Furman

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Decay_is_awesome, Sep 9, 2009.

?

how do you feel about simon furman as a transformers writer?

1. positively

102 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. negatively

26 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

like alot of people i regularly check out the tf wiki, and i always see on furmans article that he is 'well regarded in the fandom'. but lately i have seen alot of people complaining about him. personally i think he had gone about as far as he can with transformers and like seeing new names in the writing credits.

i suppose what i want to know is do you feel positively or negatively about him? i dont mean would you want him banned from transformers or anything, just what is your general feeling when you see another 'coming soon' comic is written by him?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I vote "thursday".

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like his stories and ideas, but not the way he treats characters, they all just end up with Furman-personality-chips, not to mention that all of 'em, from hobbos to high class characters speak in the exaaaaaaaaact same way.

4. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I voted negatively. Could I do any less?

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Positively. He's done some good stuff. Maybe he's slipped a little in recent years but I'd still prefer him over some of the others that have taken a crack at penning TF.

6. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    Positively. At IDW, he was creating a brand new take on transformers, he created a well crafted, deep universe which was a new take on Transformers, not just a retelling with a kewl edge of fanwankery. It's just a shame it got demolished so thoroughly by Shane.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally positive. He's good at universe-building, as evidenced at IDW before they gutted his story-arcs, and generally crafts interesting stories. However, he does have an extensive list of overused "Furmanisms" and multiple pet characters, a few of whom have hit Mary Sue status (Galvatron, Grimlock, Bludgeon kinda). Granted, in the IDW world, he was doing fairly well at not overusing his favorite characters, so he's at least working on that.

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I like him. Too bad IDW cut his stories short with AHM.

I still like Marty Isenberg better, though. THey really should let him pen a fourth season of Animated in comic form.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    He wrote the last episode of Beast Wars, if I'm not mistaken. I think that's a pretty big mark on his record.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm sticking with "neutral" on this.

I generally get a sense that Furman is a lot like Chris Claremont, the X-Men writer. Both produced some really classic stories in their prime, but these days they just spend a lot of time re-treading the same old tired ideas instead of attempting anything new.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Furman all the way, baby.

12. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

I'm a bit mixed with Furman.Althoguth I like the stuff he's written for the Marvel TFs and the IDW stuff...however,I react negatively to his written work on Beast Wars,it never seems right to me.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd like to see Furman do work on new Transformers "Settings" other than the standard G1-verse stuff. I think it would give him a chance to move away from some of his tropes and take a stab at some new ideas and storylines.

I thought his stuff on the War Within and Beast Wars was pretty good, and a breath of fresh air from his G1 stuff, which, although nice, has kind of been more of the same for years.

14. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Simon Furman hovers over Transformers fiction like some vast, predatory bird.

Got to...vote positive!

Yes, some writers have trademarks, and it's fun to rib on them, but generally speaking, he seems to genuinely care about writing good stories and while he does have favourite characters, he's been treating them with a more even hand lately, as well as giving us more depth to other characters (like Sunstreaker in the -ation series).

But we must admit, he made us like many of his favourite characters. Bludgeon, to me, is a great example of taking a really obscure toy and doing something really interesting with the character.

I think part of the problem lately is editorial, especially shoe-horning in AHM and cutting the -ations off short. The far more subtle, slightly more sci-fi angle was going really well, in my opinion.

- Coeloptera

15. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

I've enjoyed every Furman story I've ever read; especially the "ation" series and the back-story he developed for that series. His passion for Transformers is evident in his work.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Positive. His IDW work was interesting, Generation 1 defining, Beast Wars Nemesis was plain awesome, and his work on the Titan UK comic was great except for the rushed ending to reboot it into RotF.

I know a lot of you guys have not had a chance to read those strips, but the alternate Movieverse was awesome. A different take on Unicron, and Starscream with a Megatron ghost inside his head are just two of the best moments from that 18 month run.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I think Furman's one of the greatest.

18. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Furman? He's well and truly a good writer. Have you read the stuff he does for IDW?! You won't believe the things he can do now! I cannot, will not vote negatively for him. I've got to--vote positively! If you don't like him, you're in for a world of pain! Anyways, time I wasn't here.

Furman=good
    Furmanisms=bad

19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Furman?

He writes some interesting stories and has a way with creating fan-favorites from "I don't remember THAT toy from 1988". But his actual scripting gets sort of caught in the repetitive, and his some of his use of dialogue is just too similar betwixt characters.

I'll say borderline neutral, but voting positive. Good start, but just too redundant at parts.

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    He's considered to be the Stan Lee of Transformers in my opinion.