Fundraising Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deceptikitty, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

So recently I've been wanting to do something good. I have a big KitchenAid mixer, a willing group of lab rats, and a charity I want to give to. I want to raise money for my local Humane Society. How? Gourmet Dog Biscuits. Feel free to laugh.. but I was wondering how I could get this to work. I believe you can donate a % of an ebay purchase towards a charity, so I thought about putting some on ebay. Can you ship.. well, food items on ebay? It'd be 100% towards the charity, for sure. I was also thinking of finding a store who would be willing to carry the treats in a plastic box or something and accept cash donations (I'd tell the Humane Society beforehand, so they wouldn't think I was a scam artist). Big box stores probably wouldn't fly with that, right? Or is it worth talking to them? I'm thinking I'd talk to local, smaller pet stores/groomers. What do you think is a reasonable price for a donation for a pretty decent-sized bag of treats? $5?

Sorry if this seems weird, I just thought I'd ask for some advice. It's a project I've been playing with for some time.

2. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Well-Known Member

Play "will it blend" with some hamsters. Then play fear factor.

3. Deceptikitty

No hamster treats :( 

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    You can donate 10-100 of all auctions to some charities and Ebay allows food items as long as there is a expiration date(un-needed on fresh).
    As far as shipping them goes i believe as long as it's not liquid or hazardous is it fine.

On a side note,

Try selling them to the small pet and feed stores like Pet Adventure.

P.S.

Send some to my dogs for science.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    $5 for a bag of "gourmet" dog treats is a fantastic price for a decent sized bag (I'm thinking ziplock bag size here)

Also, see if you can find any recipes to make them wheat-free, as that's a selling point for many owners.

You may have to limit your shipping to the US, however. Getting food products across the border is often tricky.

6. Deceptikitty

I'm glad you think the price is great - yeah, about ziplock size. Probably larger. I'm planning on buying decorated plastic bags and tying them with a card that'll say the ingredients and how 100% is going to the humane society. I have most of the materials I need to make them at home, so shipping will probably be the most expensive part of the operation.

Wheat-free is a great idea! I'm definitely doing that. I also read a recipe for some alternative low-sugar frostings (using yogurt) compared to white chocolate.

I'm considering making some test cookies during April after I come home from my spring break trip. I'll offer samples to those who want to let their doggies try them!

I'll also talk to some local businesses about selling them, there's a couple local groomers/daycare/vet offices I think I could have a chance at selling them there.

Thanks for the help, guys :) 

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You could give the some of the packaged treats to the Humane Society for them to sell, too.

And if you could figure out a way, do some grain-free treats, too. Owners of dogs with allergies have a hard time finding treats. You could probably do something with a dehydrator or a very low temp oven for them.

--Moony

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Awesome idea! Let me know when you get going on it, I know several people with dogs who would be more than happy to help out a charity by buying treats directly from you if you wanted to go that route. :) 

And of course if you decide to branch out and make kitty treats I'd definitely get some from you. It would keep that fatass Butters from eating all my Walmart plastic sacks! :lol 

9. Deceptikitty

I'll definitely be asking the Humane Society if they'd be willing to have the treats there and collect all the money there. I'm planning on making a cute little plastic box display for them. I'd just love to go to the smaller pet stores and local groomers/boarders and have them bring some cash in too.

I'd love to have something cat-themed too, so I'll have to figure out a cat treat recipe :lol  I got this whole idea from a vet office selling dog collar bandanas for a low cost spay and neuter program.. I just pondered what I was good at (definitely not sewing) and came to this silly conclusion...

Grain-free is a great idea too. With a new puppy I've learned all about what's really in pet food, so some nice wholesome and healthy treats would be a nice change!

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Don't have much experience with this but I wish you the best of luck :) 

I'm in talks with my Anthropology teacher about doing a fundraiser so our class can visit the American Museum of Natural History at the end of the year. Hope it pulls through.

11. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    There are a lot of recipes online, for both cats and dogs, but more for dogs. I'd love it if I could find good grain-free cat treats that aren't expensive as hell, too.

--Moony