. This something that you yourself use in your work so I think you know what I mean there, otherwise I'm just confusing the issue.

I guess that with female TF characters that this same rule doesn't apply. Arcee's face is deliberately smaller so that her helmet can balance out the silhouette.

But this is all part of the learning experience and I'll keep that in mind for the next femmebot! lol!

Thanks Blitz.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to draw a normal head and then draw on the other stuff as bulk so the face looks right but and the other stuff looks like a Helmet and if it looks odd its nothing a bit of PS cant resize.

But as a rule I tend to make Fembots heads a tad bigger as it makes them look more femmi compared to male styled robots

oh an other tip I try to place the eyes in the center of the head and place other stuff relative to them I find this really helps.

8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    WOOW! :drool: 

9. gdpwatson

Thanks for the advice dude. Definitely in future I'll be drawing femmebot heads a touch bigger than I might have done.

There does seem to be an overall different approach as to how the ladies are drawn compared to the males.

I'm always glad to get advice like this. Otherwise how can I improve? Cheers again. :) 

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks very nice.

11. gdpwatson

Thanks! :D 

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    One thing I really enjoy is the softer line work this piece has. Overall I think you did a wonderful job! :thumb 

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hmmm anything else? Well the chest is a bit larger on the left side then the right. I find the best way to do chests and anything really that needs to be symmetrical is to draw a grid over the body and this gives you the coordinates I guess to place other details

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sexxxay.

15. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

At the risk of being a little vulgar...

How do you say, "I'd hit that." in Cybertronian? :ev: 

16. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great job man! Per usual!!!

17. gdpwatson

Thanks mate. One thing that gives me great satisfaction is the actual inking of a piece. Sometimes I feel I go a little over the top, but overall the feedback I get in relation to that is usually quite good.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the tip Blitz. I'll keep that in mind. I am about to embark upon a serious amount of anatomy drawing which will hopefully allow me to address both the head issue and the loop-sided booby thing. It's time I started to branch out with my artwork.

As always I appreciate the feedback and tips.

LOL! Thanks! That's what I was going for! :drool: 

At the risk of sounding too enthusiastic thanks very, very much for the compliment... oh wait, you meant the drawing!! Ha ha!

Thanks Drew, long time no hear buddy. I hope that you're keeping well.