future supremes...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Jul 4, 2006.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I bought Primus for 12.15 because Target was not aware of the demand for said figure. It is not my fault that the computers had not updated, nor is it my fault that managers where not informed about scanning inaccuracies from coorporate.

Anyway...I have read posts pertaing to the fact that supreme toys won't be made again because of this. Is there a demand for big bots in Japan? OF COURSE!

So what can U.S. consumers look forward to? Classics anyone? (I would love a supreme Metroplex!)..........Why else did Hasbro retain the name. Was this done to secure U.S. buyers into buying a big robot with very little resemblance to the toy we grew up with? (worked for me!)...or something else...?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've noticed that every supreme thus far has been an homage of one kind or another:

Unicron/Black Unicron
    Omega Supreme/Sentinel
    Starscream
    Primus

Primus is kinda debatable, as he's not really had a fully established robot mode 'look' before, but the character is still a big player in universes beyond the Cybertron series. We're kinda running low on really big characters to make into supremes. Possibilities include (but are not limited to):

. Fortress Maximus (still need a true "base" TF for small toys & minicons)
    . REALLY big Optimus and/or Megatron ??
    . I guess guys like Metroplex or Scorponok are fair game, if continuity gets rebooted again after A-E-C.
    Japanese things like Dark Nova??

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I bought my primus for $50 :(  But good I don't need another supreme ever Primus is sitting in on my floor with no where to fit anywhere.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Supremes are cool, however sell horrible. Most likely Primus will be the last, especially since he is barely larget then a leader class. He still rocks though, however SS was just a poor choice for supreme class off the bat.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hmm... I don't know how I feel about the Supreme size class right now. As I said in another thread, the only two that have been really cool are Unicron and Primus. And of course, they unfortunantly suffer from being heavily out of scale with the rest of the line, but are nicely in scale with each other. Of course, if you want to count the two BM Supremes (Cheetor & AA Primal) than Air Attack Optimus was pretty slick too. If you look at those three Supremes that I mentioned... those are the kinds of things that I like to see in my Supremes so that they seem to be worth the price point. Heavily articulated (including fingers for god sake), lots of flashy lights, weapon firing gimmicks & voice chips ala Primal would be a nice added touch for future Supremes.

As for the other Supremes: Supreme Cheetor just seemed like a bad choice to begin with, but the entire BM line seemed like it had a shit load of characters that didn't belong in the size classes that they were in (ultra jetstorm & nightscream anyone?). Black Unicron was simply Hasbro taking advantage of good sales and I don't think he'd have shown up in that color in the show if Hasbro hadn't colored him like that. Supreme Starscream just looked like an upsized version of the smaller mold with some added gimmicks. Sure, he was the right size to interact with the other characters (based on the fact that he's roughly that big once he absorbs Primus spark), but he needed to be designed better and not just seem like a larger version of his smaller counterpart. Omega Suprem/Sentinel were nice concepts and were characters that really fit the Supreme class size. Unfortunantly they suffered from the same thing that all the Energon Autobots suffered from... they were designed with combinations in mind first, but they would have been better off simply focusing on the robot modes. Other wise, the "Twin Omegas" were really nicely designed.

As for who else they could do? Well, pretty much anyone they've already done is up for grabes again since the AEC universe is officially at a close with Cybertron. At least, that's what Hasbro seemed to be hinting at. So if we saw a reboot in the series again after the movie line, we could get Metroplex, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, Scorponok, Fortress Maximus & anyone that fits in that giant size class. Of course, I really wouldn't want to see another version of Unicron and Primus... I'd personally want to see the next universe give those two a break anyways.

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    You know who should be given an updated Supreme mold?

Trypticon

or Fort Max, Liege Maximo or a transforming G2 Warworld would be nice.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see Fortress Maximus made in the Supreme class. Make him look like he did in G1 but this time, give him tons of joints instead of being a brick.

8. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

Gestalts like Predaking would be great, especially for the classics line. Alas, their sales based on the higher cost won't move them off the shelves. I won't be expecting to see any supreme class figures on the shelves ever in the US.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of the Supreme class, and I wouldn't really mind if they stopped using it so much. One figure a line is alright, but multiples is really kind of pushing it. Especially since Supremes only sell well around Christmas.

Sure, a giant Transformer is cool, but in the end they tend to be just too damn big and bulky to display easily. I have Unicron and Primus standing on top of my stereo speakers largely because there's nowhere else to put them.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Future Supreme sounds like a pizza...

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Supremes never sold all that well in Japan either. Unicron shelfwarmed, the Black one was a store exclusive, Omega Supreme was a general release but I think he shelfwarmed, Super Starscream was a store exclusive, and Primus was almost not released, until he came out in retro-G1 packaging and a (I assume) more limited run.
    In the US, to my knowledge the only non-shellwarmer Supreme pre-Primus was Omega Sentinel because he was only available for a short while between Omega Supreme restocks. Cheetor bombed, and Air Attack Primal shelfwarmed a little even though he was a store exclusive.

I'd not get my hopes up for more Supreme sized toys for the moment. To be honest, I think TFs are fine without anything larger than Ultra, with maybe that next size class for the really special guys. The increased cost of the big guys puts a whole lot of people off, me included.

12. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I really don't think we'll see another supreme for a while, unless Hasbro decides to do a "super duper big fancy electronic Optimus Prime" for the movie line.

And I'm sure sales of the movie line will be an influence on the next iteration of the line.

As far as future supremes, the only one that really comes to mind is Fortress Maximus. Other than that, Hasbro will probably start doing new characters (*gasp* new characters?!), maybe some obscure Japanse stuff. I always wanted a kickass King Atlas ;) 

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One price glitch for a week or so in Target's computers isn't about to bring the end of the supremes. Whether or not Hasbro considers them viable to continue producing is another story. Not a big fan of the supreme class, but one every once in a while is ok - particularly when they're as nicely done as Unicron and Primus. Supreme Cheetor on the other hand... ouch!

Hey, if you can live with that, fine - no need to justify your actions to a bunch of people you don't know on the internet.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a large closet that also serves as a boundary between my living room and kitchen. The duplex was designed this way, I dunno why. However, the closet ends about 3 feet from the ceiling (which is at its apex over the shelf). Since this shelf is the same length and width as the closet, it has my 'big toys' on it. Going around clockwise, I have RID Omega Prime, 20th Anniversary Prime, Unicron, King Starscream, Cyb. Metroplex, Brave Max, Armada Jet Prime w/ Overload, Powermaster Prime w/ Apex Armor, E. Omega Sentinel (with Prime and Wingsaber attached), RID Scourge (who doesn't quite belong, and is actually in his box) and some left room for Primus when I get him. I LOVE having these big figures. 2 a year seems just about right for me. They look great together, and I'm looking forward to more of them. I might just have to get a Trypticon, because he'd look so cool up there. And if anyone has a black Unicron they're looking to get rid of cheap (~$20), let me know.

-Tony!
    Will soon put Cybertron FrankenPrime there as well.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I actually don't mind Supremes (other than the price) and like all of them I have (Original Unicron, Omega Supreme and Starscream) and I'm REALLY looking forward to Primus even though its a little disappointing the toy is that small. That said I really wouldn't mind if they stopped making that size class, though I would gladly drop $50 on a supreme Trypticn homage in a heartbeat.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Actually in my srea, when Supreme Starscream was first released it sold out pretty damned quick for awhile. Then it shelfwarmed for awhile, then at Christmas it flew off the shelves again. I guess it just depends on the area.

17. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

As much as I love the Supremes I love the price of them in the US a lot more than here!

18. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'll possibly buy Primus for $15 a year from now when it's warming the shelf.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

"I'll wait for it on clearance."

That's what's killing the Supreme line. Sure, they move, but too slowly because... well I'm gonna sound a dick but whatever, a lot of fans are cheap. I don't recall hearing that in any other fandom, and I've looked around.

Supreme Starscream was a mistake.

20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think Supremes do "well enough" for Hasbro to warrant their continuation. I just don't know what future characters they could use in the line. Supreme Starscream was a major mistake for sure. That figure goes to show you how badly Hasbro wanted another supreme figure. Which goes to show you that Unicron and Omega Supreme did really well for Hasbro.

For future surpremes, folks have mentioned Fort Max or a supreme Optimus. Those definitely do seem like good candidates.

The idea I had was instead of supremes, Hasbro should put out gifts packs at the same supreme price point. What if instead of a supreme we got a set a combiner gift set that had 5 deluxe toys that combined or 4 deluxe toys and 1 voyager toy that combined?

The tricky part to that of course, is it commercially viable for a gift set to compete with 5 individual packed toys?

I know that I'd much rather have a 5 piece combiner composed of 4 or 5 deluxes toys (and maybe a voyager) then another supreme starscream.

I don't know. But its an idea. Omega Supreme and Starscream didn't impress me. But Unicron and Primus did. Hrm...