Funny, Weird, Crazy, ETC. Tales from the Toy Section

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Izzo01, May 12, 2008.

1. Izzo01

Izzo01 Well-Known Member

Just throwing up a post where people can share the funniest, wierdiest scariest, ETC things that have happen to them in the toy section ... anything from fights to finding things you thought you'd never see. Just put it in here for us all to have a good laugh or grimace.

I'll start when I was about 10/11 Power Rangers where in full swing and you couldn't find anything with Primary colors on it anywhere ... I remember wanting a green dragonzord soooo bad I would look at pics of it for days on end. I walk into a TRU and finally see ONE sitting on the shelf I grab it only to have a older guy yank it straight out of my arms and take it to the cashier. Lucky the manager happened to be watching it all on the sec. cam's and he refused to sell the guy the toy and he grabed it and gave it back to me and sold it to me in front of his face. Scary guy though he kept say that he would get it back in the parking lot. Come to think of it I guess that's where my TOTAL dislike of scalpers began.

Post them up ... dosen't have to be a scalper story mine just is cause it's the scariest thing that I could come up with.

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. went to a matinee of that Final Fantasy:Spirits Within turd, and after, went to TRU and this dood who i saw in the theater walked up to me and for 20 minutes obsessed over Final Fantasy. My best friend and WingMan (code name, Prick) walked over and told him, "This is the batman figures, the girly shit is at the other end." and he got me out of the aisle. he told me i was on my own when iwent back to get something i really f-ing wanted, but thankfully, the guy was walking out the door.
    creepy.

2. we used to test how poor the sales at TRU were by marking the toys and checking them every week. With our fingers, we scraped a ton of dust bunnies off those Stan Winston Monster figures they left on the shelf for like 4 months.

Scalpers are scum. Whip out the Tilex and erase their scummy butts!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I don't have a story in particular that I can remember now, but I'm lately amazed by the general "mom with kids" shopping for toys. They never fail to entertain or astonish. Sometimes they are just weary and clearly hate their lives, and buying their horrible f-tard children plastic crack will get them out of their hair for a few fleeting Calgon moments of peace. Good birth control, right there, seeing that - yikes! But they're like zombies - they'll say anything, buy anything, and let their kids walk all over them in public and act like horrible demons, and always take it, just to appease the kids. Bizarre.

But then sometimes you see these moms who also hate their children (funny how that is...) but sort of know what they are doing, and are vaguely familiar with the toys or names, etc. And they always seem like they are too pressed for time to be in a Target or Toysrus too, like it's taking them away from something really important, yet clearly from looking at them you know they COULDN'T POSSIBLY HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO BE DOING, right? And they act like experts on all things toy to sort of push their kids around - I saw a mom once recently argue with her son about which toy was Optimus Prime, and of course she was wrong and I wasn't even sure why she arguing with the child anways, but she was basically pulling the whole "because I said so" routine, and it was really awful. So I stepped in and corrected her, and was a hero to a child that day I'm sure - "wait, maybe mommy isn't that smart after all...?"

But my absolute favorites are the lady-mom scalpers, who may only be scalping for their nerd-husbands who have to work during the day - but you see them, they come in with printed out lists, and burrow through the toys, and look like they all shop at Macy's and you know they think they are "slumming" by even being in a toy aisle. Hoarding the Star Wars stuff at 10 in the morning or whatever. They always look at me like I'm the freak when I'm there, because I'm just some single guy buying a toy because I think they look cool or whatever - but instead it always feels like I'm getting the "Chris Hansen" look. And I watch them pass up stuff that is infinitely of more "value" (I know I know, but we all know some toys ARE worth more money than others on e-bay) to go after the more common, or maybe last weeks "it" item. Passing up variant figures, or repaints, and you know, instead buying up all the Ultimate Bumblebees and trying to sell them for $120 each etc. Awesome.

The only thing better than this, is when I see fellow guys, who are my age, or at least clearly considered too old to be buying toys for themselves right? And they have their kids, and they are hiding behind the kids because they are too ashamed to admit they themselves are plastic junkies, pretending instead that the 2 year old wants the Millenium Falcon Transformer, yeah? But I see through their facade, and I always love the knowing nod other nerds give each other in the toy aisle too. Like oh yeah, ok, I can let the guard down for TWO SECONDS and actually enjoy this in public, before I take it home and put it on my shrine or whatever nerdy things we do with our toys when they come home. The nod, it's always great.

4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I was humored the other day at the local Kmart. Ours is one of the ones with NO staff and stale merchandise.

This particular day I spotted a few Sigma 6 figures left sitting, and none were marked down. I figured I'd ask an associate to price-check them to see if perhaps they missed a clearance markdown, and the closest was in electronics. As it turns out, this yellow-toothed greasy-haired kid is the electronics department supervisor.

At any rate, he price checks the pieces for me. Snake Eyes in arctic gear is still $14.99, Paratrooper Duke is $27.99. I ask him why that would be, as they're over two years old. He replies "They're hot items." I mention the fact that every TRU, W*M, KB, Target, etc. had marked these items down a while back, to which he replies "Yeh, KM is sometimes a week or two behind on those." I roll my eyes and mention that they were marked down before last Christmas...so he fires back "Well they're collectible, duuude." I snort back that they're only collecting dust and leave.

I guess that's more a rant than anything, but also conveys just how much product knowledge the typical retail employee has.

5. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

well it didnt happen to me but i saw it: this one time in wal-mart me and my sister were looking at the bionicles and this little girl who was about two or three walks up with her mom and picks up a ghostrider figure and says "i want this one mommy" the mom looked at her and said "no sorry honey that one is to scary"

6. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Sounds more like he gave you an answer to everything he could to the best of his knowledge, but you kept firing back reason after reason as to why these items should be marked down..

I doubt he has control over what is marked down. Especially if he's the electronics supervisor. At best, he was guessing.

I think he did a nice thing to scan the items for you... it sorta sounded to me like you were haggling for those sigma 6 items to get marked down.. probably another thing he has no control over.

I wouldn't be suprised if your snort before you left turned a helpful employee (to the best of his abilities) into an angry one

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dear Penthouse,

I never would have thought this would happen to me, but...

Sorry... worng forum.

Nothing super intersting on my travels through the toy section. I've met a few board members on my travels and it is nice to talk to names you've only seen on screen. Although I did get a dirty look from a TRU employee when I was buying 2 reissue Soundwaves back in the day (I was buying the extra for someone else... and there were like 4 others still on the shelf) -- just because a grown man is buying a toy does not automatically make him a dirty child hating scalper.

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

You've read too much into my story. I know the store manager well, the supervisor and I were having a casual conversation. My RANT was in regards to the prices, while my humor was in regards to the silly kid who had an excuse for everything.

To that end, I too run a retail business myself, and understand the value of properly training and cross-training employees. Notice my last comment regarded "typical" retail employees. I like to think mine are atypical.

9. ranoobu

News Credits:
    :) 

10. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Words of advice, if you go to TRU, don't wear a red polo shirt and black pants. It happened to me when I was hunting for a clearanced Primus; I've never had so many moms asking me "Do you know where I can find this?"..

11. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

ha i know that one!and i wasnt even wearing clothes that resembled the TRU uniform! i must just have that look about me.

as for stories i cant think of any really but i'm enjoying reading everyone elses

12. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Mannn.... I wasn't even wearing red at TARGET.. I had a polo on and dress pants and they asked me if i worked there

That same visit, someone else approached me with the same question.

Maybe people who dress "business casual" don't shop at target, but work for it at this particular area..

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...A mother actually doing her job. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When classics were in their "Prime" and Jetfire had only been spotted in a couple places, I went to a Wal Mart at around 1 AM looking for him and Grimlock. They were stocking things, but I saw a box of deluxes still unopened. Well, I opened it and grabbed a Grimlock, but anyways... the only voyagers were stacked on the top shelf (the top of the isle where a step ladder is needed). I normall would have climbed a little and got them down myself, but since there were employees walking by, I asked if one could check the ones up there and look for a jet. When she first got up there, she only saw the "Trucks" and the "Guns". I said there could also be a jet, and she kept going through the stack and totally didn't think there could be anything but Prime and Megs after going through a dozen or so. Well, at the bottom of stack (Of course, since it was totally out of my feild of view and didn't allow me to see who was on the side of the box) was Jetfire. She actually was more surprised that I was telling the truth then I was about finding Jetfire.

I also had some guy at the midnight launch of the movie TF toys who kept telling me he had multiples of EVERyTHING G1. He was also excitable and had a "thuggish" way of talking. He asked me if I wanted to buy anything G1. I asked him if he had Fortress Maximus, he said no. I asked him if he had Jetfire, he said no. Besides that, he continued to annoy me until all the toys were finally put on the shelves. Then, when I get to the cashier, she sees the "Try Me" thing on Leader Prime, and of course gets excited and Jams her fingers in there messing with it. I didn't want to kill her, but maybe if the Leader Prime box had a small finger guillotine, I would have been happy.

15. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    This one didn't happen to me, but I have to share it. For those who don't know, Bionicle figures come in waves of six. Well, this kid and his mom came to the aisle and the kid said "Mommy I want this one!" and you know what she said?

"No!! There are SIX of them! SIX is a bad number!"

Parenting at its finest, folks.

16. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Back when I worked the "action zone" of TRU, the Pokemon action figures came out--in particular, the Pikachu one and the Ash figure. I got a call from a customer, a fairly young-sounding lad looking for said Pikachu/Ash figures. I went looking and couldn't find them so I informed him. When I did, he launched into this weird singsongy voice about, "Oh, man, I love PokeMAAANNNNN, cuz it's aniMMMMMEEEEE with PIKACHUuuUUuu" and just really bizarre stuff like that. I couldn't hang up on him--I was actually well-adjusted back then--so I just sat there listening to this weird little man give this happy diatribe about PokeMANNNNNZ in this Muppetlike voice.

Later on, I got to see the kid firsthand--he was eighteen years old.

17. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

Odd. very very odd.

What The Hell.

18. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had so many people ask me where stuff is/ think I work there, heck, if I know, I'll point 'em in the right way, but it does get annoying. Someone in a store who knows what he wants and were it is, must work there, right?

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had people ask if I worked at a store during the winter when I was wearing my coat. Huh? Why would an employee be working in the store wearing a winter coat?

The day the Star Wars Ep3 figures were released, there was a fight between two Hotwheels guys. Everyone else was in the Star Wars aisle looking at the figures being polite and not shoving. Suddenly we hear a crack/crash. Looking out in the main aisle, one the the Hot Wheel guys was flat on his back. THe other one bolted for the door. They was apparently a rare one there and one decided he wanted to commit an assault to have it. A bunch of managers came back and were asking what happened.

Non-toy releated, in a grocery store, I saw a guy open one of those coolers near the registers, take out a bottle of orange juice, open it and drink out of it, then put it back in the cooler and act like nothing was wrong.

20. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been in TRU and actually told the people on the floor where the stock they were looking for was. This lady working there was on the phone and I overheard her talking to someone asking about he reissue soundwave. She was looking through all the transformers and was telling the customer that she didn't see any at the moment. Then I picked one off the shelf and handed it to her and told her it was the one they were asking about.