FunctionVerse Spin Off Comic

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by CaptainZombieLL, Aug 15, 2017.

1. CaptainZombieLL

CaptainZombieLL Random Humongous Phaggot

How likely would you guys say it is for IDW to do a spin off comic based in the functionist universe showing Megatron leading the Anti-Vocationist League and perhaps dealing with sects of the league going rogue and using more violent methods, it could compare these rogue AVL sects with the early Decepticons, it would also put spotlight on the Functionist Orion Pax

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Very unlikely given its possible sale numbers - not bigger than the average LL sales and possibly being even lower.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CaptainZombieLL

• Like Like x 3
  4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'm not sure why do you even asking for opinions if you don't like the answer.

Comic books aren't financed by crossed fingers and good wishes.

Like it or not, IDW's not running a charity.

A comic book which is focusing only on a part of current Lost Light run is bound to start with current LL reader's base and then substract from it. Functionist Universe is a premise understandable only to readers who were following MTME run for long enough. Not even all current readers might care about this particular aspect, so...

If it may or may not look profitable enough for a publisher, it won't be made.

Throwing fits won't change it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. CaptainZombieLL

Yeah I get that, I was making a joke

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    So.... basically Shattered Glass but without the inverted colors?

I've had this idea before and the only thing I can see being a unique twist is certain bots and cons defying faction expectations. For example Soundwave is on the Functionist side while Blaster is on the AVL side. That's all I can see that would make this sort of conflict stand out.

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The chances of us seeing IDW Megatron again are sadly through the roof.
    The chances of seeing a comic of his Functionverse adventures are rather slimmer.

8. CaptainZombieLL

Sadly through the roof? Do you not like what IDW did with Megatron?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I liked it at first. With the Megatron Origin story and Roberts's flashbacks. And i enjoyed the Elegant Chaos storyline, but i think the whole redemption thing is forced. And i would prefer him to dissapear for a while so the focus can be put on lesser known characters. MTMTE season two was very Megatron heavy.
    I hope he can stay absent for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

And I was overreacting. My bad.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CaptainZombieLL

Yeah Season 2 was a bit overly Megatron, but I do really like what they did with him and his execution of the DJD was fucking awesome

• Like Like x 2
  12. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I did enjoy some parts of the finale. The DJD was the running theme of the entire MTMTE run after all. But i must confess that i mainly enjoyed the intetactions with the newcomers:
    Overlord's interactions with and taunting of Tarn. Deathsaurus struggling to assert himself against Tarn to save his men and Nickel shaking him out of his funk and calling for a retreat. But i'm appreciating Megatron's showdown with the DJD more than i did at a first read.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Let's shore up the main books before we worry about spin offs. There's pretty much no chance of something like this.

14. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Maybe a miniseries?

They'd have to title it something like "MEGATRON" though, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't know if it is likely, but I would read it. Why doesn't Nick Roche have his own book? And imagine Markerguru doing the art!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

The world isn't ready for this good of a comic book, not yet

• Like Like x 3
  17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    We will fight and prevail. So that our children one day will be able to live in a world where comics are great again! The combined goodness of Nick Roche and Alex Milne.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Well, let's put them on a mainline TF book, then, and not one cloistered in an alternate reality that takes a paragraph of text to explain.

I love how enthusiastic most of the fans are here... but a lot of you guys don't seem to really realize the hard reality most comics exist in. If you are going to have wacky, What if things or continuations of niche things or alternate reality type stuff, it needs to be killer, with a succinct pitch and a helluva hook. You could prolly get away with MEGATRON, the mini, with his story of being stuck there and struggling to come back... but anything else beyond that?

This is like when people want stuff like Deviations with just kind of fanfic ideas. It needs to be an easy through line that casual fans get. "What if Optimus Prime didn't die in the animated movie" (even if it wasn't executed so well) is vastly more salable than "What if Nova Prime didn't travel to the Benzuli Expanse" or whatever.

Even tho' a lot of us don't like it, from a publishing side, the Hasbro shared universe makes a ton of sense. "Hey, thirty-something! Remember all of your old favorite toy franchises? They all exist together now in one big sandbox! Party!" They love big ideas like that, and hope they'll draw people in. You and I may want "Spotlight: That one guy who looks sort of like Grapple in the background of More Than Meets the Eye," or "The Return of Bomber Bill" but like no one else does. That's the sort of thing comic store owners would just skip over when they scan thru Previews.

• Like Like x 1
  19. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Roche, but I've always wondered if he's capable of doing a regular monthly title and keeping it on schedule. I think there's a reason he typically does one-shots, fill-ins, or miniseries. He's an excellent artist, but I don't think he's necessarily able to keep up a monthly schedule. I always found it weird how LSOTW needed Guidi to fill in for parts of issues 3 and 4.

20. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I really want those two to collaborate on something! I feel like if they switched off on the art, they could put out a pretty damn great ongoing together, maybe with Barber to help with ideas or something. Milne and Roche brought me back into the franchise and now that neither is working on anything for IDW I can feel my interest waning by the second.