Future of Nintendo Hardcore

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Nov 19, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    My wife bought the Wii about 8 months ago. She played it for 3 weeks, had bought about 8 games for it, hasnt been touched since. I saw her play Super Mario galaxy a few times, but that was the closest to the Wii experience Ive been. Just when I thought the game looked neat, Mario would let out his homo-yell and I would just hug my 360 and PS3

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a Wii and own Mario Galaxy and that is it. The only time it gets fired up is when I want to do some VC gaming other than that it is a paperweight.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Seek... I know I am going to get stoned for this.... and I would almost stone myself if I hadn't really thought of this... But Myamoto's time, while still earning a great deal of respect from me is no longer what it used to be. Mario is far far far from being my favorite platform character, with games like Ratchet, Sly, and even Jak completely reinventing the wheel and presenting elements for all age groups and game type, one of them even leaning towards the GTA crowd. Metroid can't hold up to the love that people hold for Halo.... which is why I always thought that Retro should have made the entire game Third Person like Zelda, with a Lock on of sorts. The rest of the list belongs to games that I no longer have any interest in. And while I won't deny their greatness (nor even say that Metroid is bad my any means), the games coming from Nintendo-Prime are no longer the only GOOD games out there. Nintendo is used to people assuming that they are the only ones with quality first party titles, but that just simply is no longer the case.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kinda feel the Zelda series has strongly lost some of it's shine, but I feel Mario Galaxy is just about the best platformer since, well, Mario 64 actually. Besides that, the Metroid series hasn't really failed me, even if the newer ones don't reach the greatness of Super Metroid. Nintendo still can make a great titles, but they certainly are fewer and farther in between, and I play my 360 and PS3 more.

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I guess thats what happens when you make a system that has the mind set of kids playing with mom and pop, which really just is the kids playing and mom and pop are just going through the motion.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

hehe, going through the motion. LOL

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Funny thing is that Nintendo pisses me off more than anything. But that Pissedoffness comes from knowing how much they entertained me during NES, and SNES (N64 too but it had the same vacant spots as Cube) and how, in a way, they have abandoned. No, they didn't ruin my chilhood...drugs did that :D  . But I want them to bring more things out and give me a reason to own a wii, but at this point I can't justify it, because I know it will just sit there.

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

found an IGN article that kinda talks about what we're talking about. IGN Advertisement

9. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

The SNES really was the BEST SYSTEM EVER. It started off at launch with 2 controllers instead of just one and gave us a free game that we would have gladly paid $70 for (new games really were that much). That game was the best Mario ever, Super Mario World (many say Super Mario Bros. 3, which was re-released on the SNES with better graphics). It had the best fighters like Super Punch Out! and because Street Fighter II was the closest thing to the arcade, better than the Genesis. We had more than are share of great Mario games and shooter games like Battle Clash using the great and forgotten Super Scope. RPGs were in love with the SNES. The greatest RPGs ever like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II (IV), Final Fantasy III (VI), etc. I could keep going on about the great platformers, puzzlers, strategy titles and so on. The SNES was simply the best console for those that loved great games. If Nintendo can reclaim that prestige that it had with the Super Nintendo, then there would be no stopping them. Everything since has been incomplete.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing I liked more on the Genesis Street Fighter 2 was that the Genesis controller (six button) was tons better for the fighting game than the SNES controller.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of companies have dissapointed me over the years, but Nintendo does have a good monopoly on my childhood memories. But I remember how freaking shaky I was being all excited for Chirstmas when I knew I was getting Sonic 2. Now this week, Sonic Unleashed is releasing and like a scared animal I'm holding off going near it until I know I can trust it. Also, Squaresoft, now Square-Enix, used to have an incredible track record that has slowly dissipated since the 16-bit days where now I will pretty much only get their FF remakes or a new, full FF game, which is now about every 4 years at best.

You know, I think Capcom may be the only company that has maintained a consistent level of quality since my childhood. Konami comes close to.

I just got so used to the snes controller for fighters thanks to Street Fighter 2 that I ended up preferring it over arcade sticks and the Genesis controller. I liked not having my thumb being the only digit to hit a button.

12. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    It's weird. Last year the Nintendo Wii was THE console. One year later, everyone's rippin' Nintendo for not making any more good games. :lol  All we're getting now is Carrot Top's-excuse me, SHAUN WHITE'S Snowboarding, Animal Crossing, a sequel to Wii Sports, and a new accessory for the Wii Remote to make it more precise (which they should have done in the first place).

No new Mario, Zelda, Kirby, nor even an F-Zero game for the Wii. What the hell, Nintendo? The way I see it, Nintendo may very well go the way of Sega pretty soon.

13. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I've quietly sold my Wii. It just sat there. I love the AAA titles, but like everyone has said they're few and far in between. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Wii comes with less AAA titles than the PS3 right now. I had my theatre room looking all pretty, with my Wii, PS3 and My 360, and the only one I played regularly was the 360.

i won't buy another Wii, but I may purchase another PS3 when they are inevitably forced to drop the price next year.

14. DragoUnicron

DragoUnicron Dragon Master

I definately can see the frustration with lack of good games for the Wii, but I for one think that a good share of the problem is that 3rd parties are making the machine look like crap. They throw out all kinds of bad waggle games that flood the shelves. I would love to see more quality games coming from both Nintendo and others. There are so many darn possibilities with this new set up, I just wish we would see someone make a better effort. This is not the only problem by far, for there is a drought for the wii, and I myself have actually caught up on all my Wii games (which is impressive considering how little I play video games).

As I was reading peoples responses in this thread, a thought struck me, and I don't know if it is true, or if my ideas are colored by my bad memory. But anyways, does it seem that Nintendo stopped really trying after Sega "died?" I remember the Nintendo/Sega wars to be a major thing and both sides were competing hard, producing good games at a fast rate. Each company was trying to outdo the other. Then after the Dreamcast died, it seems that Nintendo just gave up competing altogether. I don't ever really remember them making the same attempt to compete with the Playstation that they made with Sega. It just seems that Nintendo lost the fighting spirit that they had when we were kids. Or maybe I'm just not remembering things very well.

15. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

From my financial perspective, I'm glad they wait a long time for the new 'Fantasic Games' to come out. I mean, look at CoD 4. A game released in 2007, almost completely superseded by World At War because everyone plays the game far too much in one sitting and get bored of it really quickly.

This way, it's easier to pace myself with games and not to spend $100 in JUNE for a game replaced FIVE MONTHS LATER. It irks me. It irks me bad.
    I'm going to sit in the corner and cry now.
    G'night.

16. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

It seems like that a lot. The SNES and Genesis were relatively similar consoles, so the battle mainly came down to games. With both of their flagship in-house icons, Mario and Sonic duking it out. It was always about which game was better. Then Sony came along with the PSOne. The N64 was the big dog as far as technology went and yet stilled used cartridges. This made it increasingly difficult for third parties to get the most out of the hardware. It was easier to make games for Sony, case in point Square with Final Fantasy. Nintendo was losing due to the console, which in effect hurts the games. This persisted with the next round with the PS2 vs. XBOX vs. Gamecube. The PS2 was the king. The children that were raised on Nintendo with great third party games were adults and the PS2 had great third party games. Not to mention that the PS2 was perceived as the adult console while Nintendo's little lunchbox console was kiddy. Nintendo was still losing due to the console. They saw that the public perceived the PS2 as the console with great games, which it did, so they changed how you play. Enter the Wii. The user-friendly console thats not the 'kiddy console', but its the 'everyone console'. There's something for everyone, although not enough for the hardcore. It suddenly transcends the gamer market and becomes a "vital" ornament of life next to the cell phone and the IPod. While the PS3 vs. XBOX 360 is about games, a battle that the 360 is winning handedly, Nintendo is winning over all because its not about the games, its about the console.

17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Nintendo has and always will concentrate on kids/teens. The problem hardcore gamers find, lies not with Nintendo, but with themselves. They grew up, but Nintendo has kept the same focus it's had since day one, and so far minus a few crappy systems here and there, they've been doing a bang up job of pleasing their market with their products.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's fine, but they always made kid/teen games, but they made them damn good, and even back in the days, Zelda was for kids, but it challenged with good puzzles dungeon design and items to find and help you find more secrets. That's why I always loved the series. Now it's cooking simulators, petz on digital, and board games, that are probably more fun to play, you know, with a board. They can stick to their guns and make kid-friendly game, but stick to the guns that made you who you are, and keep those fans happy, and also experiement with new things. They alienating the fans that gave their body to Reggie in the name of Nintendo, and focusing on people who never touched a game console. Which from a business angle is great, because MS and Sony stole that from them, but you can't just bring in new gamers because you have a lot of loyal old ones.

19. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when my game library for super nintendo was huge but for the wii it's very small. It would be nice if they did as people said and concentrate on kid/teen games but they also need to add alot more depth to games for older fans.

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    My parents are getting a Wii...for bowling. How sad. VC is what interests me most, but not enough to buy one.