G.i joe

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Is G.I Joe as popular an famous as Transformers is? Or Transformers just dominated them in that. What do you guys think?

2. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GI Joe is flat lining right now

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Joe has continued through the years but not on the level that TFs have. TFs have always had new cartoons and comics, not to mention the movies. Joes have had some reincarnations of toys, a few comic series, and one movie.

I can't speak for other areas of the country but Joe toys seem to be peg warmers when I see them. TFs, while having their share of peg warmers, still seem to be selling well.

I can see Joes picking up again with the new cartoon and a second movie. They never faded fully out of existence but I think they were just ignored, for the most part, over the years.

Now if we interjected Star Wars into the arguement then it would be a debate.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There was a point where GI Joe was more popular than Transformers, and the popularity of GI Joe is what made Transformers possible in the first place, as Transformers basically followed the exact same marketing premise.

However, the appeal of GI Joe was more limited, I think. Though there was GI Joe in Canada and Action Force in the UK, I don't think GI Joe ever had the global appeal and success that Transformers did. Also, the brand has been simply unable to sustain the popularity it once had, even with numerous re-launches. As it stands now GI Joe is a distant second place to Transformers in terms of Hasbro's "boy brands"

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the 80s, I think they were equally as popular, at least in the neighborhood I lived in. However, Transformers has become the bigger brand in the last 10 years. As stated in the last post, Gi Joe has limited popularity outside the US.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The consistent lack of a regular cartoon or any real marketing push has always led me to the conclusion that in modern times kids don't really care about G.I. Joe, and that, like Star Wars, it's a property with a large enough adult collector fanbase that it can survive off of that. I mean, when they reinvented Transformers for the anime era (you know, like the first half of the past decade, when EVERY cartoon was either anime or Asian-influenced) as Armada and it took off like hot cakes, they did the same thing with G.I. Joe as Sigma Six, and it flopped so hard that they didn't even finish airing the cartoon in the US, and the next line was a collector-targeted return to 3.75 inchers. G.I. Joe couldn't make an anime succeed at the absolute height of the anime boom.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    In the Joes' defense, it has been around a lot longer than our Robots in Disguise. But as Chris McFeely stated, a lot of that's due to ongoing support from older fans. It'll be interesting to see how things fare in the next five years.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^I somewhat agree. GI Joe is becoming like a lesser-Star WArs brand for Hasbro, where the older collectors are beign targeted. Which is actually fine. In the past, they used to insist on marketing certain lines to kids even though there wasn't a lot of interest. Even the new cartoon seems a little more mature-geared with people dying and some of the violence (not that I'm complaining, I like "Renegades", but that's for another discussion)

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I love G.I Joe and still have their toys some comics and movies both live and animated.

YO JOE!

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

We have only ever known GI Joe as 'Action Force' here in the UK which had some cool vehicles, but they didn't transform into giant robots, so that was that for my interest in them.

Plus (and not trying to get political here) if you don't live in the US, the GI Joe themes relating to 'America is going to save the world YEAH!!!' can often leave a bad taste in the mouth for some. It's never really bothered me as I've just more or less ignored the franchise as a whole, but it is very American.

Also, the live action GI Joe movie was hysterically bad.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

GI Joe has always been a boom or bust brand since the very first 12" figures started it all off. Some times it seems like every boy out there has GI Joe and other times GI Joe has to take a break from the retail market as they figure out how to make GI Joe appeal to the next generation of kids.

Unlike Star Wars, Transformers, and Marvel GI Joe sometimes gets labeled as a "war toy" even though I've never seen a snake themed terrorist group on the news shooting lasers at the troops in Afghanistan.

So right now Transformers is a bigger brand because they have had more success at rebranding and being a brand large enough to appeal to different groups that don't have to buy everything for the brand to be successful. In the future who knows we might get another golden age of GI Joe because toy soldiers have been around as long as we've had toys and soldiers.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think Gi Joe was best in the 80's when America was the super kick ass country it was.

Now people hate America for thinking their super kick ass.

The sad thing is Gi Joe Renegdaes is awesome just as awesome as the original series.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^That's actually the best I've heard it put. Sad but true (on both points)

14. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I think G.I Joe Renegades is doing pretty good and it's picking up where it left off in its popularity.

15. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I preferred the original Action Force toy and comic from the UK in the 80's, before Duke and the rest of them. I felt it was a bit more brutal and the writing was better.

I remember getting the Black Major and The head bad guy, he was cool. I liked the 4 different Forces, SAS, Z Force, Space Force & Q Force (please correct me if I'm wrong.

Still liked Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes storyline as well as the odd story but the cartoon was appalling with the terrible YO JOE tag line