Futurama: TV Revival or DVD Movies?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Blaster_Prime, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

In celebration of the new Futurama DVD coming out I pose this question...I already have my answer but I want to know what other Futurama freaks feel.

What would be better for the series? A full out renewal of the series ala Family Guy or just keep releasing a number of fairly spaced, yet well produced DVD movies?

IMO I prefer the latter. Looking at what Family Guy has become I would much rather Futurama stay in the fairly underground fandom category and produce DVD movies similar to the new one. Sure we were all excited when Family Guy came back on TV but now it just plain sucks. The show hasn't been funny in quite some time. It's gotten tired...I don't want to see that happen to my beloved Futurama. The series ended perfectly, with my favorite series finale ever, and that's how I want to remember it with small reminders every now and then of how great the show was.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, Futurama is my favorite show... ever. But that's a good and tough question. I am sure I can give a better answer once I see the DVD movie coming up. Still, I think Family Guy was always more crude and random then Futurama, so I think the series still pretty much maintains that with a touch more vulgarity. Futurama, especially the last season, actually had decent plots surrended by great comedy, and if they can keep that up in half hour spurts, then I am fine with the show continuing. If they come to the realization that they can't keep that up, then stick wth periodic movies. At this point, I would say they still have plenty of steam for the show to continue, so my answer for now is to have them make new, full seasons.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd have to see a DVD movie to say if it's the better route. I think the format might be a little too long. The humor in Futurama was very fast-paced and reruns always meant a chance to catch more jokes you missed while laughing last time.

4. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    i've seen the dvd and i rather like it, but i do think its a little long for the type of show it is

5. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering they're releasing the movies on DVD first, then breaking them up to broadcast on TV as episodes later, we're getting both options already.

And as far as I'm concerned, ANY new Futurama, no matter how it's packaged, is a good thing.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah we're kind of getting both. I'd like to see a new series, but the movies are an interesting idea. Oh, and the first one is freaking awesome.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    how is the new movie anyway.

It's notjust Futurama that's gotten lucky with this though. Dead Like me has hada straight to DVD movie filmed.

i guess the movies are just to test the water to see if the market is still out there for the shows (which it is). Chances are we'regoing to see a new season of Futurama and i just hope that they manage to keep the show's dignity and only produce shows that are genuinely good rather than filler episodes like how Familyguy now has. The Simpsons of course seems to be predominately filler shows.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Sucks that its being pulled from Adult Swim. I think they're going to do a marathon week, don't remember when though.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As mentioned, we're getting both, as the movies are going to be broken up. I also agree, having seen Benders Big Score already, that it did suffer somewhat from being such a long narrative. While there was a lot of humor, there was also a definate feel that the story could've been told in half the time or so and wouldn't have lost much.

10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Really, they're making/have made a Dead Like Me movie???? Seriously???? Need more input!!!!

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My personal dream is to pull the shit Family Guy has become and put Futurama back on the air. As usual I'm sure I'm in the minority.

12. llamatron

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say you were in the minority.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Can somebody explain how exactly Family Guy sucks now? To me it feels about the same as its always been. I only noticed the hate after that South Park episode aired. After that it became really fashionable to hate on the show. So whats with the hate? I feel its like people looking through rose colored glasses, or its just a bunch of people that dont like that their ex-niche show being popular.

That said, I want the TV show to be revived. I miss my show!

14. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Family Guy is about the same it's always been, it's the people that have changed. it's not the big new thing anymore, and people are looking for something with a little more luster now, and of course, it's fashionable to hate on what's become popular.

Most people couldn't go into detail as to why they think it sucks now or exactly how it differs from how it was before. All they can tell you is that it isn't funny to them anymore, and they'er right, THEY have lost interest, but in this case, the show is still the same.

If Futurama comes back, the same people that want it back now will be proclaiming how much it sucks a couple years later. It happens with everything, nothing is immune.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bender RULES!

16. llamatron

News Credits:
    Family Guy has always suffered from poor writing, forgettable plots, uninteresting characters and horrible animation. However, the first two or three seasons did still have a bit of a novelty factor with the references and the pop culture and all that. Unfortunately the laughs and entertainment soon ran out and there wasn't really anything left to carry it forward. When they got renewed the first episode back was pretty dang good, but from then on it was back to mediocrity. I'd rather watch an episode of Futurama were not only do I get more laughs, but I'm also treated to a decent plot and good animation.

17. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

shit, the new futurama is out already? i better get these rocks off my head.

18. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, it comes out on the 27th in DVD format. Although I'm sure if you set your sail and raise the Jolly Roger you'll find more than a few shady ports on the internet offering torrents of it.

Family Guy isn't really any different. I personally like it a bit less because my perception of the show has changed. It's not as 'new' and 'shocking' as it used to be only because I know what to expect now. I'm sure if any of us watched the newest season first without seeing anything previously it would be hilarious. I sort of feel the same way about South Park, only South Park manages to stay topical enough and creative enough where they don't have to rely on their 'shock value' so much anymore. It's still a fantastic show.

That said, Family Guy and South Park are still much better than the Simpsons is now, which was better than everything when it was at it's peak in seasons 5 through 10.

THAT said, Futurama > ALL.

oh and King of the Hill < ALL. Wait, I take that back, American Dad is < King of the Hill. With the exception of Roger, who should escape that shit show, build a time machine, travel to the year 3000 and become part of the Planet Express crew.

19. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

The old Family Guy was just doing the flashbacks and nonsensicle cut aways because they thought they were funny. Now it seems that they see that as all the fans like and give the show very little plot and add more and more of the flashbacks in there until that's all the show is.

Also, back in the day (never thought I'd use that term) the flashbacks had some sort of a connection to what was going on in the story i.e. (While at a party of some sort with cake..."I hope this is better than the last cake I had" Cut to peter cutting a huge cake and killing the stripper inside "OH GOD!!! ...coconut") The two were connected, now...there really doesn't seem to be much of any connection with the two at all and they all start off with "It's just like that time I..." and follows with nothing that has any sort of cohesive connection and makes some stupid joke or reference that is more crude than funny.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I was going to stay out of yet another stupid "z0mg Family Guy sux!1" debate (a little bored of FG, still love Futurama) but the last two words caught my attention.

"horrible animation"

I've seen that description applied to dozens of shows and movies for, as far as I can tell, no apparent reason. TFTM's a popular target around this fandom, but it's got good company in the original Popeye, Disney's 1990s catalog, BTAS, the entire Hanna Barbera library, post-S3 Simpsons, and many others. One of my favorite bits of animation, the opening sequence of the GI Joe movie, is another I don't feel gets the respect it deserves.

Animation in primetime is the best it's ever been in technical proficiency. Frankly, anyone calling Family Guy's animation horrible must never have watched Famous Studios' color Popeye shorts from the 1950s, most of HB's DC/Superfriends lineup, the first 25 episodes of non-stock footage in Armada, or, hell, roughly half of Adult Swim's original programming over the last 7 years. Or, perhaps if people tried their hand at it, they'd have more of an appreciation for the end result?

Anyway, I really want to know what qualifies the animation in Family Guy (and other specific shows) as horrible. They stay on model, the coloring is consistent, it's synced to the audio, and they're able to seamlessly jump between a fairly static household argument and a city-spanning knock-down drag-out fight with a giant chicken. What more can we realistically ask for from a non-theatrical (with all the associated time and budget restraints) production?