Frenzy and Barricade... where does Soundwave fit in?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, Apr 3, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So, in movie one, Frenzy is teamed up with Barricade...
    In every piece of fiction ever, Frenzy has been a minion of Soundwave... so, since there is a movieverse Soundwave, where does he fit in?

Barricade and Soundwave worked together in DOTM when they held the Autobots prisoner, so do the two of them have a comradery? Did Soundwave pass on his little spy, Frenzy, to Barricade so they could work together on earth? Or, in this universe, is Frenzy unrelated to Soundwave?

There isn't any real evidence to suggest anything for this situation, so it all comes down to speculation... but it is something I've been curious about.

2. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Totally unrelated. Not every incarnation must be 100% carbon copy of the GeeWun, right?

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    No, but it is a theme of the two sequels for the minion spies to be extensions of Soundwave. Ravage and Laserbeak both were such, so to have Frenzy be unrelated to the character is jarring.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    There's probably not supposed to be any "relation" of any sorts, other than the fact that Orci/Kurtzman wanted Soundwave in the first movie, but they couldn't find a way to do him justice. But they had to have someone Soundwave-related in there, so they chose Frenzy. They simply decided to pair Frenzy with Barricade; like a corrupt cop and his evil, sentient ride.

Long story short, Frenzy's inclusion/design and his partnering with Barricade was basically supposed to appease the fans who wanted Soundwave; giving us Soundwave without actually giving us Soundwave.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Barricade and Soundwave (and perhaps Blackout, too) might belong to a type or subclass of Decepticon who are tricked out to deploy smaller Decepticons.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Maybe part of a division which specializes in undercover and stealth tactics? Even though they never really could keep up their disguise...

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed. Barricade adopting a cop car as his alt mode, along with Soundwave disguising as Dylan's Mercedes, point at them being geared for subterfuge and espionage.

8. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    maybe soundwave sent frenzy to go do some reconnaissance w/ barricade cause he's little and can hack computers. you must also remember that this is the movieverse and scorponok wasn't exactly city sized :lol  but they were both pretty helpful regardless

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So bots that on their own specialize in stealth tactics but are also issued a counterpart or several counterparts to deploy in situations where a different expertise is necessary. A smaller bot or a bot with a seperate or more fitting function for the situation...

Makes sense to me.

10. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

/thread.

11. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    as of now theres nothing that suggest movie frenzy is allied to Soundwave (not even in the comics and any tie in media)

12. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I don't know, I mean all Barricade did was pick Frenzy up from the airport. Anyone could have done that really, so maybe there COULD be a connection.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My memory may be fuzzy on this but in the leaked script for the first film I'm sure Frenzy transformed into Barricade's dashboard radio, which would suggest a more integrated partnership. But since that didn't make it into the actual movie it probably doesn't count. Same with Frenzy becoming the front part of Barricade on the toy.

I think unless a smaller TF is integrated somehow into the larger one I'd just take it as a small TF working with a big TF. Integrations would be Frenzy+Barricade (if you count my examples above), Blackout+Scorponok (since Scorp formed part of the helicoptor mode, at least initially) and Soundwave+Ravage (satellite and missile Ravage). And then perhaps even further with Ravage+Reedman since Ravage spit up the balls that formed Reedman.

But where do Gobots Frenzy and MiniCon Frenzy fit into all this if Frenzys are supposed to always be allied to a Soundwave in some way? :inquisiti 

14. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I explain it by saying Barricade kidnapped Frenzy from Soundwave.

15. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

Frenzy's adopted.

We do see Soundwave and Barricade together in DOTM, so Soundwave must've 'entrusted' barricade with Frenzy.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

IIRC, early drafts of the first movie's script had Soundwave in place of Blackout (with a helicopter mode) and then later in the role that would eventually become Barricade. I think this is why those two characters retained the idea of having a deployable little minion even though they weren't Soundwave (right before BB transforms for the first time at the power plant, Frenzy appears to come out of one of Barricade's headlights. Barricade's original toy also has a Frenzy that turns into some kind of a block and stores inside the toy's chest.)

17. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Dude, the movie verse is not G1. Frenzy is a spy for Barricade, just like Skorponok was for Blackout.

18. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a very early draft, Blackout was going to be Soundwave with the ability to send off minions (Which would include Frenzy and Scorponok) and he would have fulfilled the role of Barricade as well. He would have attacked the base, stolen the data, released Scorponok, scanned a vehicle mode, found Sam and used Frenzy to gain information. However the writers thought it was a bit over the top and they were unhappy with the size changing which would be including changing from a helicopter to a robot to a car.
    Barricade was introduced due to the Bay`s idea of a police car being a bad guy. Frenzy was latched with him because Frenzy has a large role and couldn’t be removed or rewritten.

I like to think that Frenzy is Soundwaves minion who is with Barricade because Barricade is the quickest and easily hidden Decepticon.