Customs: Future Floor Finish Techniques 2009, COME AND CONTRIBUTE!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wylungz, Oct 7, 2009.

1. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

ok , yes i kno i have been very annoying person in these forums asking about future finish.. but i believe this specific thread will end it all..(with everyone's corporation).. =D

I've started to use Future and i've applied to two customs that i had not mixed with future.. just painted. (with tamiya) and then i let it cure around 2 weeks and then i applied two coats of future to them.. now im going to wait a full week for them to cure. (its been 3-4 days now)..

another test i had done is actually mixing/thinning my paints with future.. and then after i let that cure i guess i'll apply a coat or 2 of future..

however!...

i've heard different techniques used by using future from Superquad7, mampy, wingsbr... but they all have their own real techniques that suites them best .. as i will have to find out myself also..

wat i think we should all do.. is ur techniques using future.. specifically...

1.- if u mix future with ur paints, how much do u mix (wat kinda paint too)
    2.- how long do u wait after ur done painting to apply a coat of future for sealing. do you wait for it to fully cure first? (a week-2weeks)
    3.- how many coats of future do u apply and how long u wait between each coat of them..
    4. how long do u wait for the future seal to cure.. week?

basically a detailed version of ur procedures

i'll go first and maybe if anyone will add their own or just comment if their doing the same or some part different...

1. i pour my tamiya paint into a small cup.. and add a couple drops of future and mix.
    2. i let certain sections im painting let dry for about 24-48 hrs.. while that dries. im doing other sections..
    3. after im done painting im going to let it cure for about 3-7 days.. before i apply future for a seal..
    4. (i will apply one first but im not sure wat i should do about a second.. i've heard i should wait a day and do the other .. or some people say wait a couple hrs.. if i do it too soon .. and dont let the first layer to dry, i heard people say that the second layer would be put on top of it and the first layer.. that hadnt dried perfectly would stay the way it is... iunno if thats true..

thats all i got

this will end all threads of future! and hell if u dont use future.. wat do u do then? let everyone know!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Before one goes any further, this is a must read: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214559-all-you-wanted-know-about-future-finish.html

(Collected from my posts in this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/271392-im-future-finish-wagon.html):

Future takes 15 mins or so to dry, but to fully cure it takes at least 8 hrs. I generally wait the full 8 hrs before I touch the parts.

Lately, I've been mixing Future in with my paint while I paint instead of waiting until a finishing coat. I've been getting better results because the Future self-levels, thus self-leveling my paint quite a bit. It's reduced my sanding time dramatically.

This is a bit tricky to answer. However, I'll say that less is more here. If you glop on Future, it'll dry that way. As I've said, I have been mixing Future with my paint. Here's how I'm doing it:

1. I get a container to pour a very small amount of Future in.
    2. I dip my brush in my paint.
    3. With paint on my brush, I dip my brush into the container that I've allotted for Future. (I plan on using a single color, as I don't want to mix colors here).
    4. Future will thin my paint, and typically I want the paint to cover the area, so I don't mix much Future with my paint.

That's pretty much it. Another thing you can also do is use a full coat of Future as a top coat. Again, I recommend using a tiny amount, essentially enough to wet my brush with Future, but not so much where it's a huge glop. However, too thin of a coat of Future will dry really quickly and brush marks will show up. I really think it's one of those processes of trial and error, where you get a feel for everything instead of having a very precise formula.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

hmm a trick future can fix loose joints,

takes buffing scratches out of windshields,

you can tint future with printer ink and make unique washes,

future lifts acrylic paint and ink witch is a double edged sword,

you can spray it out of an airbrush or dip your part in it,

it is great for sealing stickers or decals of any kind ,

it smells good,

oh and did you know you can wax your floor with it ?,

one down side:(  it does yellow with age this depends how thick you put it on the thicker the faster it yellows. also it is not good for sealing other things that get weathered like bicycles

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can confirm some of these, but a few of these I've had problems with:

Yep :) 

While I've not used printer ink, I do know it's certainly thin enough to do washes. A word of caution though: if you're trying to do a wash that's flat, it'll make your wash glossy (or at least more so than your base color).

I certainly can't deny this, but I can't confirm this either. I've used Future to top coat acrylics (both from my customs and toys straight out of the box) and have never had this happen to me with acrylics. Ink on the other hand, see below.

It's certainly thin enough :thumb 

I've actually had Future eat away ink from an inkjet. This was mainly on clear label paper, and I'd attribute that more to the paper than the ink. I think the main thing here is that Future can rewet a surface and ink.

You paint sniffer! :lol 

I like the smell of it :) 

I think this depends on how heavy the top coat is. I've had some yellowing using it on white paint, but that's my fault more than anything because when it's happened, I've tended to use too much.

Future can alter the hue of paint just a little bit. I think this is noticeable more with lighter colors though. Again, this depends on how much is used. Also, I've not noticed a dramatic difference in hue using it though. The most I've noticed is with white. My Alternators Detritus' hue was altered quite a bit, but that's because I used a flat paint (it darkened the tan I was using, but made it glossy as well).