g1 afa 85 cliffjumper factory defect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juggalowelder, Jun 16, 2006.

1. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

I purchased this toy from someone on ebay. I never noticed in the pic that the toy had not been fully transformed before the bubble being sealed over top of it. The head was never pulled out of the back of cliffjumper to show the head and now I have a headless cliffjumper. It is physically impossible for the head to have fallen down there overtime because the bubble is formed around the toy and there is not enough room on the bubble for the head to fall down or come back up. My question is, factory defect? Would this be worth more or less? This is more than likely 1 of a kind.

here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    i dont know if it would up the value in general, but a hardcore might pay extra for it, its kinda cool though :lol 

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Agree. Don't think the value will go up at all for that, well maybe a little. But there are collectors out there who love to collect those messed up packagings and will pay big for it.

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I donno it kinda looks like a knockoff to me.

Anyway I dont think that would increase the value in any way.

Welcome aboard BTW :thumb 

5. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

It's definitely not a knockoff. It's been graded by afa so I know it's legit. Atleast I hope so. They're pretty good over there. I got it for cheap anyway, so I know I'll make money on it when I sell it. I paid $300 for it. Whether anyone here thinks thats cheap or not I don't know, but this item usually goes for around $400 or more on ebay. Thanks for the input everyone, and if anyone hears anything about something like this feel free to let me know. I'm going to wait until I know more about it before putting it up on ebay.

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    AFA grading means two things Jack and Shit, oh and one more thing inflated prices. AFA has Graded KO's in the past and are not infallible.

7. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Along with the KO Cyclonus and others that escape me at the moment...

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ... I cant believe you paid 300 dollars for a cliffjumper.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The AFA is worthless, and they DO grade knockoffs just like the others have said.

Whether or not your is a knockoff is hard to say...got more pics?

11. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

ok, if its a knock off or a reissue of any kind it says it on the afa label. if you look at that frenzy laserbeak that 1987olds442 posted, at the bottom of the label, even tho its fuzzy, it says CHINESE REISSUE RED TAPE. They do grade knock offs and reissues yes. But they state that in the grading. For example, they also reissued many many g1 ironhides in the early 1990's in china, and every one I have seen graded it states that on the afa label. Also if your looking on ebay, ironhide is a main one, but cyclonus is another, on the top right of the flap, even tho it is a g1 u.s. box, it will have a small chinese label on it. I guess meaning reissue or something....This toy is not a knock off of any sort. And everyone has opinions, like I said, even tho I spent $300 for it, I needed it for my collection and I know I can sell it if I had to for more money than I paid for it. I'll post more pics in a few minutes.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

That's actually not true. They got in a shit ton of trouble last year because they graded a cassette knockoff as an original. It was pretty big news a while back, lots of discussion going on about it.

Not saying yours is a knockoff, there's no reason to believe it is. Factory defects happen all the time.

13. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Gen-1-Irionhide-AFA-85-MISB-MOSC-MIB_W0QQitemZ6065680215QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

theres a chinese "reissue from the 1990's" ironhide. of course the person won't zoom in on the actual label. obviously trying to hose someone. look at the top right of the flap. see the chinese logo? and look at the grading label, it says at the bottom w/rubsign/china

here is a ebay regular g1 cyclonus

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Generation-1-Jet-Cyclonus-MISB-SEALED-C8-5_W0QQitemZ6064826752QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a ebay chinese ko or reissue cyclonus

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclonus-1986-Transformers-G1-MISB-Original-US-Factory_W0QQitemZ6062348914QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

here are more pics of the cliffjumper if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I were in the market for that figure MOSC (which I'm not) I would ask to pay less with the head like that.

16. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Agreed. :) 

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Pretty positive that Cliffjumper's the real thing.

300 bucks though....

18. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Oh I have no doubt that it's legit, I was just pointing out the faults of the AFA, grading Fakes and stupidly artifical Higher Prices, like the fact that that Cliffjumper was $300. There is a comic shop locally that had a Minty MOSC Cliffjumper and it sold for $80, I got a MOSC Beachcomber locally for $35 then I OPENED HIM!!!!

19. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    AFA doesn't mean anything, it's just another stupid way to up the prices on otherwise cheap plastic toys. I wouldn't buy anything AFA graded if I were givin money to do so. $300 for a mosc YELLOW MISTRANSFORMED Cliffjumper? That's insane. Hell I'm not even paying more than €15,- for a loose red Cliffjumper (I don't collect MISB, I don't see the point).

Oh and one last thing, IF you see these toys as an investment.... don't. You want to invest your money, do so in real estate, art (not just any art) or for all I care in stock.

iDD

20. juggalowelder

juggalowelder Member

sealed toys are my thing. just something I like. And with them being afa graded, helps preserve the condition of the package. I have 2 kids and it also helps them from destroying them. I do buy loose stuff also and let my kids play with them. I'm very meticulous for some reason when it comes to these things. for instance, if it was a boxed figure that was sealed, I won't buy it if it has a flap crease. don't know why, just the way I am. I'm not necessarily using tf's as an investment, but I have noticed over the years, you will make some money on them.

Now that I have everyone thinking that I'm completely insane for spending $300 on a cliffjumper, how about $600 on a boxed, beautiful fort max that's 100% complete? I know its not sealed, which is what I prefer, but my wife would divorce me if I spent that kinda money on a tf. cuz a sealed for max is probably worth about $2500 or so.

heres a few pics of my fort max I got recently...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

complete with all parts, great box, foam tray, and foam inserts..