Free swag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ktulu, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As some of you may know, I make electronic music on my computer, and I'm quite a music lover in general. Having music in my ears is absolutely critical to my well being. Given that said computer is a laptop with typical tinny laptop speakers, headphones are essential to both enjoying and creating music on it. Recently however, the headphone jack got screwed all to hell, making headphones completely useless. Still under warranty, I contacted the company to see if they could help me out, replace the motherboard or do whatever else they could do, but alas - they simply said my issue was NOT covered.

So, balls.

I then looked into external USB soundcards I could plug headphones into and still get good quality. After reading reviews on tons of them, I found the few brands I felt I should trust, and thus ventured out to see if I could find any of them in stores, so as to skirt around any inflation online and shipping prices.

No luck though, they weren't in any of the stores I went to. The last stop though, Wal-Mart, carried USB headphones, 50 bucks. I decided, ok, whatever, let's try it, I'm desperate here. I grabbed some crappy food for dinner, and went to check out.

Two employees were standing there, chatting away, completely not paying attention to anything. I was busy pulling my wallet out of pocket and shuffling through for my debit card. I, myself, barely paying attention like a good little consumer zombie, swiped, grabbed the bags, and headed out.

Well, in the car, I finally decide to check out my receipt. The headphones weren't on there, as you can guess. The employee must have just grabbed it and bagged it, or perhaps it didn't scan? I know she wasn't looking at all, she was looking over her shoulder the whole time at her friend, and as I said, I was busy with my wallet. So, yeah, 50 dollar headphones.... free.

Is it....bad that I'm thinking of keeping them? I'm a poor college kid here you know, can't afford to be a boyscout about it. What do you guys think though?

I imagine such things have probably happened to some of you guys too, so let's hear it!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    Typically I'd say, be honest and take it back, but walmart is a silly-giant chain, and I'm sure their markups will cover it.

Besides, it's not your fault. It's theirs. (bank error in your favor, collect headphones)

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    How do they sound?

And I imagine you'll get the hairy eyeball if you try and return them anyway. Hell, most of Wal-mart's theft is internal.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have done that before and went back in to pay for the item, I'm lame sometimes.

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

IF it was just you at a self check out i would go back and say looked i messed up. but since you actually had a cashier. Their bad.

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just keep them, not your fault and big stores like that have a budget on lost/stolen items anyways so its not that big of a deal to them.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Keep them. I have no love for people that can't/ wont do there jobs right, expecaly when there job is so simple.

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm sure you'd get the biggest WTF? from WM if you tried to um, return and pay...lol

So are they worth it? are they the sweetness?

I say keep 'em, too. Not your fault.

9. Ktulu

News Credits:
    They don't sound bad - not quite as good as the headphones straight through the soundcard, but these will certainly do

And I guess you can't beat the price huh :D 

DC what is it that you got out with and then went back to pay for?

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

keep em

11. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

keep

12. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    It's Wally's fault and the product is not as great as you thought they would be.

Ya man keep'em :thumb 

13. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Like the others said, keep 'em.

14. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Well thanks guys - I don't feel like a thief anymore

It feels goooood to listen to stuff through headphones again

I'm listenin to The Time at the moment, haha. Go 80s, go!

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm probably about as self-righteous as anyone about that stuff, but if I don't notice until I've left the store, I don't go back.

Stores pay their employees poorly, knowing it's likely to translate into poor customer service for me. And I accept it. When that business decision affects them in turn through poor attention to detail, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Also, would the cashier or any other employee of the store call you if they realized that they double-billed you for an item? Of course not.

They created the system and they control it. When it fails and it benefits you, it's on them. I think you're in the ethical clear.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    return em.

smothered in your earwax.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    OOOEEEOOOEEEOOO!

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ This...Exactly.

19. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ahhh torn on this issue. Can't be self righteous, as I am far from perfect. The right thing to do would be to take them back. They have a budget for lost/stolen items, yes, but that doesn't make it right to keep them. However, like you said, not your fault, and because I am sick of Wal-Mart's customer service, and the way you are treated like an annoyance whenever you ask for help their, I say screw it.

Keep 'em. Had it been Target or Best Buy, I would have taken it back. But Wal-Mart could give a crap about their consumers, and it shows in the attitudes of their employees.

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

One time it was a transformer, I believe one of the Autobot brothers from RID, it was under one of my kid's jackets in the cart and I didn't realize it had not been scanned until I was putting the kids' coats on and we were getting ready to go out the main door.

Another time it was some fisher price kid's toy thing that my third son was holding and it never got put on the belt, when I walked back in with it the greeter offered to put a sticker on it!