Frustrated Teacher Punished for Blog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am so glad i am pursuing a career in post secondary education. i couldn't tolerate an environment this bad without having a "come to Jesus meeting" like my high school teachers gave us when we were unruly. (that's just an expression, meaning they rained fire and homework on us and didn't take lip.)

Pa. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog

Pa. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog - Yahoo! News

and regarding the student who said she was out of line, what is appropriate? letting students bully and intimidate, disrespect your professionalism? i don't understand how he supports her every comment, but says she's wrong for saying it in a private forum.

sheesh.

2. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I would support her. Mostly because she's 100% right.

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

two words, Right on!

Gratned I wasn't a total trouble maker in school, but I was one of the "unmotivaed" kids in school, would Ace tests but do no homework, never ends well grades wise.

but things have become far far worse than when I was a kid, my Mom subs and you would think she returned from in front of a firing squad at the end of the day.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I feel for all the teachers out there. The students today are generally ruly, disrespectful, and hard to teach. I wouldn't do it for any reason.

5. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    QFT

I 100% Agree with her and don't see why she would need to be suspended?

6. Trenner Dios

And I love how the reaction is "Waaah my teacha is sayin' bad things bout me!" and then they punish her for it.

As if she's just some pointlessly malicious bitch who takes pleasure in saying mean things about her students, and not a poor, frustrated woman who is at her wit's end with dealing with spoiled, obnoxious shits that want everything handed to them on a silver platter. Gee, I wonder what prompted these rants? Maybe because they're true? Let's punish her for speaking her mind in a setting that was meant to be private (yes I know, it's the internet, but still), as if she was the problem. Just another instance of parents not wanting to take responsibility for their shitty parenting and stupid children.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Quoted for great justice:thumb 

There are many contributing factors to the failing of schools, It starts at home indeed. BUT. we are clearly far beyond the first generation of when it really started to fall apart. Seems to have began the true plummet in the early 90's, if I had to put a finger on a specific time.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I was especially happy that she doubled down on her comments and has refused to backtrack. A lot of teachers that I know feel the same way and are just afraid to say it.

My sense though is that she may have failed to create the disciplinary framework for a productive class going back to Day 1, which is essential to avoiding the problems she's experiencing.

9. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Of course, blame the teacher and not the asshole children. Fucking parents.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This is gonna be expensive for the school district. The teacher named no names and this is no different than anyone else venting online about there job.

Its Free Speech , get over it move on.

11. Trenner Dios

I can't deny that possibility, or others for that matter, regardless of my first responses. As likely as it is that she's right, and even justified in her writings, I certainly have never been in her class room, so I can only speculate based on what I feel is the most likely scenario: stupid-ass kids.

12. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as she doesn't specifically identify any of her students, she can say anything that she wants in her personal blog. This falls under free speech, in my opinion. If my teacher said the things that she has said in a blog, I wouldn't take any of it personal. I hope that she wins her case against the district and gets to keep her job. I think that the students would learn a lot from that lesson.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's unprofessional, though. If I were to go online and badmouth coworkers or the company I work for, I'm sure I would have disciplinary actions taken upon me. Even a generalized statment. That's just the way having a career works. I think she is right about her students (or at least I don't doubt it), but it was not a great judgement call. She still has freedom of speech, because she won't get arrested for this, but the school system, like most companies, can fire you for almost any reason, so this isn't infringing upon her freedom of speech.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes if she named the co workers, but apparently she just said general comments and didn't name names. At least from what I'm reading. But that's part of the problem too many schools bowing down to the students who act like this, giving them a poor education, then they go out and fail in the world. But in all honesty I agree with her. Many student's don't want to put forth their full or even a half effort. They expect they can turn things in days or weeks late and get full points, and if things don't go their way they bad mouth or threaten the instructor. If you have 2 or three of those in your class you can spend more time dealing with their mis-behavior than teaching the class. That's not good for the students there that really want to learn.

15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well apparently the little bastards were motivated enough to do their research into her online activities.

No one is looking at the bigger issue, the parents of these children should be more concerned that there can be any truth behind what this teacher is saying, rather than to jump in with their mob mentality and go after whoever is challenging them. Same goes for the school administration, quit worrying about who looks bad and get to the basics of the issue: the kids aren't learning, they aren't motivated, and they are out of control.

Ridiculous.

16. Trenner Dios

She did everything she could to keep it private, from what it sounds like. It sounds like the students would have really had to gone out of their way to find her blog. Sometimes when you go poking your nose where it doesn't belong you can get bit.

That's why I don't have any co-workers on Facebook. I keep it viewable to just friends and family and I will not accept co-workers' friend requests, no matter how close we are in the workspace. If I have a crappy day at work and I want to say something about it on FB, I'm going to, and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

Damn straight!

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Teenagers are dicks. I agree with her.

Moving on.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    wtf?

You know what's funny? people say its the teacher's responsibility for almost everything now. Cept you know who is escaping this "responsibility"? PARENTS.

Parent has the responsibility to discipline their own children, regardless of their age. This was, is, and always will be their responsibility. The motivation of a child must be developed when they are younger, and when the parents just throw video games and TV's to them, all the kids know is how to mindlessly absorb, never to think.

19. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

This comic sums it up well:

[​IMG]

It's a pity that the public education system is crumbling apart because everyone is not doing their part in a child's education. I wonder if instituting corporal punishment will change how students will behave. Hope she wins her case and gets back to work.

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

There are always multiple sides to every story. I dont feel bad for the teacher because she needs to keep venting between her, her friends and family. Not a blog. She is a well paid profesional and a public servant.

The kids and thier parents are the bigger culprits. Parents have to be held responsible for the way thier children behave. These kids think they can say and do whatever they want these days, forgetting about respect. Respect for that public servant in this case. Its up to the parents to educate kids about respect.