FYI: Your PS3 plays Blu-Ray discs.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by e3nine, Nov 7, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Some of you may have participated in the Toshiba HD DVD player blowout last weekend. It looks like the HD camp moved 90,000 units in 3 days.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/07/90-000-hd-dvd-players-sold-in-one-weekend/

I then caught this bit ...

Linked within the above article was even more about the HD output.
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/09/many-xbox-360-ps3-owners-unaware-of-hd-abilities/

that's unreal to me.

If you buy a PS3, how the heck can you not know what you're purchasing?

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

A year ago, when I purchased my Xbox 360, I didn't know it supported 1080p...

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'm pretty sure it didn't a year ago. That was added in on one of the updates.

4. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

The update had already been made available. I really got reamed out on the Xbox message board...

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You didn't know it supported that resolution, but you knew it was doing HD output -that is not so bad.

I have never understood how people can not know the difference between SD and HD. The difference is as stark to me as a color program is to black and white.

My wife will continually turn on SD channels that have an analagous HD version. I'll switch to the HD channel and she will ask me what the difference is.

My father has two DLPs and one plasma TV. Direc TV hooked up one of the boxes with HDMI, one with coaxial, and one with RCA jacks. Obviously, he only got the HD signal from HDMI box. However, he saw no difference in the three televisions. He was bragging to me about how good they looked.
    I grabbed some component cables and changed one of his boxes.
    He was like "oh".

6. Scrappy

Scrappy smiling a blacktooth grin

PS3's "sales" constitute less than 10K units a week. Even with their "killer apps" like Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, and Warhawk.

Anyway I'm not surprised. Where I live, someone thought that a Disney movie was only on Blu-Ray because the commercial says "only on Disney HD Blu-Ray" or something like that. :rolleyes2 

I just wish this stupid format debate would end. Does the movie industry not realize how much money they're loosing with consumers?

Toshiba and Sony need to sit down, put aside the differences, and decided a unified format.

7. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Maybe because they just want to play games? I honestly don't know the difference between any of these formats, and I really don't give a shit. You ever look at the line-up of movies on BLU/HD?? They're all movies I wouldn't pay to see in BLACK AND WHITE.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If it's TRULY in HD then they can't fit an entire season onto one disc.
    It has a larger storage capacity but there is 10 times the data in an HD video as there is an SD video.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Dude, every movie from 2007 is on an HD format. (Transformers, Simpsons Movie, Super Bad, Chuck & Larry, Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, Fantastic 4, etc)

10. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

You just proved my point. Transformers is the only movie I would(and did) pay for.

11. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Shocking as it may be,some people only want to play games on their gaming system.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That's not really an answer. Even if you bought it just to play games, you would think people who buy a $500 machine would read the box it comes in and find out everything it can do.

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

QFT

14. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

You would think that but I've seen parents buy these things for their kids with no clue as to what games can be played on it.

Heck the other day at Wal-mart one guy was going to get a PSP game for use with a WII,I started telling him about the differences in the systems and games till he had a confused look on his face.

Not everyone keeps up with these things,nor do they research them before buying.

15. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Amen to that. I refuse to buy and HD or Blue Ray player no matter how cheap they are until one format becomes universal. I am not wasting money buying movies on a format that's going to be obsolete in a year or two. These assclowns need to figure something out because there are a hell of alot of people on the fence that would gladly come down if they'd just choose a format.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

most of the world isn't ready for hd yet. they don't know the difference between hd and a big screen tv. people only want hd if there is something to go along with it. here's an example: i work at a cable company. when we first got hd cable boxes in a couple years ago we only ever had a few customers get them. the hardcore video geeks who freak out if there's a single dead pixel on the screen. a few months later we got started offering a dvr with hd capability. people started getting those like crazy, but not because of the hd capability, because it's a dvr. it's the same thing with the ps3, xbox 360, blu ray, and hd dvd. the average person is still happy with dvd. they just want their games.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Honestly, I cant see the difference between a SD channel and a HD channel but when it comes to games on 1080i compared to 420p, then yes I definitely see a difference and when a friend of mine was playing Gears of War on an analog TV, I said no thank you when he asked if I wanted to play. It was gross. As for Blue Ray, a simple movie like Wild Hogs looks awesome on BR and 1080i.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    True that; I read up on my PS2 and Xbox when buying them and was ready to use them for movie watching and CD listening the first day of buying them. If people looking for HD movies really read up on 360 and PS3, they would know that when its all said and done, they both cost you the same in order to watch movies. Original releases: 360 + HD drive=600, PS3= 600. Sale price now: 360 + HD drive=500, PS3 80gb= 500.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

doesn the PS3 box have a big "BLU-RAY' logo on it.

20. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, but the games come on blu-ray media. Hell, most of the people who don't realize it plays blu-ray movies, probably saw the "blu"(if they even noticed it), and thought bluetooth(which it does have).

Even some of the folks who do understand tv resolutions, and know about blu-ray and hd still don't realize you need to be using an hdmi cable(which is it's own separate batch of idiotic bullshit)