Funny sort of "Buyers Remorse"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by roykop, Sep 25, 2008.

1. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    When I started buying TF's, it was basically when the movie line came out. I wasn't planning on buyint too many, just the ones I really loved from the movie, maybe 6 ot 7 TOTAL. Looking back, or while I was collecting other toy lines, I rememebr seeing all sorts of stuff on the shelves....

Alternators, Classics, a few remaining Cybertron things... none of it interested me... I just wanted a few movie figs.

As time went on, my roomate started picking a few up. So he bought some, I bought others, and when combined, we had a decent looking collection. Then one day, he bought a figure I wanted too... can't remember which one. So we each got one. Them, I started looking back at his set, and there were more that I wanted.... the "completionist" complex bagan to grow.

There was still that 1 walmart a few miles away that still had leftover Alts and Classics, so I got Alt. Prime and Classics Grimlock.

Needless to say, by NOW I own almost 1 of everything movie related scout size and up (ebay is an evil temptress)... I have all the classics figures deluxe and up (except for 2 I'm still waiting for)... 5 Alternators, 3 Titaniums, 2 Masterpieces, ALL g1 looking Robot Hereos, a few customized figures, Supreme Cybertron Starscream, All the Universe line (still wont buy legends class), and the Animated line... and there seems to be no end in sight with all the cool things they have been previewing lately!

EDIT: I forgot to mention.. i DO have 4 legends class figured i received as gifts)

Fortunately, I seem to have a moderate amount of self control when it comes to repaints. If the repaint is a new character (Skywarp/Starscream).. I have a hard time saying no. Lockdown and Blazing Lockdown... I can resist a little better.

Does it ever end???

Anyone else have a similar story?

2. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    My story in short goes like this

I see a TF show called BW, start to watch, buy cheetor

then comes BM, get excited about cars being TFs again, buy Mirage and Scavenger

RID comes along and I buy all cars and Trains from the line, and Ruination oh and Spychangers

Armada hits but Alts have got my attention by then so I don't buy Armada.

I continue only buying all alts as soon as they hit the shelves. At the time my wallet said only alts not enough to buy Armada

Energon starts looking kind of good but still not buying.

Cybertron same thing, no buy but watch a fews episodes

Classics got me hooked and alts were dying out anyway

Tried to only buy Classics I liked but went back and bought all of them

Botcon announces the worst thing ever "We make Thundercracker, screw you fans" This began my customizing career which I love now

After making my own Nemesis and Thundercracker from the target 2-pack or UM vs SW, I started doing Alt customs.

Finally my alt customizing is almost over and my need to go back and buy from Armada/Energon/Cybertron to make more Classics is here

That being said I am into Animated a bit but I will now keep my focus on buying and customizing Classics

WARNING!!! Shameless plug - check my sig for the Custom Alt I'm selling

3. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Yeah, for a time it was only Binaltechs, although at times I'd get the occasional mainline figure to test out articulation and how much technology came to from the previous line.

And then one summer I went crazy with at least 5 different Megatrons\BW leaders and so on. Then [thankfully] about 4 cybertron figures. Classics came by and I got almost the entire collection.

I was pretty modest with the movie collection, getting only the main cast autobots and few decepticons. Then got Henkei Grimlock and Hot Rod and decided to switch to Henkei.

Also got Lockdown just to check out animated and ended up with all three dinobots, all elite guard figures and a handful of decepticons. And I'm planning on getting the main autobot team.

Thankfully I'm unloading figures just as fast as getting them, but it's getting ridiculous quite fast. Now I'm a henkei completist, somewhat large animated fan AND get the occasional masterpiece.

And that's before you measure in my Hot Toys movie figures addiction.

4. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started with the end of classics, beginning of movie line. Im a classics completist as this is my favorite line. I only bought the toys that were in the movie, and passed on Animated. I understand your feeling as that is how I am with Classics/Universe/Henkei. But the Masterpiece line is starting to call me.

5. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto. It is easy to get sucked up into buying from the junkyard here and buying and repainting old figures.

But for me I just recently became a completest with animated main line. I avoid activators and battle bumpers.

6. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i know what the OP means, it really starts that way, buying a few figs from one line, than bam! you wont stop till you complete that line. thats how it was for me when i got addicted to the alt line, i just can't stop till i completed them. same goes for classics and animated.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always get more stuff than i "need", mainly because I don't impose any rules (such as "No Repaints" or "only collect this line"), but I'm not a completist in any sense either. I got off that kick back during Beast Wars. I was buying two of everything and came to the revelation which said "why the hell am I wasting money buying these terrible Fuzors that I can't stand?" I still buy too much of course, but at least now I don't buy anything I know I won't like. Sadly I have let myself be talked into purchases by positive raving on this board, and the "it's better than it looks" message never holds up for me, like Movie Starscream and Animated Oil Slick.

8. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Exactly how i got in this situation now... it always starts with a few.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Haha, sure it does...when you have no money left :D 

10. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The year I got out of the army (2005) I started collecting. In less then 2 years I spent more money then god, kicked my ebay addiction (serious I was addicted) and finnaly got myself under control.

Only a couple G1's i don't own, excluding AM's and most Pretenders, and well, if you've see my collection thread, most of everything else that's out there i grabbed.

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I was avoiding being a completist when I started heavily buying TF's again, and at first I said I was only going to buy some Autobots, and then maybe some Decepticon jets too, and it ended up being everything.

12. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    while i watched some of the new /old TF shows and thn saw the toys i passed till the classics line came out and i was hooked agin. one good thing is im only hook on the classics/universe toys and i only buy the redos of the G1 charters. so i dont have it that bad yet lol.

13. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

LOL... look at my sig. :D 

With Animated, the first one that I've bought was Bumblebee... and that was because my 2 year old son wanted it.

After that... it's a blur... I just know that I have a nice Animated collection. Earlier this week I got Swoop. Today I got Ultra Magnus! :D 

The Movie and Alternators weren't that interesting for me, so I passed on those. I have a couple of Classics.

It doesn't really end. For me, it's just pauses. I see a pause coming soon (probably after Shockwave) for my Animated collection which will probably pick up after Season 3 comes out with more figures to get.

I only have a couple of lines that have ended. G1, Beast Wars, Armada trilogy. He-man, MASK, Super Powers, GiJoe Original.

The lines that I'm still buying is Animated and GiJoe 25th. :D 

If I'm ever done with Transformers... I would probably just end up collecting something else... I think collecting is almost never-ending.

14. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

collecting tf will never stop for me. First i started off buying some movie jazz figures and then bought almost all of movie. Then with animated i bought jazz and soundwave. Was fine then i saw blitzwing and bought all of them. Then i wanted some alts so i started on those. Since i had nothing else to buy in stores and i wanted transformers i got universe and now gonna buy classics.

15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Hope you don't like Mini-Cons!

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

The first two toys that I bought were from the Cybetron series... Cybertron Primus, which I definitely had to have, and I believe it was a Deluxe Class Optimus Prime, 'cause it was a small figure of him and not the big Galaxy Force one (which I got a year or so later).

Then I went practically hog-wild on the 07 Movie toys. Bought almost every single one that came out that I could get my hands on... at least those that I really want. In between, I bought a couple more of the Cybertron toys, started on the Classics, and the remaining Titanium and Alternators that the stores had... except for one that I regretted not getting, Alternator Optimus Prime.

I've yet to get started on buying the Animated toys, and I wish that things weren't so bad economy-wise where I live, so I could actually buy more TFs to fuel my need to have a collection that's bigger than my brother's... which, as far as I know, he has almost every single Classics toy that came out, and he has a good number of the original toys from the 80s.

For a girl who practically grew up with TFs, just because her big bro was into them, how could I have become so addicted to TFs that my life's practically ruled by Robots in Disguise?

17. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started off similarly... The first thing that got me "back on track" was when my mom finally got that Hot Rod I had been begging for since I was a kid. Not understanding the distribution of toys back then, I asked for Hot Rod for Christmas every year for years. Then, probably five years ago, I opened not only a G1 Hot Rod for Xmas, but Prime and HR rereleases as well! This forced me to go and find what was left of my old collection (you'd all shed a tear if you knew how much was gone).
    Some time passed but I managed to miss the entire Alternators line... (I was in a band, which cost so much money I wasn't even thinking about TFs). Bummer. Anyways, I ordered Classics Starscream and Rodimus from Amazon a couple of years ago and the sleeping giant awoke.
    Then the movie line hit... I picked up Robovision Prime. That was it, I was done for. I was sneaking out buying TFs; embarrassed about my new addiction. All day long I thought about the ones I didn't have. My favorite part of the week was opening a new TF.
    Here I am today with a near complete movie line, complete Classics line, a complete Animated line, a closet full of Cybertron toys, and a small but respectable G1 collection. Not to mention my "pile of loot" keeps growing and I can't get myself to ship it yet because I don't feel like I've quite "earned it yet." Even though it's paid for... go figure.

I will say that seibertron.com and tfw2005.com probably fueled this addiction more than anything else. For Seibertron, it allowed me to browse their excellent photo collection, bringing me back to my childhood and also opening the doors to everything I missed out on these past many years. For TFW, the community was awesome, and I love hanging out on the message boards. Seriously, you guys are some of the best people on any of the message boards on the internet. Sometimes the Movie discussion gets rowdy and rude, but I stick to Toys, Sightings, and Feedback :thumbs2: 
    I mean let's be honest... would I have bought the entire Animated line with such determination had I not been teased with those toys for almost a year in advance? Watching the new toys get unveiled is now one of my favorite activities... This online community is what keeps my collection growing. If not for you, who else would understand what I'm going through? (Besides my girlfriend, who doesn't seem to mind one bit)
    Now to patiently wait for that Shockwave to hit retail... or perhaps the new Cyclonus will accompany my dreams..

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yep, it all started with last year's movie for me.

And no, I don't like Minicons. Plus, I'm not such a completist that I'll buy G1 Ironhide/Ratchet or Wheelie.

A lot of what I buy now is also for customs.

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I used to buy all and all. These days its only G1 and only US G1.

20. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Young crowd in this thread, so many got hooked by the movie, which is great to hear.