Customs: Future Finish floor polish vs. Polyurethane Gloss Coat spray

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fragmare, May 7, 2012.

1. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    In everybody's experience and personal opinion here, which gives better results for a final protective finishing coat? I've read good things about both, but has anyone compared the two directly?

2. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

To me Future is easier to work with and very durable. You almost have to screw up on purpose with it to make a mistake. Sprays are very easy to mess up with.

3. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    Yea, and since this G1 Seeker repaint will be my first custom I've done (other than modeling when I was a kid), I'd probably be better off with something more idiot-proof lol. Plus, somebody mentioned you can also use Future to tighten joints... I'm definitely leaning towards Future Finish.

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sprays (out of a spraycan) can be challenging. Too little, you have bumps, too much, you have sagging. Also when spraying, you will typically have to disassemble or mask off parts. Challenging if you need touchups.

Future is a nice product, especially starting off.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's the recommended curing time for Future? Is there any special procedure for applying coats, and what is a good number of coats?

6. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

total noob question how do you use future floor polish? Is it brushed on?? Once it cures this means you can handel your figures without the paint comming off?

7. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
  8. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

The recommended curing time is no less than 24 hours. Once you've painted it on, find a good place to put the item where it will neither tip over, or collect dust. Once the day is over with, it will have cured, and be safe to touch or move parts. Unless I'm trying to tighten loose joints (like '86 Bumblebee or Hubcap's arms), 1 coat is good enough.

Hint: If you have a G1 Grapple (or Inferno or Hot Spot), paint a few small stripes of F.F.F. across sections of the boom crane or extending ladders. Once dried and cured, carefully stow the ladder/crane arm back into the "at rest" position. When transformed into robot mode, your Autobot's appendage will no longer involuntarily drop to the floor. (
    Unless your bots learn how to change to Cinemax
    ... :lol )

9. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    I just got a message back from Zildjian. I'd asked him about using Future as the "middle" coat for his chroming technique. He said since it's acrylic, the Alclad II chrome would eat right through it, where as the Polyurethane is strong enough to hold up to it. I guess that's one thing you can't use Future for. :/

10. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

so this is what I picked up at Walmart.
    [​IMG]

I am testing it on some small accessories first and one leg of my megs. I applied a really thin layer over the paint. This should work correct?

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should do the trick.

12. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    Does Future have an expiration date, so to speak? I've been using the same bottle for well over a year...Seems to still work fine.

13. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys, appreciate this is an old thread. I live in the UK and as far as I'm aware, we can't get hold of Future polish over here, but I need something to tighten MP10 Primes ankle joints up. There is a product called astonish from amazon which boasts a non slip finish
    Astonish Non-Slip Wood Floor Polish 750ml: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
    Claims also to work on tiles and Lino, but because I'm visually impaired, I can't see if it's clear or not.
    What do people think? what do you need to look for when choosing a polish? should I use cling film sandwiched in the joint instead perhaps?

14. Xonic

Xonic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    OH also, if this comes ina spray, is it best to spray onto a cloth and then work it onto the post from there?

15. DonnieTsunami

DonnieTsunami Well-Known Member

I actually use Future in my paint to thin it down. Future is self leveling and thus helps to hide brush strokes and has the added bonus of drying glossy! Leave the bot alone for 24 hours!

16. Karis Mahid

Karis Mahid My fiancee is the avatr

Use Armory Matte Sealer... it is great for plastics.