Futurama - Into the Wild Green Yonder is out today!!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by CripNite, Feb 24, 2009.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I went to the store today with a $10 gift card that came randomly in the mail to finally pick up Bender's Game, and lo and behold, the final Futurama movie came out today (I didn't think it was out until last month). It was such a happy coincidence that I bought them both. Now I've already seen Bender's Game, so I won't go there... and I haven't seen "Into the Wild Green Yonder" yet (waiting for my fiancee to get home from work to watch it together), but I figured I'd start a talkback thread on it.

Thoughts? Comments? I'll be back with mine later.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, these things always slip by my radar. Definite buy.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty good as usual. Standard stuff - suffers from the forced 4 episode structure and the "soft continuity reset" where all previous Fry / Leela stuff seems to have been forgotten.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say all the Fry/Leela stuff, but yeah.

There were a few jokes that ran on for far too long, though most of Mars Vegas I rather enjoyed.

Overall, if this is the end, it's a good ending. If it's not, well then it's a good place to take a break. I don't want to get too spoilery on my thoughts, but I did enjoy it. Though how much was because it was just so refreshing to have new Futurama, I don't know.

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Hot damn, I forgot this was coming out today.

Makin' a trip to pick it up. These movies have all been really good :) 

6. BigBadBoombox

BigBadBoombox Boombox Cakes superior!

I won't lie....I've been a fan since the beginning. The movie is great, but these movies were like the final moments of a terminal patient with its family watching. The final moments of the movie were like truly saying goodbye to your best friend knowing they'll be gone forever. I shed a tear in the final minutes of the movie....goodbye fry, leela and bender....you will be missed.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what also makes me cry (not literally) is that this show was cancelled while The Simpsons and Family Guy trudge on.

8. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

This sums up how I feel about the movie. I won't have a chance to pick up the DVD until the weekend (and I will pick it up, dammit!) but I did 'acquire' the movie about 2 weeks ago.

According to a Billy West interview on YouTube, the first 3 movies did well enough that FOX is talking about bringing the show back.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I thought Comedy central bought the rights to the next season.

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Futurama works better as half hour shows instead of movies. For each of the movies, I have found myself getting bored near the end, wondering when it will end. I never got bored watching the show. If it does come back, hope they stick to 30 minute stories, not trying to stretch it out for 4 episodes worth.

11. CrypticIllusionist

No, for some reason this information got jumbled around a lot over the last couple of years. Comedy Central is currently airing (old) episodes of Futurama. They're also airing each movie, each one chopped up into 4 episodes, as a new season (I believe they've done this with all of the first three by now and will for the fourth one soon). The movies themselves were green-lit by FOX.
    Comedy Central does not have rights to a new season; there is no confirmation at all if there will even be one.

12. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Well, I watched it and enjoyed it... it was probably my second favourite of the movies (Bender's Big Score is easily the best of the bunch). I gotta say that the ending is left really wide open, but it definitely leaves you wanting more, as there's some things left unexplained. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but it is a good movie, and I'm proud to have it in my collection with the rest of the series.

And I do agree with a couple of the above comments, that this series works better as half hour shows than movies. I watch the clock on the DVD player during these movies and every 22 minutes there's an apparent episode break in them, but they would feel even odder having to return in a week to continue the story.

I guess this series is officially in limbo yet again, but I remain hopeful. For Billy West's wealthy retirement, mostly. I wouldn't want him to be eating out of dumpsters.

13. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

So anyone figure out what the Alien language at the opening sequence says?

14. CrypticIllusionist

"THE HUMANS SHALL NOT DEFEAT US"
    I figured that out upon seeing screenshots before I even saw the movie. :p