Fulfilling alternate lines/collections/whatever

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Jan 14, 2012.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So basically, when did you guys starting the urge to fulfill or otherwise get shit for other lines that you normally haven't focused on?

For example, I just picked up a Boba Fett because I've wanted one of him for years, but I don't really plan on getting back into Star Wars stuff in general. It was the same thing when I got Animated Blurr, as I didn't really care about others for the most part. I just gained a liking for that figure, so I bought it when I found a great deal online. Similarly speaking, I'm gonna be looking for a WWF/WWE figure of Kane soon, and again, don't really care to get anyone else, even though I'm a big wrestling fan (and probably will continue to be for the rest of my life). I guess they'll be joining characters like Hexadecimal (Reboot), Armon (Mummies Alive) & Knightquest Batman (Legends of Batman) that've always been among my favorites, but that I didn't really care to expand into as far as I have into Transformers.

Also (which is kinda the question that prompted my interest to make this topic), how did it impact your interest in Transformers? Did it simply exist as a couple of special case wants (sort of like wanting a BW toy if you normally don't get into those kind), or did it seem like a sign/lead to an overall collecting conclusion of sorts?

2. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I started out collecting movie based figures before I got into TFs in '07 and then fell back headfirst in TFs. Hard. That became my strict focus for a number of years.

When the occasional drought would hit inbetween lines later on (or when I was caught up at the time) I began branching out to Predators, DCUC, NECA offerings etc. Collecting the other action figure lines has never really had an effect on my TF collecting, TFs are where my heart and primary interest lies.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'll probably Buy Cheetara but I may only get more TC figures if I find them very cheap.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    This probably belongs in the Toy Ark since we're talking about lines that aren't TF-related :) 

Anyway, I've been a long time Marvel and GI Joe collector, and have been collecting bits and pieces here and there. I used to focus a lot on the Marvel stuff, but it's just been difficult lately to get certain pieces, that I'm currently on hiatus. The Joes, on the other hand, well, I've gotten fed up by their sudden fascination with environment-focus variants, and decision to keep releasing the same character over and over again in diff decos, particularly after the movie launched. I've only bought a few figures since, and will probably take a look once they release the 30th line in full. I'm looking forward to getting Storm Shadow, Lifeline and Sci-Fi to round out my classic Joes.

Cutting my purchases on those lines have probably helped increase my TF spending though, I've spent way more last year than I've ever had on TFs before :p  Got my first ever Botcon figures last year and a couple of grails.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can definitely relate to spending more on the stuff this year than any other, but part of that's gotta do with just recently getting back into it, so I dunno. As far as it belonging in the other section instead of here, I think it could go either way. I just posted it here instead because our Toyark section's got a pretty strong focus on specific threads for specific toys & toylines, while this is the one that I follow for overall discussion type stuff, and I did word it in a way that it's aimed at & relates to Transformers collecting, so... I guess that's me covering my tail haha. If a staff member wants to move it then they'll move it. It's not a big deal to me either way.

Also to a point that BlackMagnus made, I think part of this has to do with out inherent need to want shit, that even the slightest drought opens our minds to allow others to wanna get in. Then when the dust clears, we go back to our natural order. It's just that for me, it really does feel like a conclusion of sorts, even if in the end, it'll just end up with more transformers finding their way to me anyway because I won't care about anything else.

6. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I pick up the odd toy that doesn't necessarily fit a collection every now and then. I had the first WWE Classic Superstars Ultimate Warrior, a mini collection of 6" Universal Monsters, some Family Guy mini bobbleheads from a gumball machine, some Madballs, and other weird toys on a shelf. I picked up the Classic Lion-o from Thundercats but have yet to get Tygra.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

8. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Nail on the head Nomad, you hit it.

9. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay: