Non-TF: G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Zarana

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Nightwind, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I've seen a lot of versions of this character and was inspired to try my own!

Parts:
    ROC Helix-Head, legs
    25th Lady Jaye-Upper torso, lower torso, arms

I used Testor's Model Master Acrylic and Folk Art paints I sealed the figure with Future Finish floor wax for her shirt and lower legs and Model Master Satin clear acrylic for her jeans.

I'm not entirely happy with the results here, honestly, but she does fit in well with the rest of my collection!

As always, comments and critique are appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice job man, I've seen a few that are straight up Helix repaints, I have one myself to do a Zarana custom as well.

Nice to see one done a little differently! :thumbs2: 

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Nice job!

4. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like how the repaint of Zarana's hair makes her look like she's wearing a wig or just had a trashy dye job - which seems to be something expected of her character :) 

5. Nightwind

Helix's head works really well for the character, I think but I didn't think the "bondage" gear did. I had seen several versions of Zarana using Lady Jaye's torso, so I thought the combination of the two figures would work out pretty well! Thanks for the comment and good luck on yours! I can't wait to see it!

Thanks!

:lol  I just don't see that many women walking around with all of their hair dyed pink anymore. But, thanks to the Hot Topic I think, I do see a lot with darker hair and different colored highlights so that's what I went for! Thanks for the comment! :D 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think everything works really well! Could you elaborate on everything you feel that works/doesn't work? I think this would be a healthy exercise for ya. :) 

7. Nightwind

You know, I think not being happy with the results was the wrong thing to say. It's more like I was not happy with the process itself.

It was a pain to find a pink that I thought was useable, for one. I tried mixing my own first, but it looked a lot like Pepto. I picked up a nice Model Masters acrylic, but the color was so uneven that I just got disgusted and had to put the figure away for a week before I even wanted to attempt working on it again. By the time I tried the Folk Art paint, it was more an issue of just wanting to get the project over with and not being terribly excited about it anymore.

I also accidentally cut a chunk out of the spare Lady Jaye torso when I was trying to clean up some of the flash that had been left on the figure from the factory which resulted in having to use my display figure for the project instead.

I'll say this, though, the figure has grown on me quite a bit in the last few weeks and I really like it now. I think that using a flat clear coat for her jeans and a shiny one for her boots and shirt lends a unique feel to the figure that I haven't seen on others like this, so it really does feel like more of a "one of a kind" that I like to go for with my customs. I bought her a chopper from my local Dollar Tree and she's displaying really well with that extra accessory! :) 

Thanks again everyone for your comments and SQ7 for your support! :thumb 

8. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    hmmm as obsessed as I am with Zarana and Helix this looks okay but it still looks way too much like helix's head.

IMO you should have used a different head, zarana looks best in her punked out short hair. and if your not seeing any girls/women dying their hair in the bright neon vibrant colors it's only because your not in the right states or rural urban areas. ;) 

The retro punk/new wave style is still going strong in California(San Francisco/San Jose, Berkly and a few other ares) and in some parts here in AZ(Mill Avenue comes to mind) I also know a few friends in NY and Chicago that have that style :)  I'm a punk and a bit of goth as well(Emo isn't Punk or goth but sort of a mixture of Glam/punk/goth/doll :) 

But I love what you did with the rest of her body, it looks spot on like Zarana.

IMO Lady Jaye's head would make an excellent Zarana head, she's got the perfect heaircut, just add some trashy punk style paint apps to her eyes and she'd be perfect. :thumb 

9. Nightwind

Well, I live in Southwest Virginia so most of the dyed hair around here comes from a peroxide bottle! :lol 

I really appreciate your feedback on this! I'm going to take the spare Lady Jaye head and see what I can do! I'll post pics once she's done! :thumb