Minor/Repaint: From the Briny Deep....Classics Longtooth!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Nefud, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

[Updated] From the Briny Deep....Classics Longtooth!

Big Update!

I'm going to leave the old pictures for posterity, even though they are bad and I should feel bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some customs seem like they'll be a lot of work, but go better than you ever expected. Other customs.....are more like trying to crap a pineapple. This was the second kind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't even remember how many times this guy got painted, stripped, and repainted. Thanks to Longtooth here I have a permanent phobia about painting anything yellow. Is there an acrylic yellow on the planet that provides decent coverage? I submit that there is not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biggest lesson on this job was "don't settle because you want to be done." I tried to get lazy and call it good and ended up posting embarassingly bad pictures in Radicons. Not that it's perfect now, but I like it much, much better. The skull, the weapon, totally covering up the engraved autobot symbol, the not-horrible shade of yellow...I can actually be a little proud of one of my customs, for once. :) 

As always, any suggesting would be very welcome!

Old stuff:

I've been really digging the current trend of taking a G1 pretender and combining the outer shell (as the robot mode) with a suitable vehicle mode...Generations Skullgrin, ROTF Bludgeon, and even the upcoming Botcon Octopunch.

Sadly, my favorite Pretender has been absent from the mix. Hopefully we'll get a real Hasbro version someday, but for now I'll settle for this modemade version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, that's a Botcon Landshark. I'm hoping we can keep the "you ruined a Botcon figure?!?!" posts to a minimum. But honestly, I didn't do it lightly. I strongly feel this is the best mold choice for the character, and Longtooth's shell is largely the same pea green as landshart. The blue windshield was also most appropriate for the palette I had in mind. Anyway, moving on...

I'm largely satisfied with how it turned out. I wish that I could've made it more like ROTF Bludgeon, i.e., blended the color scheme of the Pretender shell and inner bot a little better, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it than what I tried.

My biggest issue is the yellow...ugh, this is my last time trying Tamiya paints-- poor coverage, and 15 coats to hide the primer. By the time I was able to make it sufficiently yellow, much of the detail was lost. Does anyone have any advice for chemically stipping off a zillion layers of acrylic pant?

Well, as you can see, I need to do some cleanup work. I'm also going to make him a trident weapon from Terradive's weapon. But if any of you have other advice/comments/critiques, I am all ears!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Very Clever.

3. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Looks very promising. I will be watching this. :thumb 

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Interesting. :thumb 

5. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    I can't even begin to describe how perfect that head is. Who would've thought ROTF Demolishor looked like a robot walrus, with the right colors.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

NICE!!!!

7. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love it! Where'd the head come from? I was thinking of doing this with an Energon Sharkticon. I never got why a walrus dude had a car alt mode, so the boat-ish thing might work well. But this is awesome!

8. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Sharkticon would be a great mode for a Longtooth, for sure. I usually search for the right head for the job, and go from there...ROTF Demolishor wouldn't really fit on Sharkticon, sadly.

Like I said, the head is ROTF Demolishor, but with some styrene parts to add his cyborg-esque headgear.

I REALLY need to fix that yellow, it's just so gloopy looking...

9. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it looks great man. But yeah, that head wouldn't fit. I'll have to find something else. I'm sure there's a Star Wars character with a Walrus head or something. But again, this is awesome!

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I tried searching for all kinds of walrus toys (including Ponda Boba from Star Wars)...I just didn't have much luck.

This custom was almost Breacher with a Chopsaw head, but I didn't want him to be so puny next to Bludgeon and Skullgrin.

11. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Lovely work mate!

12. avengerboy123

avengerboy123 Well-Known Member

where can i sign up for one?

13. avengerboy123

insted of using the one from botcon you could have found a energon landmine for about 20$

14. avengerboy123

awesome

15. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

As always, I love how creative your customs are. Sorry about freaking out over the "WHAT YOU RUINED A BOTCON FIGURE?!" earlier, I had no idea he was only worth $40, heh.

Now I really want you to give shot at a Custom Stranglehold, because he would be nothing short of an eldritch abomination of robot and Burt Reynolds.

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This is smart. :thumb 

17. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

That would be amazing, but it would be even harder to come up with the "right" color scheme. I'm picturing a robot version of a bodybuilder who uses too much bronzer that turns into a devil dog. Hmmm...

18. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work. Very creative. Sorry about the paint issues, my only suggestion is to always test the paint on an inconspicuous spot. If it doesn't cover in 3 coats, it won't ever.

19. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Never heard this rule, but in retrospect, you're 100% correct. I need to tattoo it on my hands so I don't screw up like this ever again.

20. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

Hes a pretender, from the pretenders, he is the walrus! Koo-koo-kachoo!!