"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" or is it?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I got to thinking. With the way technology is rapidly progressing, it's only a matter of time that a fully sentient robot is created to do work. Do you think that Transformers, of either faction, would approve?

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Right...

Remember - they're not real.

I doubt we'll ever make a sentient robot - at least not until maybe 2100 or something.

3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

You take that back RIGHT NOW.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

They were always real to me.

5. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    What? They aren't real? How come my sisters car can transform?

6. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I'm saying that if they were real, would they approve

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

8. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Does that make a discussion about how Transformers would view humans creating sentient robots to use as slaves completely pointless?

It's a more interesting topic than many I've seen discussed at length here. If I weren't so tired I'd add my thoughts about it. Maybe I'll revisit the thread when I have a free moment. :) 

9. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Feel like a big boy tellin your big boy lies?

And yes. They would approve.

10. kraven

kraven Decepticon

If they were just mindlees machines carrying out what they are programed to do, it would probabally be cool. But if the robot had a "spark" or whatever, i'm sure Prime would give you the 'ol "freedom is the right..." speech. But i'm sure Megatron wouldnt care, as long as he had control over the robots. Seems to be the way he rolls. (or should I say shoots :tongue:  )

11. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

Well given that creating sentient robots will quickly and inevitably lead to the robot apocalypse, the Autobots would probably care, and the Decepticons would revel in it.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    In b4 Skynet, etc.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Why would we bother? We never make tools "smarter" than they need to be. Why would we waste the time, effort, and money making fully sapient machines for scutwork? Living humans are cheaper and easier.

- Coeloptera

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't think sentient machines would be good. If a machine would be sentient and would dislike it's job, it probably wouldn't work that good as if it was just a machine that would not think about it. At least I would work better If I would not be thinking all the time of so many things I would prefer to do...

There even would be no point in replacing humans by machines and than making machines sentient.

Lazy machines... lol

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I thought Star Trek the Generation always handled the question really well with was Data a living being who deserved the same rights as any member of the Federation or just a machine.

The thing that always bugs me is that we keep thinking that if robots ever become sentient that they are going to have it out for us. That somehow there can only be one sentient species on the planet at one time. Instead of a Skynet or the machines from the Matrix what if sentient robots ended up with the better parts of our nature like Prime. I mean could imagine a world where sentient robots and humans actually worked hand and hand with each other instead of the movie idea of there can be only one.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The robots would eventually get fed up with us. Humans already get fed up with humans because we're so selfish and greedy and violent and kinda irritating. Now stick us on a planet with other sentient beings who never get tired, work perfectly, can be easily repaired and created and probably don't fight amongst themselves. Eventually the robots would decide the whole planet would be better off without us. Either that or the humans would provoke them into action first.

17. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    Ever heard of the Technological Singularity? It's a theoretical event that will probably occur if we ever develop a sentient artificial intelligence.

Basically, with the rate at which computing power is progressing, we will eventually create a computer more intelligent than a human. That computer can then create a computer more powerful than IT, and so on and so forth. Now this makes sense for us to do, as a computer more powerful than a human can essentially begin to make scientific advancements without any input form us at all, further accelerating the rate of human development. Now the question I am sure you are all wondering is, "well why would the computers even bother keeping us around? Wouldn't they eliminate us?" Well the obvious way to avert this would be to FUSE with computers and become a species of technorganics. The computers could use our brains and bodies as hardware, and we could take advantage of the software they could provide to boost our own intelligence.

Now to make this even creepier, some theorists have guessed that we could hit the Technological Singularity as soon as around 2030. Yow.

18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Heh, suuuure we will. This same bunch has been predicting the singularity since the 70s.

We don't even have the baby steps towards self-directed AIs yet. We have zygotes, maybe.

We don't even fully understand the nature of consciousness yet, let alone be able to reproduce it. The human brain is still the most complex object we know of, anywhere. We are nowhere in the vicinity of creating a computer network as incredibly interconnected as it is.

Now, do I think it will likely come one day? Yes. Soon? Nope. But I do think humans will be upgrading their own intellects and processing power well before we get sapient AIs. When they arrive, they will likely be as children to the massive processing power of an amplified brain.

- Coeloptera

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    "We are the Borg..."
    There are already digital watches more intelligent than some people I know. :p 

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I agree with Coeloptera. We barely know how the human brain works. How then can we possibly expect to create a machine version?

If I remember correctly, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, the word 'robot' stems from the Czechoslovakian word for 'slave'. Wonder how a sentient mechanoid would react to being called a robot if it knew the origins of the word?

I think Skywarp said it best: "The humans employ far better design standards on their machines than on themselves! What a backward world!"