Heavy/Scratch: Fun with 3D printing WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Quaternion, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Quaternion

Quaternion Gimbal Lock Resistant

I have a Makerbot Replicator 5th Generation 3D Printer and I pretty much entirely use it to print things for my transformers. So, I just wanted to share some of the things I have been working on recently. These are all pretty much unpainted WIP prototypes so I haven't really cleaned the prints up much. Contrary to popular belief, 3D printing is not magic :) 

A tank for headmasters and fort max. Canopy opens like the ship does (i used the same design, cut off the tail fin, and added tank treads) and has an articulated turret.
    [​IMG]
    peekaboo!
    [​IMG]

Headmaster ship: blasters![​IMG]

and with fort max:
    [​IMG]

Female Headmaster: No females on planet master yet? I made one. Somehow it looks a lot better in person.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An adapter for the titans return headmasters to use Generations Brainstorm's Transtector:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lost one of CW Shockwaves feet so I made new ones:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A gun and a wrench for Generations Gears
    [​IMG]

Titans Return sized Headmaster Quaternion:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a spaceship for Headmasters:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fix for my CW Menasor's shoulders so they would stop coming apart everytime I moved his arm. Basically it is a new wind vane thingy with a post in it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheelie's Slingshot. The band is actually one of my daughter's hair ties.
    [​IMG]

A gatling gun for springer:[​IMG]

***update***
    Titan master faces - cerebros. I bought the Hasbro non sdcc version and i was thinking of making cannon fodder headmasters out of the hasbro looking face.
    [​IMG]

TFTM Arcee - I have always hated the face and hands with this mold. So I did my own versions. I don't consider this Arcee but I haven't named the new character as of yet. I took off the chest plate thingy because it does just come off and it makes her look a little more proportional to her new head, I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windblade heels - I was heavily inspired by this design: Generations Windblade - Upgraded Heel Spurs (GMWTBB4FF) by JohnBonhamatron
    My print got a little melty at the end so i still need to sand them down.
    [​IMG]
    Comments and suggestions welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. 2Sixshot

2Sixshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like the gun for springer also thats smart about the CW Menasor

3. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Yeah. I'm impressed with the gatling gun too. I'm curious how you got the cylinders to turn out so well.

4. Quaternion

i think that gatling gun was one of the first things i printed last year after I got my printer. If I recall correctly I got the base model from turbosquid but I had to make alot of simplifications and changes to it in order to get it to be printable durabale and so that springer could actually hold it.

I didnt change the gun barrels much though. the parts that he actually holds was designed in tinkercad or maybe I was using blender back then. not sure.

i printed it just laying down in a similar pose to how you see it because that was the only way i could get it to fit as one piece on the printer.

i could get it to look better it i printed it in multiple pieces but I'm relatively happy with it as it is.

5. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Any chance of putting these up on Shapeways? They look pretty good.

6. Quaternion

Thanks. They would look even better if Shapeways printed them since their prints generally look cleaner than Makerbot.

I have considered doing Shapeways but I suspect I'd have to do a lot of test draft prints through them, which I assume takes a good amount of time and money. I might do it if I knew there was enough demand for something.

Anyone that has a Shapeways store is welcome to chime in here since I don't have any experience with them.

7. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not me, but I'm sure that the shoulder locks and Titan Master spacecraft would be fine.

8. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Damn...How can I get a copy of that ship?

9. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    If you lightly sanded the plastic, would it remoce the lines/bumps? If so, would you then paint your creations (such as faces, big guns, etc), or keep them as-is?

10. Quaternion

Thanks. That is an original design with a little inspiration from the G1 cybertronian seekers. Currently, all i do is design them in Tinkercad and print them off on my own printer. Perhaps if I ever get around to making a shapeways store.

sanding: yes you can smooth it out but its hard with faces and things with small, sharp details since the details can get dulled. generally if i print at a higher resolution, the lines get smaller and are easier to sand down. but it is a good bit of work to do that.

The headmaster is extra screwy looking since the filament I was using was kinda dusty at the time. later i fixed it and printed the ship, which is one reason why it is alot cleaner looking. but also, some times really small things are hard to print. i'm still experimenting with it but my goal is to make a whole bunch of headmasters to populate fort max and metroplex etc.

painting: yes and also I can print in different colors. The ship I am planning to print in some Fort Maxish colors because I want to make a small army of them to be docked on TR Fort Max.

11. SmokedToast

SmokedToast Well-Known Member

That adaptor for brainstorm is pure genius dude! Would it be possible to make a similar adaptor for ball joints and ball joint slots like the standard size for deluxes?

12. OpConvoy27

OpConvoy27 Active Member

Your Springer Looks really good. Did you repaint it yourself - if not which version issit?

13. Quaternion

Perhaps. But since those are not standardized as far as i know, you'd have to do it on a figure by figure basis.

That is Generations Springer - AWESOME figure btw. I'm pretty sure that is the stock paint job. I don't recall making any changes to it.

14. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Nice. You know, went not make a generic Headmaster figure of your own design, and then make different faceplates for them? If you use different colours for the breakwaters (or just black) and silver/grey/white for the faces, you clips mic and match them!

Another idea could be to make similar figures of your own design, but instead of a head, you could make either flip out guns and a handle (targetmaster) or an engine block instead of a face (Powermaster).

15. Quaternion

That is kind of what I am doing with the headmasters. I have a bunch of other faces I have designed I just haven't photographed them yet. more to come!

I hadn't thought of doing powermasters and targetmasters but i like that idea!

16. Quaternion

I added some more new prints at the bottom of the first post. Yay!

17. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

you a tease man!!! lol No seriously, some great work!
    We gotta get you a way to get that Headmaster ship mass produced, it is very, very slick. I've said it before, I'd love to get my hands on one.

18. The Last Prime

The Last Prime Nope

Very nice! I want that headmaster ship!!!

19. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also that mold is another one of those interesting Movie 1 figures that could easily work in CHUG as long as you replace the head and maybe hands/feet... so nice idea. TFCC made two fembots using the Energon and then PRID BH Arcee mold... could repurpose this Arcee as either Flamewar or Flareup. The former has a lot of black in her deco, with some red, probably easier to repurpose.

20. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

love that Wheelie slingshot:thumb