Furman Asked to Limit Signings in Artist Alley

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by roguesaint, Apr 22, 2012.

1. roguesaint

roguesaint Reconnaissance Expert

News Credits:
    A buddy of mine just brought this to my attention tonight:

ROAD TO REGENERATION ONE « simon furman

Not the schedule as much as the comment there at the end of his post...

"Please note – at the request of the organizers, I’ll only be signing scripts at my Artist’s Alley pitch, and all other signing stuff will be at the designated autograph sessions."​

I've never been to Botcon before, but I've been to plenty of other Comic Book shows and I've never heard of a creator being asked not to sign other books that people bring with them for autographs, while the creator is in artist alley. Does it seem odd to anyone else that this writer, who is being inducted into the hall of fame for his COMIC CONTRIBUTIONS, and who is going to be in artist alley ALL WEEKEND, has been asked to only sign his other books during the show controlled autograph sessions? If this is the case, why even bother with a booth in artist alley?

I think the previous announcement of Artists in Artists Alley not being able to sell prints was ridiculous, but I can understand the announcement about 3rd party products. This just seems like the show organizers reaching for too much control.

What does everyone else think? Botcon reaching too far here? Or is this standard procedure for the Show?

2. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    man they are just trying to make this botcon suck and piss off the fan's aren't they?

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Don't you have to purchase a wristband separately to be eligible for autographs if you're attending with a General Admission ticket (non-package holders)? Maybe they're doing it so they can sell more of those wristbands instead of simply having General Admission attendees walk up to his Artist Alley table/booth and having a ton of stuff signed.

The primary inconvenience for Primus Package holders and the like is that they'll have to stand in the often-long autograph lines to have comics and other items signed, but one way to look at it is that this way GA ticket-holders won't be getting stuff signed for free (not counting the price of admission) since one of the "perks" of buying a package is that autographs are included in the fee.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

If a signing with Simon Furman is limited, it's a good thing I'm not going to BotCon this year.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Stuff like this makes me want to write off BotCon completely. Any year. I've been to one, and it was fun, but the show is growing and mutating in ways that do not appeal to me.

6. Simes

Simes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For anyone attending Auto Assembly this year and may have concerns with Simon Furman attending, I just want to make it clear that we won't impose any restrictions on our guests other than a 2 item per attendee limit (just to ensure that everyone has a fair chance to get things signed).

We don't have set autograph sessions (we prefer an informal approach where guests spend as much time in the guest area as they feel comfortable) and guests are able to sign anything - items they bring for sale or anything that attendees bring with them. Guests are not allowed to charge for autographs and that applies to pre-registrants or those who come along on the day (although this year is looking likely to be a complete sell-out).

7. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Extremely lame. In BotCon 2006 I just came up to him as he was wandering the dealer room one day and got him to sign my #80.

8. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    What bull shit

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    BotCon does this every year. I think they always ask guests to not sign things outside of their allotted autograph time. I tried getting an autograph from one V/A outside of the line and he said he could not. It kind of sucks.

10. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    I remember the few times that Gregg Berger had a table in the dealer room he would only sign the stuff that he had for sale at his table. Anything else he asked that they go to his autograph session.

11. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    We're on the same page :thumb 

12. roguesaint

News Credits:
    @LemonPrime - I'm not sure about autograph wristband purchases. I bought one of the packages since this is my first Botcon and because I'm local. I can understand autograph wristbands for Creators and Celebrities, but I guess I'm confused why they let him set up in Artist Alley at all then. I thought one of the benefits of being in the alley was so that creators can both sell and sign their own stuff. At least, that's how it seems to work at every other convention I've been to.

13. roguesaint

News Credits:
    SouthtownKid - I don't want to write off the convention completely, I've been wanting to go since I was a kid, and this is the first year I've been able to. I just feel like I'm getting a really bad first impression of this convention.

14. roguesaint

News Credits:
    If I was in the UK, that might be nice...

15. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't have a solid answer for you, but I'm just gonna guess it's because he's Simon Furman. He's not just another writer; it's pretty much Furman and Budiansky as THE guys.

You absolutely ARE getting a bad impression. I've been to 3 BotCons starting in 2009, by all means I'm still just a rookie compared to a lot of guys. However, even I can see just how much this year is going to a drop off from previous years. Don't let it get to you though, BotCon is a fun place to be at. Enjoy yourself.

16. roguesaint

News Credits:
    I guess that makes sense if they are selling wristbands for the autograph sessions. I understand that part of having a table in AA is so that you can sell some of your other merchandise, outside of the Autograph Sessions, but I think you encourage more people to purchase that material when there aren't restrictions on what a person will or won't sign.

17. roguesaint

News Credits:

Your right. It is Furman. I get that. The encouragement about the con is appreciated. A month ago I was beginning to think this was going to be a horrible convention, and announcements and retractions were made and things seemed to get better. Even if I think the restrictions are bogus, I'm hoping they either get thrown out the window or when they play out they are not nearly as ridiculous as they are coming across.

18. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It really sucks just how much negativity is surrounding BotCon this year, but I'd be a fool if I didn't say the convention wasn't going to be a blast. Even with all the restrictions man just enjoy yourself. There's still TOO much stuff to do at these things. The people you'll meet is also more than worthwhile.

19. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    so how many autogragh sessions does he have this weekend ???

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    In other words they are pushing the sales of Autograph wristbands to people that Gen Admin. Another Fun Pub Money Grab.