From Armored Core to Armored Core Nexus.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Veritechnium, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Veritechnium

Veritechnium Well-Known Member

Any fans here? I just realised the other day what an illustrious heritage these titles have. The Ravens have been fighting corporations in so many incarnations and stories in these games.
    I admit I never got into the earlier titles, but after playing Nine Breaker, which was great, I ended up buying Nexus. Pretty good, only just started though! lol!

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I'm pretty much the opposite of you, i've played since the original, to 3 and it's expansion, but I havn't played anything past. Always meant to pick up NB and Nexus, but never did.

3. Veritechnium

I'm not sure why it never interested me before NB and Nexus, but graphics, gameplay and that recent years saw a huge insurge of mech anime may have had something to with it!

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've gotten every single installment up to last raven right as they come out (a few times, I've gotten then before they came out) and I'll get AC4 as soon as it's available, even if I dont have a 360 or PS3 at the time.

I also eagerly await the OAV.

5. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I have all the PS2 games, except the last 2 release, cuase I could not find it.

Waiting for the 360 AC4 game. At least I have Chrome Hounds right now.

6. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I've played the first one, but the controls were so awful that I didn't care to try any of the later ones.

7. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I have all the Armored Core games up through Nine Breaker. AC2 is my favorite engine, and AC2AA is my favorite because it has more stuff. AC3 changed the gameplay engine a bit, with mixed feelings from me, but I still love it and Silent Line. However, I was very disappointed with Nexus, because they jacked up that engine so much it's only a shadow of what it was. I bought Nine Breaker out of habit, but I've only put maybe 30 minutes into it after owning it since it came out. I have seen Last Raven several times in the stores, but have never bought it, because it's going to be as disappointing as Nexus. I eagerly await AC4, but will play before I buy it. I have, however, heard that From Software is working on a DS or Wii game, and that it will be part of a current series. Again, I will play it before I buy. I still go back and play my previous AC games, then I feel sad that Armored Core has fallen.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    From Software isnt making a DS or Wii AC game. Only AC projects they have going on now are AC4, and the Fort Tower Song OAV.

I really don't get the hatred that Nexus gets from people. its the first time that US gamers had a say in the development of an AC game. I can't remember all the things that were suggested that made it in, but the biggest contribution has to be the inclusion of the hanger weapons, an idea from Mechabouncer at Agetec's message board. those add a whole lot to the game and made vs battles a lot more interesting.

9. Veritechnium

I eagerly awaited the ZOE anime series, but it was shite. The only thing worth watching was the pilot episode IDOLO.

10. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Got most of the PS2 AC games, I enjoy them all and love how you can now use both the analogue sticks but it still takes a while to get used to.
    It's a pity AC is such a love-it-or-hate-it series, if it were more popular in the UK we may actually get announced release dates and the games wouldn't be so much of a pain to hunt down

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ive only currently got AC3, but played on AC2, none of the newer ones.

12. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Hanger weapons are okay. It's nice to be able to carry more weapons. I like running around with six seperate grendade launchers. What really gets me about that game is the fact that you overheat so easily, then once you overheat, your radiator goes into overdrive, sucks the hell out of your energy meter, then you run out, are left with crappy manuvering, no energy blade, no energy weapons, no choice but to SLOWLY walk to somewhere where you could possibly get cover, all the while still taking damage that increses your heat. Not to mention the fact that when you run out of energy, your heat goes back to critical and your AP starts dropping. So, eventually, you get cooled down, and then you still have to wait since your capacitors won't charge until the radiator stopps sucking life. So, after about a minute of precious time, and at least a thousand AP, if you're lucky, you get back on your feet. Until next time. The other thing that I really have mixed feeling about is the ammo clips. There's pros and cons to it.

Anyhow, I read that From Software is making a game for Nintendo, and that it will be part of a current series. The possibility of a AC game is purely speculation.

13. Savanna

This is why I am loving Chrome Hounds. There are Heat and Energy agian, but its done in a differet way which makes a hell of alot more sense. Then agian Chrome Hounds also doesn't have Energy Weaponary which is ok.

14. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    I've heard that Chrome Hounds is something I must play. In that game, do you have to buy your ammunition? Because that was what made them useful in Armored Core. You could step into a mission with an E Blade, beam rifle, plasma cannon, and a radar, tear the place up, and only have to pay for damages to yourself.

Heh heh, of course, while I liked not having to pay, it struck me that there would have to be SOMETHING to pay for, else you wouldn't have a limited number of shots. If all it took was energy, then you could fire a bizzillion times. But, if you only had a limited number of fuses or something, that would explain it. Of course, then it would cost money to replace the fuses. Eh. That conversation happened one night when my friends and I were playing that game and analyzing it WAAAAY too deeply.

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I suggest Energy Capacitors as 'ammo'. It's not the first time we've seen it in sci fi. :)  Usually you seem them in genres where engines dont provide enough oomph to power the energy weapons and you need that extra bit of energy to fire.

Another thing you often see being a limiting factor is barrel/part replacement. Energy weapons produce a lot of heat so it's feasible that certain parts need to be replaced constantly. Throw in some sort of safety inhibitor to keep a catastrophic failure from occuring and again you have a limited number of shots.

16. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I bought the original AC, never beat it (though my buddy did when he borrowed it), but I spent more than a few nights staying up 'til the wee hours of the morning building different cores. It's like playing dress-up, but with high explosives. The menu/hangar music still gets stuck in my head sometimes.

17. Savanna

Well, in Single Player(pretty much just training stuff for the 6 class types), you don't have to pay for anything. You can win parts depending how you do. Up to A Rank, 1 Part, S Rank 2 Parts.

When your online and participating in the War, then you have to pay for your fuel and damage, and I asume bullets. Onlien Free Missions are no cost, but you can earn money to buy parts.

18. Veritechnium

I just played Nexus through for the first time, still got a long way to go for 100% completion, though. I found it to be a great game. I was just annoyed by the limited weight a two leg unit can handle (even after tuning), I've had to convert my heavy ACs to four legged walkers or tracks, sacrificing mobility and jump.
    Still, some weapons are seemingly overly heavy, so designing my own quick and nimble 'hit & run' AC is a real chore of mix-matching.
    I've never actually had any real problems with the energy usage, but I will agree that its very hard, especially for me being a relative newbie to the franchise, to build a balanced AC - I only had a success rate of 32% when I started, but now that I have assembled three of my own distinct types (heavy, sniper and assault), its a relative breeze to mop up all the missions I flunked or skipped.
    I'm on to the bonus disc that features levels from all previous AC titles (re-rendered for PS2) and that is also a lot of fun.
    I'll have to go and get Nine Breaker now!