"Free" shipping on Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by megatroptimus, Sep 4, 2012.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Example #1

Item is $15 with "free" shipping to the US. We all know that regular shipping is included in the price (something like $10 for the item + $5 for shipping). Yet when if I try to buy the item, seller charges full shipping to Canada (or more!) on top of the $15 price instead of substracting the $5 from the Canadian shipping fee.

Example #2

Last night, I emailed some seller from HK who's selling a Macross VF-19. $223 with "free" (airmail) shipping. When I asked how much more to get EMS, he replied "$60". Excuse me? Regular airmail from HK is about $35 for that toy judging by other auctions for that toy sold from HK. So once again, instead of asking $60-$35=$25 extra ($248 total), he's asking me to pay $60 on top of the $35 (so $95 total for shipping, $283 for the toy).

So my question is: WTF?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Can we get a link to the listing?

3. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ermm, thanks.

Buy it from somwehere else then?

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually specify "Free shipping to Domestic US Orders" to avoid any confusion.

And while I really do feel your pain (I import a lot of stuff), I also get where the sellers are coming from, international shipping requires more leg work, is invariably more expensive than you expect (even using the online calculators etc.), and is generally a PITA.

I'm a reasonable and laid back guy, but even I jack up my shipping charges on International buyers in the hope that they won't bother with buying from me. If they REALLY want my item, then the premium "& Handling" fee makes it closer to worth my trouble.

But I can totally see how it would suck from your perspective.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
  6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I have to agree with you on this, DL. I shipped twice to Malaysia (same buyer on both occasions) and took a huge loss on the shipping and handling. Both were big packages with multiple items, some of which were MISB. I think it was partly my fault for not researching the costs of international shipping ahead of time, but it’s still a major pain in the ass. I don’t mind shipping to Canada since the rates are cheaper when compared to Europe or Asia.

7. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can quote as many threads and auctions as you like, all I know is when I tried to play nice using online shipping calculators and such, 9 times out of 10 the shipping was more than what I had charged the buyer, and more than a few times I essentially ended up PAYING to give my stuff away (i.e. what the buyer paid in TOTAL was less than what I ended up paying to ship.)

But I'm a good guy, and I held up my end of the bargain, and spent an extra 10 bucks out of pocket to give my stuff away at a negative-profit.

But one time too many doing that, and now I try to scare off international bidders, no offense.

And again, just as I mentioned, when you're asking him to ship EMS, that means he needs to alter his procedure, make a special trip for you, package the item differently, fill out different paper work, etc. etc.

The extra time and effort may seem like a non-cost to you, but to the seller, that's real time. And time = money. So, yeah, he's requiring you to pay a premium for special treatment. That's fair.

That's been my experience over and over. I have enough experience with Canada, that I only fluff the shipping prices a little, as I've never taken a bath, but everywhere else, no thanks, make it worth my while or don't bother bidding.

That's a seller's right. The buyer has every right to not buy from me. It's a non-issue. Except in a fandom rich with entitlement ;) 

D/L

8. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have bought items with free shipping many times, and have never had any extra cost. Don't know how they can even do that as long as the item is listed with free shipping to your location.

on another note, it really bugs me that some only sell to the US. It seems like the majority of the best priced items, before shipping, won't sell internationally. Yes, it's the seller's right to do so, but I just wish people would do their research and figure out the real shipping cost, rather than just limiting their customer base. Especially when the US economy is bad compared to quite a few other countries. We have the money, you have the product, let's make everyone happy here :D 

9. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Exactly. The seller is free to set what ever conditions he wants for the offer; you're free to accept it or not. You asked how much for certain conditions beyond their offer and they gave you a number. Take it or leave it.

If the seller says 10% discount for usernames starting with an "A", that's there business, even if it has no connection to costs, etc.

The only "WTF" here is your demand that they conform their offer to your preference (e.g., EMS shipping) at the price you want it for. If they lose out on you as a customer, that's their choice.

10. cvmaas

cvmaas Well-Known Member

It's not all about shipping cost, there are other reasons for avoiding international sales. I don't ship out of the continental US for a number of reasons. First, it takes too long to be delivered. I can sell to someone in the US, get the item to them in 3 days or less and get my money in 6 days or less (I have to wait 3 days after delivery to get the funds from paypal)

2) Everything I sell is MISB, why take a risk shipping a collectible overseas when it will be in the delivery system longer, and thus have a higher risk of being damaged.

3) Do our research to figure out real shipping cost? So we are going to spend a couple hours putting box size and weight into various shipping services to see how much it will be to print a label? REALLY? So where is the profit to sell the item going to come from when I am spending real time to find out shipping costs for many different countries and regions? Is it wrong to think that if a buyer wants a seller to invest more time into a sale, that we as sellers shouldn't ask for more money in profit?

11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never ship without tracking anymore. Way too easy for the person to say they didn't get it and eBay will always side with them. International priority mail or nothing. I use the calculator and never have problems.

12. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sell all sorts of different things on ebay and the forums of various hobbies I am into. I only ship to the continental US. International shipping is too much of a hassle and you don't make anymore money. I have only been burnt by international shipping. I have a day job, wife, kid, and it's hard enough finding time to take pictures and list things.

Tracking is becoming a must, because ebay/paypal will always side with the buyer. Hell you can't even give buyer's negative feedback anymore.

13. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

people are wary of international sales because the untrackability of the cheaper shipping option, even it's low value item still sucks for the seller when the buyer simply claim item lost in their postal system and get full refund. trackable shipping starts at $35-40 which doesn't make a lot sense if the seller expects the item to sell for $10. also if it's domestic shipping, the seller always has the option of flying to buyer and 'settle' the problem personally if the seller gets screwed over because domestic flights are relatively cheap, not so with buyer in malaysia.

14. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Destrongerlupus, you have to understand that the OP is always right no matter the discussion. I too sell on ebay and will ship US only. Ive had people plead with me to ship elsewhere but its just not worth it to me. Depending on where you ship, theres more forms to fill out, fees to calculate, and theres far more potential for "lost" packages than domestic shipping.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    For me, there are only three shipping options: "Germany", "European Union" and "Everywhere else". Beyond that, shipping costs only depend on packaging dimensions and weight. With some experience, you have a pretty good feeling what you can ship at what cost. It's really mostly a matter of "trying it a few times to get to know the options".

16. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

This. I just got out of a horrendous situation with a buyer who was having the item shipped to an APO address. And at least that, I could still track to some degree.

I now refuse to ship to APOs without being contacted by a prospective buyer beforehand.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I wish people who ship internationally wouldn't just charge $50.00 for a tiny toy - as that's what the shipping calculator pops up with as default if they actually go to say (the USPS) website it will give you a huge more bunch of options based on size, weight and flexibility that the postal calculator does not give.

Oh and the calculator is nonsense sometimes I've had quotes of $325.00 for 12kilos and then I go look it up properly and it's actually $68.00 (give or take).

If your selling the same stuff you only need to look stuff up the once after all. all Transformers deluxes cost the same to post to the specific family of destinations.

As a UKster I can say I don't mind posting to Europe at all it's usually pretty cheap and even huge boxes are no trouble.

America or Asia fortunately isn't an issue very often as the shipping to there is a bit expensive. I sell more to Australia than I do to America despite being literally the other side of the world. Outside the UK most to the places things go is The Netherlands, Eire, Spain, Germany, Italy and various Eastern European destinations. Though just lately France seems to be the popular place for people to buy from me.

I must be selling things you can't get in France I suppose.

18. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    As a European buyer, both from eBay and right here in the BST forum, I am aware of the trouble it can be to ship stuff from the US, and of the risk it can be not knowing if the person you are shipping to is dependable. So I am always appreciative of anyone who will take the risk, and I never complain about extra shipping costs. Although on eBay, obviously excessive shipping costs will get just one star in the shipping costs ratings. Most excessive shipping I've had charged has been by the TFCC though... Even customs are often surprised shipping costs with them are higher than the item value }:-(

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It's like Amazon free super saver shipping. You want it shipped free, it's on their terms and timetable. You want it faster or across international borders? You pay more.

If that doesn't work for you, find another seller.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

How much does this figure typically go for pre-shipping anyway?