FREEDOM OF SPEECH: The moar you know

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GogDog, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    There is seemingly a large, overwhelming mass misunderstanding of the rights granted under the First Amendment of the United State Bill of Rights (and, well, all of the amendments for that matter, but I digress). So, in order to help out my fellow internet goers who love to claim a violation of rights, yet have probably never read the Bill of Rights in their lifetime, I present to you:

The First Amendment: The Moar You Know

[​IMG]

Here is the First Amendment, word for word:

And once more, for emphasis:

Let me explain this to you. The First Amendment protects you from the United States government from passing laws which restrict your freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition the government. In no way does this affect private establishments. Public schools are usually included along with the government, since they are funded and ran by the governments.

You have every right to go into a public place and say whatever you want, within established levels reason. You DO NOT have the right to go onto privately owned message boards, say whatever you want, and expect the United States Bill of Rights to protect your posts from deletion or editing. This is not to say that owners or staff members of such boards should happily censor everything to their heart's content, but it is far from illegal, or far from disallowed by the Bill of Rights. It's the same thing in public places: you can't go into a restaurant and start insulting people without expecting to be asked to leave. Sure, you won't be able to be arrested for it (meaning it's not illegal), but there's no law stating that the restaurant owner has to allow you stay there. It's also not illegal for him to tell you to get out of his establishment, either. The same principles apply to the internet.

Of course, this only applies to people in the United States. Your laws may be different if you reside in a different country, but they still will not affect how you are allowed to post on TFW2005.com

A staff member's job on a message board, and certainly TFW2005.com, is to provide a place to discuss a subject or hobby peacefully, or at the very least, within it's established set of rules. Decisions are made in order to maintain this environment, within a certain level of reason. We are all here to enjoy a hobby, and in our case, it's giant f'ing robots. But if you are a knucklehead and break the rules, you will be dealt with. There is no Constitutional Amendment that will protect you.

Thank you, and have a good day.

P.S. Please read The Rules for further clarification.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

What? The majority of this people in the U.S. don't understand their rights, the constitution, or the true reasons this country was founded? I find what you are implying to be absurd, sir. Absurd!

But truthfully, thank you for posting this. Some people though, I'm sure, will still prefer to believe that the 1st amendment applies to their situation, regardless of whether it does or not. Ignorance is bliss.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Chiming in for Canadian members!

Under the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, Secton 2, those in Canada are guaranteed fundamental human rights, including Freedom of Speech.

However, this freedom is not absolute, to the point that Section 1 states that the government has the right to impose reasonable and justifiable limits.

What does this mean for you? That there is legal precedent wherein a person's right to free speech was considered to be worth less than the risk of damage to the rights of others. Expressions of free speech, including slander/libel, and especially hate speech, are not covered under the Charter.

Differently worded from the US, the Charter guarantees the right to Free Speech, rather than prohibiting the government from infringing upon it, the Charter is, in essence, similar in its application to private settings. However, the Canadian government has more power to censor, and a stronger history of censorship than many other nations, even on the internet. In essence, you can say what you want, so long as its in public and it doesn't hurt anyone, but your right to speech may be limited in a private setting.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It's quite sad that people need this explained.

By the way, I was hoping this was another post from a Nemesis Bruticus sockpuppet with a new chapter in his best-selling homo-erotic thriller.

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I concur. And to be fair, I think the vast majority of people don't need it explained. But It's getting a little tiring with nearly everyone who gets an inflammatory or bigoted post deleted responding with complaints of their Constitutional Rights being violated.

6. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

The first admendment states freedom of speech, not the right to be heard. (though the press part can be a loophole)

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The bottom line is: the first amendment does not give you the right to wander into someone's house and shout long rants about how the owners are all bumming each other.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

There are rules and laws for a reason, folks. It's called keeping society in order.

That is the way I see it.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Gog, you are my hero. In fact, I'll give you a Nobel Prize.

Seriously though. In my tenure here as staff, it never failed to amaze me how a person can think that any country's laws can be applied to the internet when it comes to stuff like freedom of speech and whatnot.

I mean, where are they learning this? Are our teachers teaching this to the kids nowadays? Is it parents? God Almighty Himself?

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh, oh, your "modding honeymoon" period is over, and you're having to deal with the ever-present OMG UR VIOLATING MY FREE SPEACH crowd.

Gird up your ban hammer and set forth into battle!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.