Futurama "Popplers" dialog edited?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hoptimus, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Watching "My Problem With Popplers" tonight. In the scene near the beginning where Fry sees the planet out the window, he wonders if they may find "a Burger Jerk or a Fishy Joe's or a Chizzler or something". That's the original line, anyway- tonight, he didn't say "Chizzler". You could see how the animation was out of sync w/ the line.

So what gives, why was it deleted? Somebody get offended? Did the Sizzler steakhouse have a problem? Was it deemed slightly vulgar-sounding?

I want my Chizzler dammit!

2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A quick Google search told me that it is a racial slur for Asians. So that's probably the reason.

3. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

You sure it wasn't just edited for time? I see a lot of shows that have snippets removed and I'm guessing it's for time. Matter of fact now that I think of it, while watching Anthology of Interest Pt. 1 earlier today I noticed that right before Leela killed Amy the "You got any gum?" line was absent.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

It was for time. About 2008 (IIRC) the FCC allowed up to a minute more advertising per hour on TV. So any show produced before that has had to be cut down.

5. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

Hmm, I did a Google search and didn't find that racial slur thing. Can't say I've ever heard that. Bummer, that was a fun word. (In the interest of playing nice, if that word bothers anyone here I'll edit it.)

Odd too about the running time thing, I'll have to pay more attention to these re-runs to see if there's anything else missing.

6. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    It's pretty much only on Urban Dictionary, which isn't really a credible reference source for anything in a realistic sense.