Funny People

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by G1Wheeljack, Aug 2, 2009.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread for this, so I guess I'll start one up. I went into this movie with average hopes but ultimately left dissapointed. From the previews it seemed that the director had taken a step away from his typical brand of humor, and for the most part he did. However, there were parts of his humor interjected into the movie, which I really feel didn't work and were put in for no reason, particuarly every character throwing around the f-word as much as possible. Then again, I'm not fond of Apatow's humor in the first place, so take that for what you will. Plot was an interesting idea, but the movie moved too slow for me and I feel that a good 30 min could be cut out and the film would have been better. There are a few Funny jokes here & there, usually provided by Mr.Sandler himself, and hell, Seth Rogen was pretty good compared to what I thought of him in Observe & Report. Overall, I can really only reccomend this film to those who like Mr.Apatow's previous work or if you want to see a raunchy chick flick.

So, what do you think of "Funny People"?

2. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that the movie's nearly 2 1/2-hours long.

We'll see how long Apatow's hot streak lasts (remember the Farrelly Brothers?)

3. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I love Apatow movies, and I liked this one. It wasn't as good as Knocked Up, but it was still good. I don't agree with you calling it a "raunchy chick flick". It really wasn't that raunchy, the language was pretty bad, but not "raunchy". And it did have a love story in it, but it was hardly what would be considered a "chick flick".

I think, like most Apatow movies, the supporting characters are the ones that carried the film. Jonah Hill, Jason Schwartzman and Eric Bana were the ones that stole the show for me. Sandler and Rogen did a great job as well, and I've always thought that Leslie Mann was hilarious, although she's funnier as the "bitchy" character.

4. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I was disappionted with it. Don't get me wrong, there were scenes where I laughed my ass off. I thought the stand-up scenes were very well done and probably very fun for guys like Sandler and Rogen to get back from their roots. I loved how Bana was trying to explain the rules of Australian Rules Football, which is a nice companion piece to a Robin Williams stand-up bit about... trying to explain the rules of Australian Rules Football.

I thought the romance was a little forced and I would have liked it a little more if the focus had been on Sandler trying to teach this new generation of comic hopefuls the ropes.

There was a good story in there but I think it missed the target.

Oh, and the Janine Garafaolo-esque comic was a cutie :D