Funny/Strange Pet Behavior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I've always loved animals, especially dogs and cats, but I'm slightly more of a cat person.

Most people are familiar with the old cat standard, when they kill a small animal of some kind and rather than actually eating it, they drag it up to the main doorstep of your home so that everyone can see it. I always thought that showed a lot of bravado. It's one of the reasons I love cats. All my cats have done that as far back as I can remember.

My current cat Mini, who is an inside cat, displays another funny behavior. She honestly seems to think I don't know who is defecating in the litterbox. Last night I was alseep, and I heard her scratching around in it. Not being completely sure what the noise was, I raised my head and looked at her. From her stooped position in the box, upon meeting eyes with me, she did a strange looking sideways spinning jump out of the box and briskly but calmly walked away, as if to say "nothing to see here, no one's shitting in the box..."

It happens every time I stumble upon her in the box, usually just passing by on my way to the bathroom. She makes some kind of strange gesture and darts away, as if I've just caught her committing a petty crime. I find this incredibly amusing.

Anyone else have pets that have funny quirks or behaviors?

2. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Mostly just suicidal and cannabilistic newts. More morbid than funny.

3. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

hey, was just thinking about this today!
    My wife and I foster for our local animal shelter, and one of the three kittens we're watching has this thing about "suckling" my wife's lips for minutes at a time. She'll just sit there in a trance and suckle away. I think we weaned her too soon. The other two we're watching don't do that though.
    One of the cats we own will hop on your shoulders for a ride on command. She purrs the entire time. She jumped on my pants last night and just hung there. It was hilarious.
    Another cat we have loves "barking"(chattering) at birds. We can get him to do it even if there's nothing out there by just mimicking the noises he makes.
    Our Corgi is weird too. He's stupid, but he can be creepy smart too. Like he sits there and stares at you while you're talking to him. Sorta like he's totally in-tune and listening to what you're saying. He's also pathetically attached to me. If I'm in the garage working on my car he waits by the baby gate by the laundry room waiting for me to come back in, he absolutely HAS to follow me whereever I go, and he likes herding our cats. He does think our foster kittens are his babies though. He'll groom them.

4. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

My cat plays fetch

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    My Rabbit plays soccer!

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Fun fact about cats dragging killed animals to you, IIRC it's basically their way of showing that you're doing it wrong or whatever. Like you need to be hunting and providing.

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

If I scratch my cat on the head, he has some kind of fit because he loves it so much. Last night I started petting him, his legs slid out from under him and he just lay there on the floor eating it up.

8. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

My lizard is going through, uh, puberty I guess you would call it. He grew another inch or so since I got him and he may grow a bit larger. I noticed under his neck he has an orange patch of scales (Meaning he is ready to reproduce) and he has become a bit territorial.

He lets me take him out of his cage but there's one certain spot in the corner behind the log he sleeps in that he gets really pissed if I try to grab him. He doesn't bite he quacks :lol  I've noticed sometimes when he looks at me he starts doing pushups. I think he may know his name too, when I repeat it he cocks his head to the right everytime.

I also have two dogs and one cat. My oldest dog, Tosh, is quiet during the day. Usually sits on the couch and stares off into space or naps. But when it hits 11:00 PM he's more hyper than my youngest dog who is 4 years old. He keeps barking, runs back and forth through the house, constantly needs to be let out to go to the bathroom.

Oh and my cat licks people on the face if you call her. Weirds the shit out of me because it feels like sandpaper lol

9. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    My labrador humped my sister once.

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paging GENOZAUR.

11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I thought it was a form of acceptance?
    Essentially they're bringing you a present.

12. Draeck

Draeck Tanks can bounce

I know my pets have many weird quirks, but a cat I had a few years ago also had a ''bathroom quirk'. He always went outside to do his business, he would make a little hole in the ground and sit over it. But if you were in the garden he would then stop and just stare at you for ages, waiting for you to leave so he could do his stuff privately ^_^ maybe thats normal but my current cat doesnt seem to care.

So did I... one time I actually woke up on my bed and felt something fluffy. When i opened my eyes there was a dead mouse with his guts hanging out in my hand.

>__> Thank you cat.... thank you....

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    My parents' current cat was a barn cat who was taken in by their vet. According to the vet, once she'd gotten the cat to eat kibble, the cat would 'thank her' by bringing her a mouse in exchange for each meal.

My cat Madeline walks on a leash - not as strictly as a dog, but she took to it like she'd been doing it all her life, and she really enjoys going for walks. Yesterday we went out of her comfort zone, across the main road to the city property that slopes down to the river. We stopped at one point so she could check out the bushes in one part, and had a couple of chickadees and some juncos approach to almost arm's reach (mine) in the bush to check us out. Several robins also didn't fly away until we were within 5 feet, but when other people approached they flew away quickly. I think they realized she had no chance of getting them while on the leash. I've also had pine siskins land on me, and approach to peer through the screen door even when Madeline is sitting right there on the inside of the screen.

And yes, cats bringing dead critters is a sign of acceptance - their acceptance that you need to be fed because you're incompetent at hunting and they love you. :D  Except when they're doing it to show off...or as currency....or...

--Moony

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    My dog LOVES me

15. cosmos360

cosmos360 Not a door bell

My dog has never been into female dogs, he's never even humped anything. he'd rather just play with a stick, and if any other dog(male or female)goes near it, he gets angry.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

When our old cat ruckus used to go to the litter, he would scratch evrything around the box but not the litter itself. And at night, he would run up and down the stairs making this wierd, gurgling sound with an occasional short meow.

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    My dog is boring. Nothing to report.

18. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

My one cat scratches on the bathroom door as soon as I turn the shower off in the mornings. When I let her in, she rolls on the slightly damp bathmat for as long as I let her. My other cat occasionally wakes me up with her loud purr for me to let her under the covers. Once I let her under, I can't pet her or else she bites me. But if I don't let her, she bites at my nose.

19. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    My dogs both like to lie on their backs while wriggling around and growling, not sure if this is just something dogs do or if perhaps both are experiencing some sort of seizure, either way it's cute.

Our bigger dog Parker, bijon frise/bulldog mix, loves to give and receive hugs. He'll hop up and put his paws on my stomach and look up at me, if I bend down and hug him he starts wagging his tail just as fast as he can. He also absolutely has to sleep in a room that has someone in it, like he's scared to sleep alone. I think it's because when my mom got him as a puppy he always slept in a puppy crib next to her bed so he's never been use to sleeping alone. He also likes to follow me around everywhere I go and when I would leave for work he'd sit by the dining room window watching me drive off and bark and whimper until he was hoarse. He also has this squeak toy that he loves, he will chase it when you throw it or pick it up at random times and he just walks around and squeaks it nonstop.

The smaller dog Sean, a shihtzu, is deathly afraid of thunder, he has to be close to me during a storm, if I get up and leave he follows me wherever I go. He likes to try to bite people's faces for some reason, or their toes, or fingers, really anything he can get his mouth on. No matter where you are in the house, if he hears you sneeze he comes running to you. He gets fussy at times, he'll try to get into my lap when I'm on the PC or watching TV and he claws at my legs and cries until I pick him up. He gets onto my bed sometimes and crawls under anything on the bed, sheets, clothes, my pillow ANYTHING. He yawns when he's tired, nothing special about that, just sounds cute.

Oh and both dogs are jealous types, you can't pet the other without making the other one come running. The bigger dog is especially jealous, it's like he has spider-sense, he could be dead asleep in another room and he comes running as soon as your fingers touch the smaller dog, though it's probably due to us having Parker for a 1 1/2 years before we got Sean.

20. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    My cat does a lot of hilarious stuff. My favorite is this weird game that he plays a few times a day where he will lay down in my room and then suddenly dart down the hallway through the living room and then furiously rub his paws on the arm of my couch. He has been doing this for a while since I moved into my apartment and if he catches me looking at him while he is doing it he will freeze and stare at me and then run away. Lately I have seen him paw at the top of the arm rest while doing it. Makes me laugh every time.

My cat does this too!