G1 Alt modes superior to Classics, Classics Bot mode superior to G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have been completing the Season 1 TFers. The one thing that really stands out to me about them is how much better the alt modes on G1 figures are then on Classics figures. Even when it comes to the Dinobots, the G1 Grimlock looks much better then the classics Grimlock.

Obviously the Classics Bot mode is better.

Having said all that, it would be nice if there was a way to have G1 alt modes with classics bot modes. Obviously a mix of plastic and Diecast also would be nice.

I am guessing this is what Binaltech attempted to do, so sad that line failed. Did it really sell that bad? Wasn't that line released before the movies? I think it is time for a rehash of the line.

2. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well the G1 alt modes were licensed replicas of real cars. Classics alt modes are made up designs that are trying to emulate real cars without being close enough to have to pay licensing fees.

The robots are obviously better due to modern engineering.

Classics Grimlock is shit because it's an homage to a shit pretender Grimlock instead of the real deal.

Alternity is the return of Alternators/Binalteck done he way Takara wanted to do it in the first place.

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I agree with both points, I also personally fee Classics may have benefited from using even simpler designs than they did. They look great, but my G1 lens doesn't allow me to stop thinking about how cool they would have looked had they been almost brickformers with great articulation points...

4. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

This is the way for other modern figures not just classics. Think G1 springer versus defender. Or G1 mixmaster versus Madblender.

Surprisingly it's the movie figures that have the more solid alt modes now.

5. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which goes back to my point of licensed vehicle alt modes compared to made up ones.

6. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 alt modes (particularly the cars) look like model replicas, classics alt modes look like children's toys.

no, this is not a "OMG KIDDY TOYS WTF HASBLOW?!?!?!" post.

but since I almost always display in bot mode, classics is my main focus.
    Have been getting some bin/alt lately though, wonderful vehicles :D 

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    All a matter of perspective. G1 alt modes are all outdated and old cars, which while isn't a bad thing(Some of my favorite cars are from the 60s and 70s), but I also LIKE modern cars. Like RTS Jazz for instance...I find the hybrid mix of Porsche and Pontiac Solstice a GREAT look, even if it's a totally fantasy car. I like the shape and the curves of it better than the old Porsche that G1 Jazz is. For me it's really going to have to depend on a case to case basis. Given the choice between G1 Jazz and RtS Jazz? RTS no question. I don't think you could pay me anything to take G1 Jazz off your hands because I know I'd have an inferior looking Jazz in every way.

G1 Wheeljack though is my favorite alt mode. The Lancia Stratos was such a godly rally car and the Classicsverse Wheeljack, though awesome, just can't match up to the Stratos at all.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw this too. All I can think is the paint apps were better and the metal was a bonus with that season 1 with making them look like toy replicas.

Classics and movie lines look more like kiddy fodder because of the matte on the plastic and the unrealistic color paint apps.

I think Binaltech and alternators look better because of metal use in Binal , a less matte and more realistic color job on both.

I say mainly the surface of the plastic and paint because I've seen some custom work turn some turds into realistic looking diecast quality cars.

9. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Were they licensed? I don't see any car company copyright and tm marks on the packaging and I was under the impression that car companies didn't realize this was something they could do at the time? Anyway a link to some info , for my personal mental database, would help me out. Thanks!

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Die cast metal is out of the question, and so is Alternators. Die cast parts don't hold paint well over long peiods of time if played with roughly, and the LAST time Hasbro tried die-cast metal; the Titanium figures, it was more miss than hit because they were just shoving metal into the simplified designs in the wrong places.

America didn't get Binaltech. We got Alternators, which does not have die-cast metal, but on the upside didn't have nearly as much issues with paint scratching on the die-cast (part of the reason why it's not used anymore) and could actually stand up under their own weight (Binaltechs are notorious for falling over due to weight issues I hear). Part of the problem with Alternators was being a collector's line being aimed more at adults than kids, since adults only form a small part of overal TF sales, but another problem was the fact it's easily the most imbalanced TF line of all time that included Decepticons. With the exception of Frenzy and cat-form Jaguar Ravage, ALL the molds for the line were first made as Autobots, then a few got repainted/retooled as Decepticons (Swindle, Battle Ravage, Decepticharge, Dead End, and Nemesis Prime), and then some of those retools got repainted and released as Autobots again. And then the line was also horribly mishandled, since it had like, 4X Smokescreens in the first wave that shelfwarmed HARD until the very end. The closest thing to Alternators you're going to find these days is the HA line, since all the big bots have licenced alt. modes, but they're not going to fit in with the old Alts. since they're movie line.

Well, Prime Wheeljack's toy looks like it's got something pretty dang close to the Stratos, so if the size is right you could just keep that figure in alt. mode and use the real Classics Wheeljack for robot mode only.

11. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No they wern't licensed, but back in th 1980s it didn't matter as much. Now they enforce such things. If Hasbro or Takara made a TF that was an exact match to a car or plane some overzealous lawyer from a car or airplane company might be on the phone to Hasbro's lawyer asking for money, or at least Hasbro's lawyers worry that could happen.

12. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I had thought. I think it was actually that game Gran Turismo that brought that out more as car companies realized they didn't want their cars shown with damage. I Could be wrong but that was the first instance I remember with a car company and toy company making sure things were on the up and up.

13. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    I never really cared that much for alt-modes when I was a kid back in the 80's, I grew up watching other anime robots, so the robot mode was always my main interest.
    So even though TFs back in the day were more like vehicles/objects with a robot mode gimmick, for me it was always the other way around, they all were robots with a transforming gimmick.

Alternity to me seems to be like very good match of G1 attention to detail to the alt-modes and modern engineering applied to the transformations and articulation.

Then we also have the HA line with very convincing alt modes with little robot kibble.

Alternators/Binaltech seem good on paper, but have all the issues Autobot Burnout mentioned on his post.

RID toys also have very detailed and nicely painted alt modes for the most part.

14. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Really? I never knew that. Learn something every day, I suppose.

15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't recall Transformers having officially licensed modes until Robots in Disguise with Side Burn.

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, and I don't think Alternity are selling all that well.

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Unfortunately for Alternity, it's Masterpiece engineering with nigh on Masterpiece prices. Alternity Megatron is probably the greatest Transformer I've ever handled.

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Totally agree with you. This is why I LOVE Alternity figures.

19. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just looked on the bay...less then 50 pounds for megs with shipping compared to well over 100 for the mp.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

seems pretty cheap in comparison to me.

20. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I can be pedantic, too. My MP Megatron cost me £45. My Alternity Megatron cost me £50.