Fringe - The Final Season

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaPrime22, Sep 28, 2012.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wasnt sure whether or not to revive the old thread from last year, however I figured since its the final season and some people here may still watch id make a new one. It starts this weekend and goes on for 13 episodes. Cant wait for this!
    FRINGE - Season 5 Trailer (Remix) - YouTube

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Most of S4 was terrible and I was not impressed with the episode that sets up the events for this season, particularly the revelation that the Observers are basically just Goobacks, here from the future to take our jobs (dey terk er jerbs!). However, the season/mid-season premieres and finales last year were excellent, the quality of the acting is still exceptional and when the episodes are good, it's one of the best shows on TV. I'm hopeful that, with a shorter season and a defined end-point clearly in sight, the writers will be able to keep the show on course and build to an exciting conclusion without getting bogged down in too much filler again.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    After the pretty rubbish season four I'm not expecting much from this new one. I'll be watching it simply because I know it's all coming to an end now. I used to be such a massive fan too.

4. Scantron

News Credits:
    Disappointing episode, IMO. I was hoping this season would focus on the present Fringe team trying to prevent the Observer invasion, with the flash-forward episode last season providing the stakes by showing what happens if they fail. I just don't find the future world that interesting. Of course, maybe the 'plan' will involve sending someone back in time and bring in the present Fringe team that way. I'm also hoping the alt-universe characters don't get completely forgotten in this; be nice if some part of the plan involved re-opening the bridge and bringing over the future versions of Walternate, Fauxlivia, our-Lincoln and crazy-Astrid to help fight the Goobacks.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

Wasn't the alt universe destroyed?

6. Scantron

News Credits:
    No, they just shut down the bridge between worlds. It was said that closing the bridge would cause the alt universe to start destabilizing again though, which would be another reason to check in on those characters this season.

7. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I liked it, felt like 'our' Walter was back after season 4 and it's 'rebooted' characters.

8. Hosta

Hosta Banned

i've got all 4 seasons on DVD, they've ditched the alt reality storyline for a future one! in season 5, we got a taste of it in season 4's ep Letters Of Transit.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

These last two episodes have been really ho-hum for me.I expected a lot more with this being the last season.Hopefully it picks up as we go along.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The last episodes haven't been bad, but I'm not really into it. The tree/bark people seemed kinda pointless. I don't like scavenger hunts, and I'm not a fan of this "go here go there" storyline.

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I am rather disappointed at the direction they chose to take the final season. Sure, it's interesting that the observers have taken over, but the whole scavenger hunt thing is meh. Will they get caught.....yes....ohhh so close. Sigh.

12. Scantron

News Credits:
    Yeah, this season has sucked so far and the last episode wasn't an improvement. I'm not fond of storylines that involve collecting plot coupons in cartoons, let alone a live-action 'adult' series that has historically had better writing. And can someone explain why the people in the last episode had that skin disease? It was something to do with the mine, but then Walter said something about the CO2 the Observers were putting into the air causing an immune response that was leading to extreme psoriasis...or something. Wasn't vital to the plot or anything, granted, just confusing. And is it just me, or does it seem like the Observer have been significantly de-powered?

In a few weeks, Shark Tank is moving to 9PM and, when it does, I'm done watching Fringe live. I'll just download the episodes or wait until they go up on Hulu's free page. And if I ever do pick this series up on DVD-Bluray, I'm just going to pretend that "Letters of Transit" never happened and the show ended with the finale of Season 4.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

The great thing about this being the last season is that they can kill off "major" characters.It really adds a lot of drama to the show.Although I really liked Etta.

...and of course the Observer got out of there right before the bomb went off.

14. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you guys see the promo for next week? its going down son!

15. Hosta

Hosta Banned

i've yet to watch the latest episode

16. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

You need to watch it.....soon.

17. Hosta

Hosta Banned

ty, will do:) 

18. Scantron

News Credits:
    While
    Etta's death
    definitely wasn't something I expected, I never really connected with the character, so it had very little impact for me.
    Now that she's dead
    , I don't see any way this doesn't end with a cosmic reset. I was impressed with the idea of weaponizing their previous Fringe cases, but it was disappointing that they only really used one. They did make a point of mentioning the 'other side viewer' though, so maybe we'll get to see those characters again. Overall, not as bad as the previous episodes this season, but nowhere near the quality of Seasons 2 and 3.

And, it is just me, or are the Observers far too easy to kill? I counted three they shot, another that was gassed and possibly a few more
    when Etta's bomb went off

"Major" characters who have only been in 5 episodes, 4 of which were in this season.
    I'll buy it as adding a lot of drama when/if they
    kill one of the 'main four' (Olivia, Peter, Walter, Astrid) who have been around since the beginning

19. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Agreed,but that's why I had major in quotes.She's only been around for a handful of episodes,but her relationships to the main characters of Olivia and Peter make her seem like more of a major character.

20. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

And remember the importance of Peter & Olivias child was stressed 2 times in the Season 3 episode(s) The Firefly, & The Day we Died. So while
    Etta is dead
    for the time being we know we will see her again at some point this season.

@Scantron The Resistance can easily dispatch The Observers with the firearms that they have because they are based off the designs of the gun used to shoot September in Season 4.