Future scalper toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus12, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Out of the toys currently in stores, which do you think will be scalped in the future?

My bet would probably be on generations Thundercracker, Warpath, and possibly Rts Grapple

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    "Scalped" does not mean the same as "secondary market value"

Just because a toy is popular on the secondary market (like any and all Classics or Classics themed releases) doesn't mean the sellers are "scalping" it. Scalping applies to new products, toys that are new and someone is trying to make a premium on a toy that will be readily available in a few weeks, not stuff that has been out for almost a year.

The market determines the secondary market value of stuff. If there are enough people willing to pay a premium for prior year toys, a seller would be FOOL not to capitalize on that (which is the case with most Classics toys: lots of people coming late to the party are seeking these important characters and are proving willing to pay a premium for them)

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think RTS laser prime will be due to the Maketoys tanker add on trailer, much like FP' armor made Rodimus a valuable figure.

Full Disclosure: I've already stockpiled about 6 of them at the 7.99 price point for future trade bait.

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime voyager Bulkhead due to low stockage.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Prime Arcee (due to eventually being the only one in the 2nd assortment)

6. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

not really in stores here, but Striker Optimus Prime looks like a hot item.

7. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    We don't know future wave assortments of either Prime Dlx or Voyager waves. They could be plentiful going forward.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Grapple has value in North America but non particular in the UK. if anyone wants one they are easy to get in the UK.

Voyager DOTM Megatron is harder to get than the others but i'm not sure if that = higher value.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

First off this is true. Second i think TFP first edition Cliffjumper since he is one per case if i recall.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime Vehicons. Given how many people are going to want to troop build using these figures, I can see their value going up quickly.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

DotM leader Sentinel Prime. Just look at the crazy eBay prices for RotF leader Megatron and Jetfire!

12. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    No doubt the DOTM Leadfoot/Twin Twist 2 pack will be heavily scalped, given how many of us fans are actually highly anticipating it.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I would call that a maybe. It all depends on how many were made and distribution. It is very likely to be scalped but if they show up fast and in numbers the scalpers wont be able to move them.

14. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'm sure scalpers frequent places like this, so I say we start false rumours that toys like Prime Voyager Prime and Deluxe Bumblebee will be highly wanted.

You know the overpacked stuff.

15. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

It's going to be trans-scan BB. That thing is hawt and exclusive!

16. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

I have a feeling there's gonna be endcaps full of leadfoot and twintwist packs at target.

17. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

supreme ROTF devastator goes for a lot now. I remember when they could be bought at wal-mart for $10-$15

18. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I can see it. Until recently, those endcaps were still full of HA Leadfoots around here.

I always thought Scalping was when secondary market sellers would buy up all of a given product, artificially creating a drought of said product, then sell it back at absurd prices. What it seems this thread is about, is what toys may go up in secondary market value in general. It's like what was already stated, about how toys with the CHUG/Classics aesthetic will see the highest increase due to their nature, and not due to any lacking numbers (at least around here; dead cats and pegs full of Wheeljacks, am I right?)

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    ^Exactly, I don't really see too much that is out right now as scalper bait, but the Classics style figures will eventually go up faster in value. This market is really odd to me on determining what is going to be valuable in the future. About 4 months back I was still seeing Leader Megs on shelves at KMart, now both ROTF versions are going for a significant premium. Hell, the Allspark Deluxes are even fetching a fair amount from the first movie after sitting on clearance at Target for a while. I am not about to predict what is going to be hot in the future as a lot of the hot figures right now are turds in my mind.

As far as HA Leadfoot goes, I think something strange is going on with that figure. I have a feeling that Target is planning on setting up an endcap with the Deluxe and the HA figure as the Targets near me no longer have them on the shelf, but they are sitting in the backroom.

New waves are always going to be scalper bait as many of us fear short stocking like the final waves of ROTF. However, just like there is a big difference between aftermarket value and "scalper prices", there is also a big difference between "the scalpers beat me" and a high demand figure. If you are not showing up at opening on stock days, or during stocking hours, expect to be beat by other local collectors. There are significant amount of collectors out there who don't post on the boards.

20. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Very true. I know there's a rather high scalper population in San Diego, but I also know that a lot of geeks live out here, both TF and not, so lack of a figure can't be attributed to scalpers alone.

Also, not many of the 'overpriced scalper' shops (IE comic shops) that I've gone to even carry Transformers.