Fun Store Experiences

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, May 27, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Whether they're good or bad, have you ever had an interesting experience at a store while buying/browsing the Transformers?

The other day, the cashier, going out of his way to be friendly to a customer, said to me, "Oh, Transformers... I like...what's his name, the jet." "Starscream?" "Yeah, Starscream! He's real cool". Just that brief interaction was a really nice change of pace.

Anyways, store stories? Good or bad? Juicier than mine, preferably? Anyone?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I was returning my deluxe Crankcase, he had formed a crack on one of his joints, his hip was loose, and I decided to save my money and wait until I can find one with claws.
    The person in customer services who refunded my money turned out to be pretty familiar with tranformers, he and I ended up holding the line up for a few minutes as we talked about them. It was cool. He reckognized me as a collector, not an immature kid who still plays with toys. It was a good confidence boost.

3. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Stig's Asian Cousin

News Credits:
    This was in 2007. So I was at toys r us looking for toys as usual and this lady walks up to me and asks "which one looks cooler, this one or this one?" I answered pointing to bonecrusher "this one has an arm on its roof and turns into a robot which long arms" she looks at me and then I realize it was my aunt:eek: 

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I was purchasing WFC, and the guy who was getting it out of the case began saying he read good reviews about it. I agreed, then he said something about it not having Multi-player. I was kinda dissapointed, but it was a good expirience.

5. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Not a fun experience but I went to TRU knowing that there was supposedly 3 cases of classics. The fukker came out with 5 figures. I suspect the Mgr is an insider: helping either himself or friends?!

I informed the Mgr. that according to another rep from TRU shows in their inventory of 3 cases. No wonder the douchebag looked at me disgruntly!!

6. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

This happened while I was still in elementary school but I remember it like yesterday: I go with my father too a TRU and he tells me that I can pick "one" toy, so naturally I start looking for something expensive since he didn't give me a price range (or just forgot). Anyways as I go too the tf section an employee comes up to me and hands me a "Leader energon galvatron". the employee starts telling me all about the character and his abilities (In retrospect I know see he was a tf fan) and since I was a kid I just stood there in awe thinking Galvatron was a god. So my dad finds me in the section and sees the employee talking too me and my dad says "You just had too give him the most expensive thing on the shelf" (in a jokingly way). the employee responded with " Well how else do you think we/re gonna sell these things?"

7. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    At Target I was buying several figures - like 2 or 3 voyagers and 2 or 3 deluxes (I think from the first movie?) all at once and the cashier says "Wow someone's a lucky kid!" to which my wife replied "These are for him, he's the kid!" (she LOVES to try to embarrass me but I just shrug it off)

Actually I think that scene has happened more times than I can recall... :lol 

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not an employee but with other customers. An elderly couple they were holding an TRU ad standing in front of the TFs and the lady looked sad going through the pegs looking and looking and then she tells her husband sadly that she can't find it. I feel bad so I asked her if she needed help. She shows me the ad and she was looking for WFC Autobots for the DS. I pointed her in the right direction and she couldn't stop thanking me saying her grandson is going to be so happy. I felt good about myself after.

9. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I did something really bad I will never forgive myself :( 
    I was the first and last time ever and learned my lesson!
    I stole some money from my mom and bought a soda-pop-transformer in the 80's
    I can't rember is she even found out and I had to return it or something :rolleyes2 

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    When the first wave of Generations was hitting, this little kid was like "whatever happened to Hot Rod? First Hot Shot replaced him, then Bumblebee replaced -him-, but Hot Rod was the cool one!" and I was like "yeah, I know what you mean!" Frankly, I was kinda confused that someone that young knew him as "Hot Rod" and not "Rodimus"

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Back when the first live action movie came out, right around this terrible drought in toys shortly after that, I went to buy Brawl at a KB Toys. The cashier told me that I had to be 18 years or older to buy him, which I was. Doesn't ask for ID or any hard proof (and I look a lot younger than I am), just takes my word for it and sells me Brawl.

Around the same time, I tried to buy a E-rated game from another store in the same mall. That cashier said I needed ID, so I show her my ID, but she didn't sell me the game because I (and thus my ID) am from a different state. Went and got the game from a different store in the same mall.

I'm not sure what was going on at that mall and IDs...

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Can't say I've had a lot of these things happen to me, but did you guys ever try & hide certain toys in the store because your parents wouldn't let you have em at that time, but that you had hopes of being able to come back & get a later time? I remember doing this quite often at superstore when I was younger, and I laughed when I saw a guy who looked to be at least as old as I was (I'm 23) do this with a Halo figure today. Also, and this isn't really in relation to transformers, but I've had random people come up to me in stores because & ask me shit, and it's as if they can smell the fact that I used to work in retail. Maybe they remember me from a store or something too, but it still amuses me.

Hahah, oh and about IDs. I remember my dad yelling at some guy in Wal-Mart for finding me a Limpbizkit CD because it had swears in it (to be fair though, limpbizkit was probably the last thing I should've been listening to at that time) and then making a really big scene about how he shouldn't be allowed to do that. It all worked out however, as years later he had to wait in line with me for like an hour to preorder a Pokemon game.

13. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This was on the day DOTM toys dropped at Toys R Us. I made it there at opening at 10 o clock and headed for the tf aisle. Checking the shelves, i saw some deluxe and legends, but barely the amount for a line launch. Dissapointed, i turned to leave but an employee must have noticed and said to wait right there, because he returned with a cart stacked high with boxes. He gave me free reign to go through any i wanted! I found Shockwave and Skyhammer, thanked the man and headed for the checkout. Totally badass shopping experience.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    The next time you're in that store, you should like... go to customer service & ask if you can leave one of those "+rep" notes for him. I don't know if Toys R Us has those, but it's always a nice thing to do when employees go outa their way to do things like that for us.

15. AgentTViper

AgentTViper Member

I was in Walmart about a week before DOTM dropped, buying me a clearanced HFTD Ironhide Deluxe. My cashier actually sarted to put it in it's own seperate bag but I told her go ahead and cram it in he bag with some ramen I was getting. She did it and said "sorry bout that. most people are really picky about those things bending" and I replied with a smile. "Nah. I'm gonna open it and play with it."

Nice to see a Walmart checker being observant of an adult collector's perculiarities and making concessions for them as a course of habit rather than judging and hating. +rep for Walmart

16. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

I was at walmart browsing for classics then this guy comes up to me telling me how cool and rare the ice cream twins are. he went on and on about me getting it since it would fetch at least some good money. i told him i'm not interested in movie toys but he still went on and on about it. what a douche. he picked up a couple of the twins. few days later stores received a bunch of em.

17. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Back when the TRU G1 reissues came out I was in Toys R Us and purchased about 15 or so which totaled well over $400. The woman cashier looked at me and said: You have one lucky kid!!

I just smiled thinking to myself...... No kids, just me :lol 

18. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate to admit it, but I was a 12 year old with very sticky fingers when Micromasters came out.
    I probably lifted a coulple of dozen of those little guys during that phase.
    But I'm sure I've made it up to the Retail Gods in the last 10 years of collecting.

19. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I found HA Skids at a Wal-mart out of town. I also started picking up RotF Legends at that time. When I was in line, a lady who had a child in her cart was checking out in front of me. The little boy, must have been like 3-4 years old, picked up a few of the legends and starting making car and plane noises. The lady apologized to me, but I told her she was ok and her son was really cute. When they left, he waved and said bye to me and my transformers. It was hilarious. The cashier enjoyed it too.

20. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL when i was a kid i would swipe the battle beasts because the toy section was way back in the corner and noone was back there. Im sure i made up for all the collecting ive done all these years also...:)