Fun with Cartography! Subject? Middle-Earth (& Narnia)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xabungle, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

A while back, I got the idea to obtain a map of Middle-Earth to hang on my wall. Though I've long been a fan of Tolkien's work, I had no idea of the enormity of my quest... and the decisions and dangers the journey would be filled with.

Ok, not really, but I HAD forgotten that there are a TON of maps of Middle-Earth.
    To start, Middle-Earth - much like our own world - has changed over the Ages. These changes are explained in-universe. Where there were mountains in the First Age, there might be seas in the Third Age.
    Second, Middle-Earth's shape changed as Tolkien's life progressed. Maps he drew early on in the creative process differ from maps drawn much later in his life. To be clear, these changes are not in-universe, and generally less dramatic.
    There are two smaller considerations. One is the artist who draws the map. For example, the work of Pauline Baynes is quite different than the maps included in past editions of the books. See her interpretation of the map here. As it happens, Baynes also produced a similar map for Tolkien's friend C.S. Lewis - seen here - of a magical land named Narnia. Lastly, there is the issue of the movies. With the success of the Peter Jackson movies, there is an abundance of merchandise related to the New Line films, including maps. Almost all poster maps of Middle-Earth sold online are movie merchandise. And in my opinion, almost all of those maps are at least a little ugly.

With all these maps, I'm a little confused. Does anyone know of a good resource I could consult?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I honestly can't answer your question, but if you're out to prove that Narnia exists, I'm totally behind you.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd rather have a map of the Flanaess on my wall.