Furman Blogs on the Arcee Spotlight

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I am open to an explanation of Genders in the IDWverse.

I don't particularly have a problem with Genders in TFs as there are plenty of plausible reasons for it. I am just curious to see what Furman has decided on.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... interested to see what Furman's rationalization is as long as it's actually rational. There's a lot of good reasons for genders in the Transformers Universe and I guess I'm just nervous because I like the IDW-verse, but I know from reading his works a lot (and that he's said it many a time) that he's not really keen on the idea... so I guess I'm just hoping he comes up with something simple yet good as opposed to the nonsensical stupidity from his Marvel UK run on the G1 comic.

4. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Arcee has always been divisive, I guess that's what makes her interesting. I'm sure fan reaction will be much better than Furman expects.

I think people over-estimate the dislike for the character sometimes.

5. nkelsch

Think of it this way... I don't think IDW Arcee can be any worse than EMO-Spider Arcee from that comic when Whellie and Daniel died.

I don't know if people dislike Arcee as much as she overall is simply not as good as some of the other femmes. I think BA and Air Razor got her beat hands down and honestly "WHY DEY FEMMEBOTZ" simply didn't come up as much in BW because they were pretty damn good characters.

I would just like to see an explanation... Right now she is the G1 equivalent of SMURFETTE and we have no real idea why she is basically the only femme around.

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I just have a bad feeling that Furman's gone and changed her into a robo-transvestite.

7. nkelsch

Oh no... I didn't even think of that. That would be pretty horrid.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Truth. Knowing WHO Arcee is is, I think, more important than knowing WHY femmebots exist. And I hope we get that in the Spotlight.

Arcee didn't even get to ever be the main character of an episode in G1, like a lot of other characters did. Being pink is not characterization. I know more about Arcee from the one episode of Animated than I found out in all of G1.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I don't really see the point of explaining such things, honestly.

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing Animated, the IDW verse does nothing for me.

11. urabob

urabob Bienvenido Consumidor

I haven't picked up a TF comic since the Kup spotlight. Arcee is interesting enough for me to trek out to the comic shoppe. I'm curious to see what Furman has cooked up for us. Fingers crossed.

12. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I am curious to see his rationale behind the whole fembot phenomenon. Perhaps it'll finally put some kind of official concrete answer to the ongoing fembot debate that occurs in the fandom from time to time. Surely it can't be anything too silly right?

13. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    * No one complains about Sideswipe and Sunstreaker being "Brothers"
    * No one complains about Primal being the "Descendant" of Prime

If one of the TF writers would just tastfully explain how Transformers have Sex than the whole "Why do they need fembots arguement would dry up. Even though I'm of the opinion that BW already showed how TF reproduce by showing Tigerhawk being a merged spark of his parents.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

* Yeah, but I never thought they were literally brothers, in any sort of familial sense. Just that they shared an extraordinarily close bond, which seems completely plausible after millions of years of war.

* I never thought he was literally descended from Prime, though. If anything, just a spiritual successor chosen by Vector Sigma / Primus / the Oracle.

And Tigerhawk can't really been seen as reproducing--since that implies the creation of more entities, and his creation came at the cost of merging two individuals.

I can't stand femmebots--or more accurately, I can't stand G1 femmebots--because there was never any reason for them. Arcee's complete lack of characterization was just icing on the crappy cake.

BW femmebots, on the other hand, had both characterization and a origin that could be reasonably inferred (assuming organic forms led to assuming the associated sexual traits). That was cool. The only origin I ever read for Arcee that I liked was in fanfic--that "she" was a standard Autobot whose form and characteristics were tweaked for diplomatic reasons once "she" arrived on Earth. Which I think is cool, but hardly canon.

If Furman can give Arcee both an explanation and a personality, I'll be thrilled.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    You and me both.

16. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wont be picking this issue up. Furman's need to keep gender an issue is both boring and silly. Female Transformers exist. Get over it.

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think gendered transformers are silly. I do think the levels of debate (and sometimes, rage) about it are, though. :lol 

18. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I just hope this is something new, and not a redone take rehash of his previous work with new battle reasons, or damage reasons. *bopped on the head* oh no arcut dances in pink and goes by arcee now. >.>

I'm going to pick this issue up for posterity, but I'm more curious about animated fembots. They need toys too.

Thankfully whatever reason this gives though will be IDW verse only, as the marvel one was marvel/UK only. Did dreamwave even touch on it?

19. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

They were on the absolute verge of it before the company collapsed. The final issue of the ongoing series debuted Elita-1 on the very last page, which was supposed to lead into a story arc featuring the fembots. But it was strongly implied that the Quintesson's made them.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've never really seen them as having genders so much as I figured they're just percieved to have genders by races like us, who really do have genders.

I still don't understand why nobody ever takes issue with all the overtly male robots, but scream bloody murder when one shows up that looks like a girl.