G-2 toys while they may have been awesome then,do you still like e'm today?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

G-2 toys while they may have been awesome then,do you still like e'm today?

way back then in 1992/1993 When G-2 toys first came out. I was beyond over joyed to be getting all those diaclone molds in G-2. Because I got into G-1 toys around 1998 & missed all the 1984 thru 1987 TF toys.

However when takara & hasbro started releasing those re-issues. the G-2 diaclone molds couldn't compare to the exact colors,stickers & boxes of the reissues.

therefore I sold off all my G-2 diaclone molds to make room for the takara/hasbro reissues.

many of the new mold G-2 toys were brick-formers,so those got sold quickly.

I kept the super poseable G-2 toys for a while. but eventually sold them off as my G-2 collection was incomplete & most of those toys were almost basic sized.

about the only G-2 toys that impressed me & I kept are the 2 hero's deluxe/mega sized optimus prime,megatron & laser rod optimus prime. I kept the 2 sets of the G-2 constructicons misb,one set in yellow other set in orange. I kept some G-2 1995 gobots.

I kinda felt that many newer TF toy lines did better jobs of doing better deluxes,basics sized TF toys.

technically I got rid of G-2 laser prime & got the Rid scourge toy instead. but I still consider it a g-2 toy mold. heck I even managed to put the light up headlights & fist features from laser rod prime & transfer them over to rid scouge. so my rid scourge has working light up head lights & working light up fist for the sword.

Technically I also got rid of G-2 heroes mega sized optimus prime because those colors were ugly. I got the kaybee exclusive heroes rid scourge. I still consider it a g-2 toy mold.

I got rid of G-2 superion & G-2 Bruticus./ because I viewed the energon 5-in-1 combiners as the superior molds.

2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G2 had horrible color schemes slapped on outdated toy designs (with a few exceptions, e.g. Laser Prime, Cyberjets).

3. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    G2 was all sorts of awesome. The colors may have been overly flamboyant and the molds outdated, but that's what made it work imo.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah G2 stuff was so bad it was good and then their were toys like the cyberjets that IMO still are some of the best designs out their

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Early G2 toys were hurried.

It's like they didn't have time to invest in new molds. So they added lurid colors, which were to be found on a bunch of toy lines at the time, in an attempt to make them more contemporary looking.

Later G2 toys laid the foundations for BW, RID etc, and some of them have aged pretty well. The Laser Rod are still great toys, as is Dreadwing/Smokescreen.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

G2 spawned molds that have become eternal - Laser Optimus Prime, Laser Rods (sans Electro due to GPS), CyberJets, Dreadwing and Smokescreen,,,

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

g2 had some of the greatest molds ever, even til this date, but with some of the WORST paint jobs imaginable, and or, in transformers history.

it is amazing on how a little bit of paint, can go along ways... for better or for worse.

8. Sammael

News Credits:
    It made it work so well that the Transformers franchise almost collapsed...

9. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Collapsed? Was that the case? :sly2: 

Then someone tell me WHY we ain't seeing G2 Pyro, Clench or Thunderclash on the cheap?... :confused2 

10. Sammael

News Credits:
    Prior to BW (i.e. during the days of G2), TF was doing so badly in the US that Hasbro was considering pulling the plug on the line. No, I cannot provide a quote (maybe someone else can), this is info that was floating around back in the 90s (from one of the early BotCons, IIRC - maybe the '96 one).

11. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G2 Dreadwing/smokescreen is one of the greatest molds of all time and stacks up very well to the modern toys. Heck, I like that mold (molds?) better than the Mindwipe/Skystalker molds which were repainted to homage them years later.

Laser Rod Prime? Timeless

Cyberjets were great too.

12. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    If we're talking about that period of time, then even Beast Wars outshone G2. :lol 

But a couple of years down the road (especially nowadays) you're likely to find MORE people embracing G2s as dear as their first borns.

With Botcon paying special tribute to G2s this year, that forgotten passion just got revived in most of us.

Yeah, count me in with the rest of the boys that say: "G2 Heroes Prime & Megatron rocks!" :rock 

13. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I got rid of most of my G2s but some are still great. Laser Prime, Cyberjets, Dreadwing in particular.

14. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I was never a fan of the dreadwing+smokejumper toy mold. because smokejumper was basic sized. while dreadwing looked ugly/horrible in all 3 transformation modes.

IMHO,The similar styled energon starscream toy mold is bigger & a bit better sculpted than the smokescreen basic sized toy mold.

IMO,the ROTF MINDWIPE mold is the superior similar styled stealth jet mold. it replaced the need for the G-2 Dreadwing mold.

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

The thing about those G-2 new molds,there mostly all basic sized or under 4.7 inches tall.
    I prefer bigger TF toys over tiny TF toys. I don't mind the occassional deluxe as long as it's around 5 & 3/4 inches tall.

Out of all the new molds G-2 created only 3 were deluxe size while only one was voyager sized. the 3 deluxes are heroes prime,heroes Megatron & Dreadwing that all are under 5 & 1/2 inches tall. the voyager sized toy is laser rod optimus prime,which stands under 6.4 inches tall in robot mode. since the trailer doesn't combine with the figure,it's a acccessory thing.

16. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even some of the non-revolutionary designs are still fun. I love Terradive, for instance. I think it's his transformation, color scheme, and A-7 alt mode that do it for me. Rapido is fun too, despite not being that different from you average G2 minibot.

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

G2 gave us Red Snarl, Green Slag, and Blue Grimlock, as well as Easter Superion and Rave Bruticus. How could you not love that? And of course the Cyberjets stand as some of the best designed TFs of all time.

18. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cyberjets rule they stack up even to todays figures the colour schemes are definateley an aqquired taste but if you happen to like that kind of thing (like me) then g2 is amazing stuff tbf the us missed out on some of the cool bricks like thunderclash etc that are also really good figures. You cant compare Most of g2 to modern stuff however thats just silly its like comparing g1 to modern stuff in comparison most g1 stuff has next to no poseability but it isnt about that its about the characters and the nostalgia people relate to it.

19. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I love G2...Especially Space Case...

20. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    In regards to Transformers nearly collapsing, then of course we're talking about that period of time. G2 having poor sales certainly isn't going to make Hasbro pull the plug on Transformer 15 years later.

Why are there not cheap Spark/Pyro/Thunderclashes around? #1) Because G2 was doing so bad they didn't have such huge production runs #2) Those were all European exclusives(maybe Canada too?) So they weren't even produced and sold in Hasbro's largest market. There are pretty cheap Gobots & Cyberjets around though.

As said, G2 did produce some outstanding molds(Laser prime/Cycles, Cyber jets/Dreadwing/Smokescreen, Heroes) that have pretty much stood the test of time and were the engineering foundation for the future.

There were some gaudy color schemes, but not everything, and personally, the gaudy or unconventional color schemes give some flavor to the line. G2 Sideswipe has an awesome color scheme.

Another thing I miss about G2 is the less rigid pricepoint system. They didn't do scouts, deluxes, voyagers, ultras, etc. Well, not exactly anyway. It was more like G1, pricepoints were "gimmick subgroups". Nowadays retailers probably need/want the more structured system, but I liked the small groups all with something in common all available in one wave. Then the next big reset would have new pricepoints/gimmicks.

First 'wave' of G2: G1 repaints with Minibots, Constructicon, (large)Autobot cars, Dinobots, Decepticon planes, and Optimus Prime pricepoints. Then the next refresh had the "new"(to US) (small)Autobot Cars & Decepticon planes, Color change Cars, and Megatron. Megatron didn't have to be designed to be the same pricepoint as Optimus Prime and to fit in the same size box.