Customs: From LEGO to Transformers toy?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, I'm curious about something that I think will make for a good discussion:

We have had several mindblowingly awesome customs threads where an artist has created a Transformers LEGO kit. While they are cool in their own right, something I'm wanting to see is an artist take a LEGO kit, create a new custom, and make the finished product not have a "LEGO' aesthetic.

I have my own thoughts regarding this discussion, but I want to hear from you guys first. What are some of the physical aspects of a LEGO kit that separate it from looking like a TF when we see a robot LEGO? Discuss! :) 

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    well, lesee......im not sure maybe the finished product could be sanded, chipped and added a little kibble, or something. i remember I made one a year or two ago(sorry no pics) and id kinda transformerd like cybertron armorhide. but it split in half due to transformation reasons.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think size plays into it, I think the larger the size, the more detail can be put in, and the less legoish it looks. I think a good analogy is that small legos sets look pixilated, where as large sets have a better resolution.

4. Maloknazh

Maloknazh @MalwareSculpts

Ebay:
    Basically what Boggs6ft7 said, the size varies on the detail. Pieces come into play, for only so many pieces have actually been produced, let alone if its in the right color. Making a ridable Transformer for lego figs, it would have to be preeeeeetty big. I tried many times, cant do it unless its a foor or two tall.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I actually like the lego aesthetic. It's what sets it apart from other TF custom work. The only time I'd cut or sand anything down is if I'm using parts for a custom that isn't primarily made of lego bits and pieces. Otherwise, I think it defeats the purpose.

But in regard to your question, I would add flat pieces and try minimizing the amount of modifications.

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love legos but I dont think I like em for transformers. I usually use em for making walls when I do molding and casting or a build huge Mega Mans cause the blocks are just like pixels and I loooooove pixels.

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too really like the LEGO aesthetic, as it looks amazing & has much, much more detail than other figures,

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [courtesy of Johhny Dai]

but for the custom to stop being a LEGO build to me, it'd have to have all the surfaces puttied/sanded to look like they never were LEGO to begin with...

Attached Files:

• 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      704.2 KB
      Views:
    • 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      705.6 KB
      Views:
    • new_00.jpg
      new_00.jpg
      File size:
      434.8 KB
      Views:
    • new_03.jpg
      new_03.jpg
      File size:
      461.6 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slightly off-topic: I love when I see an effective use of Bionicle parts in kitbashes. But I can't get over the fact that I instantly spot the parts like a glaring scarlet letter, with their tell-tale "Technic" pieces and cross-bar (+) holes everywhere. Got to get those filled with putty!

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You're actually not off topic (and I'll respond to the rest of you guys in just a bit; thanks for posting :) ), because that's actually what I'm trying to hit on. I recently got some Neo-shifters and (like other artists) think they might work well as TFs themselves. There's just something "off" like you're saying. I suspect that it may be that there are too many holes/gaps on each of the pieces. If this is the case, I thought, "well, I could just fill those in or something", but I suspect that even that may not be enough.