From Slag to Treasures: Transformers that have shot up in price

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Unicron129, Jan 8, 2012.

1. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. Thankfully I found an auction where I got Leader Prime, Megatron and HA Bumblebee for $100.

2. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Agreed. Jetfire was everywhere at one point, and now I can only find him on eBay for £150+. Nooo thank you.

3. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also premium items from the first movie line have shot up lead by Jazz. Yes ROTF has kicked major butt, expect many of the NEST figures to go up as well incl. HA Jazz. Also some animated figures are going up like swindle and arcee.

If youre into DOTM items, Shockwave might be they key piece if he doesnt get leader/supreme class treatment, they're are already being phased out.

4. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I don't know if Skywarp would count without a Hasbro release, since that already gives him a leg up in price being a Takara release and then a Japan exclusive anyway. That's already an relatively expensive figure.

As for Leadfoot, and maybe even the remaining DOTM waves: if they don't show up in mainstream retail, they'll probably pop up in discount stores if recent trends are a good indicator.

5. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Razorbeast, and basically anyone in the IDW Beast Wars comic with a big role.

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    1)Buster Prime for example started to well outstrip it's (Japanese premium) pricing...on the other, hand Skywarp IS an offscreen character.

2) The thing is, with (RTS) Windcharger, HA Mudflap for example, at least we know they exist in Hasbro packaging. We've seen all three Soundwave in Hasbro packaging too.

A Hasbro Leadfoot...... we haven't heard a peep about. If no Hasbro version goes through a production run, there won't be anything for discount stores to receive. Aside from which, what happens to Target exclusives once Target are done with them? Do they still go to discount stores? I honestly don't know.

7. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Buster Prime is also insanely popular, may be more so with the DOTM in the can and it seeming like nothing is going to come along to out do the job they did on that.

I can see your point about Leadfoot; I never thought of it that way.

8. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    ...i think, even before a more definite lifespan for DOTM toys was announced, people were showing they were willing to pay extra for it

But to some extent that may be because they already figured that even if Hasbro were to go near that tooling, it would be a more cost effective iteration.

Leadfoot: At this point, i'm wondering if Target even WANT it anymore.

Maybe they do, but DOTM toy sales must be on the downward turn by now, whatever packaging they're in. Marketing a toy covered in Target logos to their competitors... really not sure how that will work.

A non-logo version at mass retail......... i don't know how viable that is either: The single carded Takara version has no Hasbro logos on the packaging, and the 'for sale in Japan only' text.

Maybe the last part isn't necessarily an issue, and even if it is, maybe they can come up with another variation in the deco.

9. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's very unlikely Target will carry Leadfoot as a DOTM exclusive toy. The question now is will Hasbro repackage it for another line, and will Target want it then?

Also, has Hasbro already produced these, do they already have DOTM packaging, do they already have Target Logos? If yes in either case, is Hasbro willing to spend the time/money to go back and make changes? If the logos are on the toys and Target doesn't want them, is Hasbro allowed to sell them at all?

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very possible.

11. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

It's funny you mention that, because the one thing I could reliably find after the post-Christmas shopping orgy, in a nearly bare Target toy aisle was HA Leadfoot.

12. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

News Credits:
    How much is Premium Jazz going for anyways?

13. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ive seen them go for $40-$50 moc

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Movie Leaders and Devastator. "Everybody" complains about how bad they are, how overpriced, how they shelfwarm, but they still shoot up in price. What's worse is that I've never seen much of the big guys (namely Jetfire and Devs), much less for the "inevitable" sale/clearance. It's maddening looking for toys nobody seemed to want that go for hundreds of dollars.

Not to mention loose Devastators always seem to be missing fingers or those cement mixer barrel "ears" things.

15. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    The 2006 Botcon Box set. I had to list mine twice on ebay back in late 2008 just to get $300 for it. Now, good luck touching that thing for less than $600.

16. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like mine? :D  :p 

I got mine loose from ebay for about $40+shipping a couple years ago before he decided to shoot up in price and get crazy.

17. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

I'm just waiting for irony to serve, and in a few years all the movieverse Bee's are going to be like 80 per deluxe, and 150 for anything bigger.

Though, we all know DOTM Starscream and Thundercracker are going to go for insane prices. Silly... overpriced sellers?

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    sitts back and relaxes as I never have to deal with this crap. God its good to collect vintage.

19. dirgestone

dirgestone Banned

I notice that the price on the vintage stuff has dropped interesting enough.

I have been looking for an incomplete movie Megs to mod and its really hard to get one under 40 bucks

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    some stuff yes, mostly stuff thats been reissued or KO:ed.

But in the long run..vintage stuff in good condition will always hold its value.