Freaky Physics Proves Parallel Universes Exist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prowl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm seeing a whole lot of "may"s, unfounded extrapolations from basic results, and pop culture - based speculation, but not actually any "proof" in this article.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The proof is in the existence of the Article.

4. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Not true, for every person who hasn't read the article yet, the article exists in a simultaneous superposition of existant and non-existant states. Schrodinger's Link, if you will.

Can you point out to me where in the article the "proof" is? All I see is a bunch of people talking about multi-universe theory and special relativity without really relating it back to anything more than the fact that the results of one study could be, maybe, proof to support these theories possibly. And I didn't read anything about the paranormal in the article.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I was disappointed the article didn't really explain much about the results of the experiment. Talked all about the set up and that the 'paddle' was observed to be moving & stationary at the same time. Period. Ok, so... how is that? What do you mean by that? And what does it mean?

The article actually sounds like the Lost writers have a new viral ad campaign.

6. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ironically, since every possibility that can possibly exist does exist in an alternate universe, in some universe out there, they just proved that alternate universes do not exist.

7. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    "What's your greatest accomplishment in life?"

"I made a paddle stand still and vibrate at the same time."

"Uh...huh..."

8. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Yeah, I'm stuck at the move and not move at the same time. But do he think it moved so fast that the observer can only see 3 states of it, At rest (middle state), when it is decelerating to change directions towards each side? For example: \ | /
    And the reason when he saw the middle state (aka: not moving) is because the paddle had to cross it twice per cycle?

You know what I think is freaky, and probably relates to our limitations of visual perception, when you look at something spinning so fast that it appear to look like it's moving in the opposite direction.

9. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    But if alternate universes do exist, proving conclusively they do not is a possibility that cannot exist, meaning that universe cannot exist. Still with me? =P

The study in question is this

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/296667-schroedingers-cat-now-reality.html

which should help you figure out what they mean.

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I've actually been accidentally casually hopping dimensions for quite some years now. But it's not really alternate realities, more like overlapping things. The people you see are still the same people, not alternate versions or whatever. Sometimes stuff changes around you..objects like signs, or colors, or small events. Nothing to worry about.

TRUE STORY.

11. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Err. I need more information on this. Even looking a the Josephson effect, I still don't see how they could have gotten 2 states. A freq to voltage converter using the Josephson effect still doesn't tell me how can the get 0 Volts and not 0 volts, assuming that was used.

And the qubits, what makes us think it should behave normally when supercooled. (I guess if memory serve me correct, superconducters are supercooled). Too much and Too little info... I can see it now. :D 

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I actually just started reading Sean Carroll's book "From Eternity To Here." He's the Cal Tech Physicist that's mentioned in the article. I barely touched the first chapter but early on he talks about how time is not linear and that depending on what dimension you are in, Time's "Arrow," so to speak, can point in various directions. For example, in our dimension, Time's Arrow goes from past----->present----->future. However, he hypothesizes that in other dimensions it might be backward, due to the multiverse theory.

He also goes on to say that its widely accepted that we live in 4 dimensions, if you count time as a dimension. However, he likes to look at time as a spatial coordinate like x, y, and z instead of as a temporal coordinate. So to him, our universe that we perceive exists on 4 spatial coordinates instead of the standard 3 spatial + 1 temporal coordinate, which sums up the 4 dimensions of Space-Time.

It's interesting stuff. Dont' know how much of it I will believe or even understand, but something to ponder nonetheless. Makes for great bedtime reading too! :D 

Also, as a side, I find the idea of the paddle moving, yet not moving akin to the Season 3 G1 Episode "Forever Is A Long Time Coming." It reminds me particularly of the part where Superion is literally at two places at once when the temporal ripples go by.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wonder how a paralel TFW2005 is.. :p 

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

:ev:  And just when you guys thought one of me was bad enough...

I shall go meet my alternate Universe self, and together we shall rule the multiverse! Muwahahahaha!

15. FreshDebesh

Hopefully its like how our TFW2005 was circa 2002. I'd find a way to jump to that TFW board if I could.

Hey sport, if you read the article you'd realize there's actually just one of you, in various locations since we're all multiphasic objects. Get with the program kiddo. :p 

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Aah, I see. Then I shall capture myself in those various locations and build a legion under my control! Yes! It's brilliant! :ev: 

Physics like this sure is mind boggling. It took me a year to understand what CERN was trying to do with the LHC and how it won't destroy the world :lol 
    Man I wish we had dimension-hopping/timetravel device like the Delorean or TARDIS.

17. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

It's not TFW2005. It's HSW5002 (Homo Sapien World 5002) where giant robots known as Cybertronians go online and chat about their favorite show made up of fictional creatures known as "Humans" :p 

18. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Interesting.

Actually, the TARDIS can't dimension-hop anymore since the walls of reality were closed by the extinction of the Time Lords. If you do manage to get there by pushing down a particular part while the console room is on Coral for 10 minutes straight, you're stuck in that paralell universe anyway, or you could be trapped in the Void and starve to death. Wouldn't recommend it.

God, I am such a geek.

19. FreshDebesh

Bleh, more Dr. Who nonsense is it?

20. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Fox news, so I must get the salt shaker for this one.