Future of Japanese Transformers toys to be revealed in upcoming Figure Oh! magazine?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=5605

Here's waiting to get a report from F2F soon.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Man, watch them totally steal Hasbro's thunder and announce their version of the Classics line or something.

3. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

unless it's a joint production

why this hostility?

4. KidDynamite

Uhh...what hostility?

I've got nothing against Takara. 95% of everything in the franchise is a joint production of the two companies.

5. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Ooh, can't wait.

6. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

I'm sorry then, I was under the impression you were not happy about it if Takara were to announce the neo G1 before Hasbro

7. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

OBSERVE, as I cross my fingers in the hopes of a BT Mirage!!!

Huh...

You couldn't really observe that, could ya'?

My bad.

Have fun, all!!!

8. KidDynamite

Heh. Hell no. I don't care who announces it first. The sooner the better I say.

It was more a humerous observation that little snippets have been dropping on the Hasbro end since September and Takara hasn't said jack yet, but Takara MIGHT take all the glory and fully unveil the line before Hasbro gets a chance to.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some random predictions, just for fun:

- A stepped up TFC release schedule, also tapping into HM and MF characters
    - More from the Microman lines, branching out into new properties and lisencees
    - Another Masterpiece Brave after Dragon Kiser (Might Gaine?)
    - Several big reissues (Victory Saber, Dai Atlas, Overlord)
    - Several more Brave reissues beyond Great Goldran
    - Perhaps reissue/upgrades of Eldoran bots now that Tomy molds are available

10. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Tomy will announce that they will be handling the selling of TF's in foreign markets themselves and break from Hasbro. The two will spend years in court battling over the intellectual properties, the movie will be postponed indefinitely and eventually cancelled, and Dinozaurs will emerge as the most popular of sentient transforming robot toys.

11. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I'm not really sure how anyone can be angry at either company. Why? Look at the back of the package your beloved TransFormers come in. "Licensed from Takara Inc." Meaning they truly hold all the cards. Hasbro has the rights through a partnership with TakaraTomy. If TT wanted to, they could revoke it, then we're all screwed. As it stands, I think we're pretty darn lucky that someone still makes what we like and makes it available. They could easily take their marbles and go home (so to speak).

I'm all for whoever keeps it going. :) 

12. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    The future?, They're going to have teenagers in their chests as a living embodyment of the spark.

You heard it here first!

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just hope their is some news on Binaltech line.

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The TF news will be this:

Broadcast is cancelled and will be replaced by a remolded toy called Broad Convoy, this toy will be repainted into Twin Convoy, who will be packaged with the exclusive casette Flip Convoy.

The next G1 reissue will be 'Anime Movie Convoy' a (minor) retool of New Years Convoy with battle damage. It will come with an 'exclusive' plain white plastic coffee cup and a non-waterproof sticker of the Seibertron logo that you can put on it.

THS-03 will be Ultra Magnus a repaint of THS-02, followed by THS-04, Black Convoy. There will also be a 'limited' Masterpice Black Convoy which will cost 1.5 times the price of MP Convoy becasue of it being limited in production.

The highlight will be Megatron Convoy, yes that evil Megatron has stolen one of Convoys spare bodies and repainted some bits of the body purple and left the head the same.

In reality, i expect nothing but inane platitudes from this forthcomming 'article'.

TT would be shooting themselves in the foot. The US is the biggest market for TF's and they probably want Hasbro to distribute their toys in the West anyway.

Zoids didn't work out last time, but hey if American kids prefer sentient mecha over piloted mecha, then the American kids *must* be wrong.

15. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I have no idea of what the contract(s) look like, but I doubt Takara/Tomy hold all the cards. They probably own the likenesses of the toys that made up the original G1 cast, at least for the first couple of years. But beyond that, I'd say that Hasbro wields the bigger stick. The basic storyline was created by Marvel on commission from Hasbro, and I doubt that Hasbro would simply sign this intellectual property away to a company that had failed to exceed mediocrity selling these toys on their own.

In fact, the most popular fictions both in an out of Japan have been the ones commissioned by Hasbro. So if they were to part ways, Hasbro would have to redesign their characters, find someone else to engineer the toys (or do it themselves), and either find another manufacture or build their own plant in China to mass produce the toys. But they would still retain the rights to the original story, to BW/BM, to the western names (Hasbro keeps Optimus Prime, Tomy keeps Convoy, etc).

Heck, if anything Takara is endebted to Hasbro for seeing more than the pittance for transforming toys that Microman and Diaclone got them. What made Transformers a huge success was what Hasbro brought to the mix.

But yeah, I have no negative feelings for Takara or Tomy; well, other than the fact that they can't seem to hire halfway decent writers for their shows. But the partnership should stand, with Hasbro exercising more control with regards to the fiction from now on.

16. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    here is nobody observing me doing the same thing.

17. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When should this magazine issue be coming out?

18. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just checked F2F and it looks like it would be out in a couple days.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If I remember correctly, Hasbro bailed Takara out of bankruptcy after the failure that was "Transformers 2000: Car Robots" in Japan. So I think the only thing Takara holds in their hand is a bit of cash from Tomy, and nothing more.

Just because you can make the toys doesn't mean you know how to sell them. And I doubt Tomy would want to break off Takara's partnership with their best customer, so to speak.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The magazine will be out on the 24th in Japan. And more pictures of THS G1 Convoy along with some recap of recent releases and some 2006 lineup (as mentioned already), according to Takara Stuff in Transformer Community.