Customs: Future Floor Polish

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I keep hearing people talk about how great this stuff is. It's basically a brush on clear coat. However, I can't find it. I've looked in the home improvement section ( with the wood stains and such ) as well as the chemical department ( with the bleach, pledge, etc...) and I can't find any of it. Can anybody post a picture of the bottle so I know what to look for? Or even tell me what department it's in at Wal-Mart?

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Hmmm... I did not see that at all. I only checked those two departments and it wasn't there. Do you know what part of the store carries "high end furniture polish"?

5. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i found a bottle in Walmart for like $4

6. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

+1 for finding it at Walmart.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
  8. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm finally down to under half of my portion. That's after about 4 years now. It's one of the best buys I've gotten for my customs. I so wished I'd known about this stuff when I was starting out . . . .

10. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

could someone do a before/after pic...

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I can't because I incorporate Future in with my paint.

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you mix it in the bottle of paint? Testors?

13. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Can anyone tell me the department they find it in at Wal-Mart? It's a very large store and I can't find it. I need more info than just "with the high end floor polishes". I don't know where those are either.

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

At mine it's in the grocery center. If you start at the end of the aisle where the cleaners like windex, pine sol and all that are and go almost all the way down and to your left it was there I believe.

15. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks Fishdirt. I looked in that aisle and didn't see it. Now that I know for sure that's where it's supposed to be, I'll look again only more closely this time.

16. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I mentioned it in my post earlier......at Wal-Mart, look in the floor care/cleaning product sections (not sure what their official label is for the section). There are only a few aisles that have cleaning products (I'm talking a bathroom, kitchen, floor cleaners), but right there on one of those aisles (or one adjacent to them) is a section of floor care products. Not cleansers, but things like Swiffer, brooms, mops, floor wax, etc. That's where you need to look, man.

17. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    great tips... I'm think I'm gonna look for it soon... and put all current paint phases on hold

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    No, not usually. Normally, I do it the other way around. I pour some Future in a small container, then I pour some paint into the same container, then mix them together. The goal is not be more conservative on the amount of Future in the mix.

Also, note that I don't start my base coat out this way. My base coat is some kind of primer, whether it's a flat color or even the base hue of the end result. For example, I painted a base coat of Krylon Fusion Black on some parts. While the coat is already nice, for the top coat, I'll brush on a coat of gloss black/Future mix. With those pieces, I've only needed the base coat and the top coat + Future. Generally, the lighter the color is the more coats of paint it will need. That means that with a color like yellow, I'll need the base coat, several base coats of yellow, and yellow + Future mix.

The reason I do this is that Future floor also has a slight hardening aspect to it. The key word there is "slight". What that does is it places some of that aspect into my coats of paint. The main reason, of course, is the self-smoothing aspect of Future. When applied properly, Future will smooth out itself, thus alleviating much of the brush strokes laid down.

And, yes, I almost exclusively use Testors acrylics. I use Kyrlon Fusion for my base coats typically, as well.

19. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Oh okay, I get what your saying.

Yeah, I'm still new at this, what I tried was a watered down paint thinner to try to, like your saying, smooth out the paint. But, not working too well haha. Really looking for alternatives to "pull" the paint back. That idea of a hardener makes sense. Kinda like that self leveling spraycan paint. I wanna try some of the good stuff, I just can't afford the 6 dollars per can my hobby center wants for a tiny spraycan.

I got a porter cable compressor and lines and water filters, but need a nice airbrush. Think Ill try a cheap ass ebay gun and try to dial it in. For some reason, with that cheap ebay knockoff crap, I'm sure Im only gonna speed-dial the garbage can and say hello hehe.

Thanks for the tip S7.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Sure thing!

As far as "thinners", just make sure that you're using oil-based thinners for oil-based paints (enamels, mostly) and water-based thinners (like Future or H2O itself) with water-based paints (acrylics).

If you're just starting, I HIGHLY suggest going out, shopping for some clearance TFs, and do some small project-practicing!

• Like Like x 1