G1 Alts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, May 10, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Transformers is a series about Alein Robots that come from a planet called Cybertron, that turn into Cars, Trucks, Jets, Tapedecks, Guns, and Tanks.

Right?

Well, personally... Asides from Laserbeak from armada, the 07 Realgear stuff, as well as Movie Frenzy... There really hasn't been any "main cannon" alternate modes that have been something that is notoriously goofy.

Like, I would love there to be a Transformer, that turns into like... A Billboard, or something stupid like that. Personally, I think that is the charm and appeal G1 had, is that it really did "Dare to be stupid", in its own right, in which it could totally get away with things like Megatron, and Soundwave. Because, from the get go it had a very "Why the hell not?" attitude towards transformations.

That saying though, as the shows progress I feel like there is less and less love given to the alternate modes themselves. Because, ontop of it supposedly being made to appeal for kids, and teens. It really bugs me that every tranformer and their mother has to be a sportscar, Firetruck, Hummer, Tank, Helicoptor, jet, and Construction vehicle.

Why the hell can we not have a transformer like Brains? (Also, I derped on the whole main cannon and recently thing but... POINT STILL STANDS!) Who, just tranforms into whatever the hell is laying about the room? It is really the one thing that dissapointed me about the Laserbeak toy, I would have much rathered him turn into some sort of LCD screen, that comes with a box unit, that also transforms.

Or better yet. Nix the "Cybertronian" alt modes. Those things are always ass, always. And just have something derpy... like a printer... Shockwave? Printer? Why the hell not? It's Transformers.

It is something that just makes me wish they would do a new Beastwars show, because they would be forced to use their iiiiiiiiimaaaaaaaaagiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaatiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooonnnn, as well as nix bumblebee (Unless they made him a bumblebee, in which I possibly would proceed to furiously headdesk)

However, honestly I feel like the love of Transfomers has been sucked out in replace of the merchandising aspect. Regardless if Transformers has usually been about merchandising, it still usually had some sort of soul to it. Now? Please, Prime is generic as it gets. The only thing it seems to have innovated, is switching factions on Tracks, and proving that Animated was a far better show, even if it did last too long.

So, what would you want for a G1 Inspired Alt?

2. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

autobots and decpticons got cyberion vech modes

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I.....like cybertronian alt-modes

4. TheDemonDzko

=P I really don't, asides for the 07 Protoforms... I kinda like them in their own way, because they remind me of Majora's Mask... for some reason, plus they make me think of Steampunk as well... But, Prime Megatron, and DOTM Shockwave, both have horrid altmodes, same going for 07 Megs, ROTF Fallen, Cybertron Metrosex, And honestly, Animated Shockwave.

There are good Cybertronian molds though... Like, Cybertron Starscream, and Generations Darkmount, Thunderwing, and Blurr (Who is a stretch...)

It's just I find it hard to really like these alternate modes, as a human being I find it hard to related to Robots with theyese alternate modes, unless they resemle something human. IE: Armada/Energon Starscream.

Though, not going to lie, I have a weird bias for A/E/C. Despite there being some really bad stinkers in all three... There are also some gems. Beutiful Gems.... that probably outrank any G1, Beastwars (Kills me saying), Classics, and movie toys.

Because lets face it... Nothing gets better than Cybertron Prime... Nothing. Nothing.

5. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    What about Signal Lancer? :<

6. TheDemonDzko

Did... we ever get an official one?

7. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    Well, he was in the show, that's about it lol.

8. TheDemonDzko

-table flip- THEN WE DO NOT SPEAK OF HIS ONE EPISODE!

In which he singlehandledly was the best transformer ever next to his pal Erector... together they would be unstopable... Together...For--

Anyways... Yeah, he doesn't count... he is in like... one episode right? Or something...

9. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    He was in several eps, but he only transformed in the last ep (which was when you learned his name too). Ah well, he was the first thing to pop into my head when I first saw you post lol

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Wasn't the G1 show pretty much merchindise drivend to begin with? I mean from what I've heard it's done a pretty poor job at acutally doing characters and storys be well written despite being fun.

If that's how you like your idea of TFs to be that's fine but it's not really fair to fault the later TF shows like Prime to be souless and generic when the G1 show was just as generic and merchindise driven if not even more so.

And why do you have a problem with Cybertronian alt modes? If they aren't designed well that's understandable but there are some that are done very well and the point of the Cybertronian alt modes is to show what they orginally wore on Cybertron. If you have them looking exactly like Earth modes on Cybertron then it loses the point of the whole disguse thing.

As much as I like to see if they can take the disguse thing like radios and such often I still think there should be a limit to how far you go with the sillyness. It's pretty silly enough that there's alien robots that can transform into anything to disguse themselves.

Now if we're talking about doing a TF show that's truely outragoues and fun for the sake of being rediculos fun then that's a perfectly fun idea and a great way to show some sillyness to the franchise, but not if you're expecting people to seriously believe that Alien robots can litlerally turn into anything that they really can't do in real life like bill boards in a serious way.

11. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

The point of the alt mode is not just to Disguise. In the main sense it might be, but it 's also to get around better or to help in the fight. So ask yourself this. Would you rather have the cool alt mode that is an awesome tank that can kick ass on the battlefield, or the one bot that transforms into a.... Copier/Fax Machine...

Yeah...

I get what you are saying. It works in some context. Like spying around, being sneaky etc. Blending in with the environment and surroundings. And again this has it's place and points, but at the same time in the battle it's not really going to help much becoming a LCD Screen...

Also for that matter the whole "To Sell Toys" aspect of it.. again.. you are going to sell a Robot toy that changes into a Kick Ass Jet Fighter or Attack Helicopter, or a Robot that changes into a... pair of Binoculars... Yeah... you tell me which one will most likely always sell more.

(This brings up a interesting question. Anyone know if the original Preceptor toy sold well? I bet compared to the rest it was nowhere near as much. But I could be wrong.)

12. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Me too.

Attached Files:

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Most of the time, I do too.

What about a Toaster? We got a Toaster.

14. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

G1 cartoon