Fun with Old Saves and PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 3, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So last night I was really in the mood to play some old games. I played FF7 (mainly because of Crisis Core, Shadow of the Colossus, and FFIV). Obviously if you want to start an RPG over again, you have to go through all the leveling and BS, so you don't always end up going through the whole game.

But since the PS3 allows you to make memory cards for PS1 and PS2, I went online and found out that Gamefaq has saves for a crapload of PS1 and PS2 games. I even found one that starts you off on FF7 fully maxxed (I beat the game in 1997 so I don't feel guilty cheating just to experience it again without the hassle of leveling). But on the subject of cheating, I did find one save that I have to admit was a cheat for me. I was never able to fully unlock all of the extra weapons on Shadow of Collossus, and I found a save that starts you off with every weapon (and white Argos). It breathed new life into the game having a harpoon instead of a bow and arrow.

Basically, if anyone is interested, you are looking for a game save file with the .PSV extension. Once you find it, you copy it to your flash drive and create a folders set starting with PS3/EXPORT/PSV and then put the file in the PSV folder. The folders have to be in CAPS. When you plug it up to your PS3, go to the memory card area, find your flash drive, click on it and you'll see the saves, then you can copy them to whatever memory card you want.

I also found a beefed up FF12 save that I want to try. I want to replay that game without some of the grinding I did.

What I really want is a Dragon Quest VIII save.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Holy shit, this is awesome XD

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Hmm, I'll have to check that out. I was trying to find old PS2 saves, but they didn't seem to work for me.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Thats pretty cool

5. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

PS3, here I come!

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Could never get it to work right, I'm pretty sure I wasn't using all caps for my folders.

I'm gonna have to try it out again since I recently got MvsC2 on the very cheap and really don't want to play that much solo to unlock everything.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Too cool

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have to have the PSV extention, not max or CBS. And when moved from your flash drive, you have to have that folder order for the PS3 to recognize it, but you can put multiple saves in that one folder, so PS3>EXPORT>PSV (Files)... some of the downloads in gamefaq already come zipped in the right folders. If you guys want the save for FF7 starting INSANE with every character at 99 with everything unlocked, let me know and I'll email it to you. I also have a really good one for shadow of Colossus, like I said.

Edit... when checking gamefaq, go to the game, then hit the "saves" tab and then go down the list... they have a section for PSV PS3 saves, but not all games have them

If anyone finds a Dragon Quest 8 PSV, let me know.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I still have a max drive and PS2 (PS3 won't read the max drive disc), so if anyone here wants a couple PS2 saves that are posted online converted the the PSV format, I can do it. Just make sure the save you want converted is in .max, .xps, or .sps format, and link me to it. I'll convert it and put it online for you when I have the time to do so.

I can't do PS1 saves right now, as my dex drive is being retarded. it's a finicky piece of crap hardware. if that ever changes, I'll make a note of it.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Valkysas, you are a beautiful person. I'm sending you a PM with my email. If you don't mind converting this Max file for me.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/save/dragon_quest_viii_e.max

Again, you are AWESOME, man.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i've been doing this since i got my ps3!

i probably should have told someone about it though.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What....a.....jerk :D 

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oooh. That sounds very tempting to replay through some old FF stuff that I want to revisit.

Thanks for the tip man! I may have to give this a shot!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem. I sent Trailbreaker77 a link for Colossus, but here are some of the more interesting ones.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/save/final_fantasy_vii_a.zip

Start FF7 at level 99 with absolutely everything. Even the characters that join later will be maxed. Fun way to relive the story without having to grind for levels or money.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/save/shadow_of_the_colossus_a.zip

This is Shadow of the Colossus with every item unlocked. After you start the game, load the normal game for all items based on the normal difficulty, and load the Hard game for all of the items for the hard difficulty. They are different items. But it starts you at the beginning in both cases.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/save/final_fantasy_xii.zip

This one is a decent way to start FF12, with all items, a good amount of license points and some money.

The web site also has saves for PSP (but those are universal, so whatever you find and download, you simply put in your Saved Game folder and load it up). They have a good one for Crisis Core (Start at the beginning at max level with insane money and items, but I haven't beat that game, so I'm not ready for a major cheat like that)

Be careful to start new memory cards on your PS3 before you copy stuff over, so you don't save over your previous gave if you are still working on it.

And also remember, when you copy these over, they have to be in PS3>EXPORT>PSV (All caps).

Thanks to Valk for copying some of the max files too.