Heavy/Scratch: G-1 DEVASTATOR head re-sculpt W.I.P.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Budokhan, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Hey Gang!
    Sorry its been a bit since I posted, been having some PC problems lately but theyre sorted now! :D  If I remember correctly, I said I'd have some other goodies in store so here we go! Recently I found a cool rendering on the net (The last pic in the series, if anyone knows who did this drawing, please let me know?) & based off that got it into my noggin to do a "rebuild" of a G1 Devs & bring him forward to todays TF standards. I went looking online for the original constructicons but when I realized how much it would cost to get them in decent shape, I just couldnt bring myself to buy originals & butcher them! So I went out & found one of those KO sets from Big-lots that sell for $8 an started with the hackin'! As usual, I like to start off with the head as I feel the head will dictate the overall "feel" of the rest of the figure. The quality of the plastic wasnt too bad to my surprise so doing mods has been pretty easy.

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna keep the visor & just go with the eyes as-is or keep his "oakleys" intact. In the 2nd to last pic, the piece on the far right is a custom built, internal LED lite-pipe, which, if you look you can see his two little eye protruberances. Either way, the new head is, I think, still a vast improvement over his originally "merry" countenance!
    Lemme know what you all think?
    ~Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I say keep the visor.

3. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is simply amazing. If you ever wanted to cast the parts you would have a buyer in me!

4. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

WOW Budokhan, who needs a 3d printer when you can sculpt like that!

How do you sculpt such straight lines? That's pretty amazing man. Keep the visor BTW.

5. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    same here !!

man u r f^&*ing talented
    this looks awesome -love the small fangs in his mouth
    and the visor looks good as well

which putty is that ,cause the one i'm working with (tamiya ) is supper sticky and really doesnt shoe the details as good as yours ?
    will u share your secret?

6. bakublade

bakublade Well-Known Member

that is amazing

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Really slick looking, man.
    I say keep the visor !!!

8. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

This head is a fantastic work of art. I'm not sure it screams devastator so much as it screams predacon

9. Budokhan

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the good feedback on Devs everyone, Its really,really appreciated! Especially the advice on keeping the visor! You guys are right, I think he'd look kinda silly without it.

Its always a pleasure to share with my friends and fellow-hobbyists & Ive always been the kind to share little tips & tricks 'cause thats the only way we, as atists, can grow right? Right! So..on with the sharing!:D 

Yourreflection wrote:
    Well, one of the tools I use most heavily is a little home-made "chisel". Years ago, at one of the other model shops I worked at, I was able to grind out this little gem using a Lathe & a bench-top grinder. Its made from barstock steel & I re-sharpen the edge using 1200 sandpaper. In order to get straight scribe line details, you need to hold the "rake" or chisel edge at around a 20-30 degree angle to the surface of your material. Then, with just the slightest pressure, dig in to the material & gently move the side edge in a smooth, forward motion. Its best to only make a very shallow cut on the first pass & go a little deeper on subsequent passes. This will help to give you not only a straight line but, with practice, uniform depth as well! Just remember, try & keep the chisel edge as sharp as possible as often as you can, if it gets dull, it will lead to jagged & wavy scribes and may possibly "skip" off track.
    Other than that tho , I just use standard sculpting minarets , my optivisors, calipers & a boat-load of patience!:wink: 

Hope that helps a little bit!
    On a side note, your heads are really rockin' too my friend! :thumbs2:  Wish I had the level of inventory you have! Keep on rockin!

Attached Files:

10. Budokhan

Bellyboy wrote:

Absolutely my friend! The putty is called "Apoxie Sculpt" made by a company called Avesstudios. Here's a small list of its properties as quoted from their website:

I usually go with the Silver-gray "metal" myself mainly because the gray shows the detail better when working in such small scale but also because its impregnated with nearly microscopic bits of powdered aluminum that give it extra rigidty when it hardens. Another nice thing that you'll love... when you knead it with your fingers, its has virtually no "stickiness" to it! :rock . Also, it can be polished to a near mirror-finish when fully cured!
    Ive been using this stuff for years & highly reccommend it! Its not very cheap but neither is it real expensive but it is soooo worth the money!
    Lemme know if youre interested in it & I'll PM you the address!

~Cheers!
    -BK

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Very nice work! I Absolutely LOVE the detail. I definitely say WITH the visor, though I'm also thinking that particular visor is a tad too big? Just to me, it seems to over extend the sides of his face just the tiniest little bit. But he definitely looks better with the visor--it screams Devastator. :) 

I can't get over the face sculpt. That's some serious badass work. I've always been afraid of sculpting because I've never had good results with even "block" parts or filling in bits here and there. But this stuff sounds like something I'd have a better time working with. I'll have to check it out. :) 

12. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Dang that is amazing, and I love that visor too. It's way better than the head I came up with for my G1 Constructicon customs. I too used bootlegs. Most of the ones I've handled are pretty good.

13. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I beg to differ. In fact I think that Devs look absolutely horrifying without the visor, the stuff that gives you (me) nightmares. And I meant that in a good way :lol 

Great advice you have given, but I envy you. My hands are usually too klutzy for such delicate work. As you can guess, I'm lovin your Devastator..

Curious, what else are you planning to do to him?

14. Budokhan

Thanks a bunch! I was hoping to go for the " angry & scary as hell " look for Devs' head & I'm glad you got that!:thumbs2:  I may make adjustments to the area around the eyes so that the visor can be attached or removed without being permanently attached. As to the rest of this guy, well... I'm planning alot actually! I've gotten a lot of "real world" references of the construction vehicles that The original Constructicons were based off of so I'm gonna do my best to make them as accurate to those as I can. That includes all the neat little safety railings, Ladders, Company logos, Dirt, Scraped-off paint, hydraulics, engine vent covers, power lines & general wear& tear that you'd see on heavily used construction vehicles.

I've already got a fully articulated set of hands ( ahem.."donated" by a willing 1/60 perfect Grade SAZABI kit) that are perfect for Devs. The rest of him is gonna be just as articulated, if not more so than, the latest style of Classic/universe figures. I have an extra classics PROWL that got plundered for parts before so I'm gonna use his waist, thighs & knees for Devs' upper legs. Already constructed a BFG for him that utilizes rare-earth magnets in the Gun grip & also inside the hands ( otherwise its to heavy for him to hold & the gun falls out...doh! :eek: ) I'd also like to re-work his "shoulders" so that theyre ball-jointed & have a much better range of motion( I think thats gonna be a bugger tho...) As for overall design, Im gonna try to make him look as close to the last picture on page 1 of this thread as I can without giving myself a nervous breakdown in the process! :D :crazy: 
    thanks again for lovin his "horrifying" aspect!
    ~Cheers!
    -BK

15. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like how the nose is like 90% decepticon logo

16. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats f'n sweet!! love it !

17. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the funny part about devs is that everyone always remembers the visor but every episode where he appeared he always had the two eyes first then it turned into a visor later on.....but either way you cant go wrong. Awesome job!

18. GerardusMaximus

GerardusMaximus Deceptocreep

Same as them! KEEP THE VISOR! Awesome work!

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Is there any way to have your cake and eat it to? I mean, I love the visor, but those eyes look really cool too! I'd love to see the visor incorporated in such a way that you could have both, where the visor is removable.

The vampire teeth throw me off a bit. I react that way when TFs have teeth in general, but the fangs look a bit odd on Devs, imo.

As for your sculpting work, WOW. That's really nice! Also, thanks for the resources on sculpting you added :) 

Thanks for contributing so well :thumb 

20. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I agree with Superquad7.

Utilize both the eyes and the visor, 1 for cartoon accuracy and 1 for 86' movie accuracy.

I really love the Visor, but make it an add-on w/ a removable option the eyes look really nice.