Futurama!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Rewind, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I did an exhausting and thorough 30-second search and didn't find any Futurama threads here in the toy forum, so I'm making this one. Two years down the road, when someone else does a half-assed search for a Futurama thread (probably me again) and finds this one, they'll have a place to leave their overlooked and un-read comment in.

With that, I give you the standard Farnsworthian "Good News Everyone!"
    Remember that cool little line of Simpsons trading figures that KidRobot released last year? Now Futurama gets a turn:

Kidrobot <b>Futurama Mini Figures</b> 3-Inch

This is probably going to be the first time I order an entire case of blind-boxed figures because I want every single one of these and I don't have the patience or rectal fortitude to buy them in the typical trial-and-error style that would inevitably leave me with a Morbo and seven Leelas. My only bitch: NO FARNSWORTH! Or at least it looks that way. Perhaps he's a hidden chase figure, or perhaps they are saving him (and Kiff and Amy and Hermes etc.) for a second series.

In other Futurama toy matters, I recently picked up the new Amy and Clobberella figures from Toynami's line of figures. Both are excellent, if a bit lacking in articulation. At this point though I'm so thrilled the line is still alive that I can completely overlook the minimal articulation. Up next in the line is Farnsworth and Hermes, so the line better last at least long enough to see their release. I need my Planet Express crew complete and intact, dammit!

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I've not got much interest in Futurama figures on the whole, but I really want the New Justice Team figures.

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Those two sillhouettes of chase figs don't look very Farnsworthy but could be.

Last time I bought a sealed case was with Joe Ledbetter's Finders Keepers and I still didn't get a complete set. Fun, fun.

Any ideas on when these are to be released? I know it doesn't say on the preorder page but never hurts to ask.

4. Rewind

News Credits:
    I'm thinking/hoping the first sillhouette is Hypno-Toad, but it looks like it could be Slurms McKenzie too.

No idea on release date, unfortunately. I'd like to know if I need to get a preorder in soon or if I can put it off for a while.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    the first one looks like Slurms McKenzie to me too. Second chase could be Farnsworth though it could be Scruffy the Janitor...

Let me know if you get an extra Morbo...

6. Rewind

News Credits:
    Ooooh...I think you might have hit it with Scruffy. Farnsworth seems like a poor idea for a chase (being one of the main characters) but Scruffy was custom-made to be a chase figure, as only the hardcore Futurama geeks would even want him. Man, now I've got my hopes up for a Scruffy! :D 

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
  8. Rewind

News Credits:
    Heh, it didn't even cross my mind to check Ebay - which is usually the first thing I do when I want to determine if something has been released already.

I definitely want Slurms, but Sal....er...I wouldn't complain if I got him but I could live happily without him. Not that his character isn't hilarious.

9. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Well thanks to you man, my search didn't end in failure. Led me straight here. These look absolutely fabulous. I gotta admit, i'm not a hardcore fan, but i do love the series. I've got a bunch of the simpsons ones (and in hindsight shoulda just went and bought the whole damn box since i got so many damn duplicates) and love them. Too bad my cat freaking chewed up sideshow bob's damn rake. So now it's just the debate about whether to splurge for a box or not. $160 + shipping + taxes is a lot - i could get a freaking MP 04 almost. But these should be quality shit. I hate how he bumped up the price from the Simpsons ones tho.

Ya, i'm definitely not hardcore - dunno these figs. Slurms looks cool tho. Sal - meh. Lemme know what you guys end up getting and put up pics when you get them!

*EDIT - oh i forgot - anyone have any codes that work?? If i was able to get a code, then might consider a box.. hehehe. And when did they stop doing free shipping on orders > $55. That sucks that it's gone.

10. Rewind

News Credits:
    I'm going to see if the local "designer toys" shop here is getting these before ordering online. They got the Simpsons figures, so I'm hoping they'll get these. If they do, I can just grab a case from the store and save shipping.

I don't know when KR did away with the free shipping feature. Maybe they're hurting a bit this year from 'teh economiez' and cut it to save some $$.

Also, I forgot to mention before that with the Toynami Amy and Clobberella figures I was able to finally complete Robot Santa. Massive figure, and cool as hell. Amy even comes with the spikey ball for his hat (his hat came with a regular round non-spikey ball, which isn't how it looks on the show) so his look is complete. Always feels good to complete a rad BAF. Now I need to complete the Robot Devil (stupid damn expensive Fry that I passed up a million times because I already had the original...)

11. BB.206

BB.206 Well-Known Member

I ended up with a complete set after two cases.

The first case I bought didn't have either chases or Robot Devil -- I ended up with an extra Morbo. Lulubelletoys was a pretty good price with free shipping so I decided to try my luck with another case. I'm glad I did -- this was my case layout:

Mom / Mom / Fry / Fry
    Slurms / Morbo / Zapp / Bender
    Leela / Leela / Zapp / Bender
    Sal / Robot Devil / Nibbler / Nibbler

A great case I would say -- if only I didn't get two Moms...

I ended up spending more money on this set compared to the Simpsons set -- which was double the size.

Will have pictures up soon...

12. Rewind

News Credits:
    I finally found these at my local 'designer toys' store. Couldn't get the wife to agree to a full case, and we just grabbed four individual figures. Out of those four, one was Lrrr (YES!) and THREE were Fry. *sigh*

I think I'll just get the remainders individually from Ebay. Except for the Robot Devil, who is only 1/96 and is going for a fortune. As with the Toynami set, I'll just learn to live without the Robot Devil.

If anyone wants a Fry, I've got two extras that I'll sell for $3 each plus shipping.

Bitching aside, I love these things. Having a figure of Lrrr is a dream come true. The accessories are great and actually fit perfectly with Toynami's Futurama figures.

**EDIT**
    all my dupes are now gone

13. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Hahaha. funny, cuz i just saw them at the mall today too, at Metropark. $9.95 each. Screw that. That sucks you got 3 fry's, although, he does look cool. Imma wait for a kidrobot coupon code and then get some and if i for some reason don't get a fry, i'll hit you up. opening them is the fun part.

14. Rewind

News Credits:
    For anyone who's been waiting for a Professor Farnsworth figure, he's out! So is Hermes.
    Futurama - Series 07 - Hermes & Professor Farnsworth - Futurama Futurama at BigBadToyStore

And once those two arrive my Planet Express crew is COMPLETE! Well, almost complete. It'll never seem fully complete until we get a Scruffy and Qbert.

I'm hoping this line has enough life left in it for a few more aliens, robots and heads in jars. And the giant Nixonbot is a must, especially since we already have his head. AaaarrooooOOO!! The line has already lasted far longer than I expected it to so I guess anything is possible.

15. BB.206

BB.206 Well-Known Member

It took a while to get these up...I had to pick up the case I wanted for them before I could take pics of them.

[​IMG]

It took two cases, but I got almost two complete sets. I'm missing Slurms and Robot Devil for the second set.

As I mentioned in my previous post -- the second case I picked up was awesome -- other then the two Moms and Zapps.

16. Rewind

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pics! I still haven't gotten any of the figures beyond Fry, Lrrr and Morbo. I'll probably have to pick up the remainders on Ebay.

I opened my Toynami Farnsworth and Hermes figures and while they're great to have, I feel rather let down with this wave. Farnsworth looks like Farnsworth, but he's so zombiefied and stiff looking, and his feet were molded at such an angle that there is no way to keep him standing - he just falls forward. Also his hands were sculpted flat so he'll never be able to hold anything.

Hermes looks good and balances well, but also suffers from the flat-hands. They went the extra mile with his face and sculpted/painted eyes ender his glasses.

The unforgivable sin with this wave is NO ACCESSORIES. Seriously Toynami? There are so many things that could have been packed with these two, especially Farnsworth. At the very least Farnsworth should have had his Finglongerer (just an extra hand with a long finger) and Hermes should have had a Brain Slug. And I'm not counting Nibbler as he's a whole seperate figure and character, nor am I counting the Roberto pieces as accessories. Speaking of the Roberto Build-A-Figure, he's only split up over 4 figures rather than the last two which were split over 6.

When I put the evidence together:
    No accessories
    BAF split over 4 rather than 6 figures
    No figures beyond the next wave shown or announced

I end up with the conclusion that Toynami is ending the line after the next wave (Chef Bender and Mom). While I'm just happy to get the Planet Express crew, I had my hopes up for so many more characters. The Futurama universe is teaming with Aliens and Robots, and to only get a couple of them is a real shame.