Freeview Telly Weirdness

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gingerchris, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Okay, our area here in England finally had the second part of the Digital Switchover yesterday so the analogue signal is completely gone. That's irksome enough in itself but we have Sky and several Freeview boxes in my house so it's not like we have no telly shows at all, we're just missing being able to tape one channel and watch another through a single telly (our Freeview and Sky are older models without such twin tuner wonders). My point of posting though is a rather strange problem I encountered when I was helping my younger sister adjust her telly set up.

She has a telly with built-in Freeview and DVD player. All normal enough. She's never bothered with recording from Freeview as until yesterday there were the analogue channels and that was all she really watched or taped. Now, she can record to her VHS tape player from Freeview just fine... but only when they telly is turned on. If she puts the telly in stand by or turns it off then the Freeview built-in is also turned off and so the VHS recording goes blank. That in itself is pretty mind boggling a design oversight of the telly, but there's more. I wondered if she could even watch a DVD while taping from Freeview since the telly would still be turned on, so I gave it a go. Amazingly the VHS taped the Freeview fine until I turned on the telly's built-in DVD player and the VHS started to record that instead. The VHS was actually able to record from whatever the DVD was displaying, including the movie itself. I was under the impression that there was some kind of protection on DVDs to prevent taping them to VHS.

Anyways, any suggestions? Apart from ones telling her to get a better telly and Freeview with built-in hard drive recorder and ditch the VHS. I'm just astounded that the designers of this telly seem to have not taken into account people wanting to record from it to an outside source with the telly turned off. If my sister wants to tape something while she's out then she has to leave the telly turned on while recording, which is obviously a stupid situation.

Not sure what make and model the telly is yet - my sister is trying to dig out the manual.

2. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From the sounds of it, the VHS recorder is only recording the input form the TV (My guess is that it's connected via SCART)
    As the VHS recorder doesn't have a Freeview receiver and the analogue signals are switched off, it can't process anything unless the TV is on to do that part of the work. That's why the DVD would record as well.

It's not so much a fault of the TV manufacture, more the obsolete technology of VHS I'm afraid as they were created at a time when there was only a small amount of analogue channels.

One solution that I can think of would be to buy a cheap stand alone Freeview box. That way it could left on for recording a program while the TV is switched off. She'd also be able to watch one Freeview program via the TV's Freeview and tape another via the digibox.

Alternatively, she could ditch the VHS recorder and get a Freeview box with a HDD. No need to replace the TV fully. The one we bought my mum last year allows you to record two channels and watch a third.

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    All good advice, ta. I think my sister is pretty much resolved now to having to buy something additional, be it another Freeview box for taping to VHS or Freeview HDD and lose the VHS completely (which is a pity as it's still a nice easy technology compared with faffing around with discs and hard drives and menus). She's just bummed that she bought the telly so the switchover wouldn't be a problem once the analogue was gone and then finds she can't tape from it with the telly turned off. She regrets not just buying a standalone Freeview box (HDD or otherwise) which is what I decided to do rather than a whole new telly. I've had that setup for a couple of years now so I knew I'd not have those problems.
    I was just surprised that there wasn't a function for the Freeview signal to still output while her telly is at least in standby mode.

Damn the march of technology! :p 

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Freeview HDD recorders are actually easier to use than the VHS. You bring up the guide and then select what you want to tape. Easier than having to manually add in the program.

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I think it's probably as much that I'm an old git set in my ways. A pal gave me a DVD recorder with Freeview and HDD and I just don't enjoy or trust it as much as chucking a cassette into a machine and pressing record. I have a great reluctance to go fully over to digital recording of telly.